Permissions... So near and yet so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CraftyClown

Patron
Ok, so I really am nearly there!

I've gone from only a few weeks ago, having a Freenas box that simply held my movie collection and my music via Plex, needing no interaction from me. Just the idea of opening a shell, adding a user or even talking about permissions terrified me...

To today, where I have a fully automated Home entertainment system, using Plex, Sick rage, Couch Potato, Headphones, Mylar and BTSync. I have a stack of CIFS shares. I take regular snapshots of my jails and weekly backups of my datasets. I've learnt how to SSH in and I have a VPN set up.

I only have one or two minor problems remaining

The first one is a permissions issue related to my Mylar plugin. Mylar has a user:group of media:media (UID 816) I access the comics Mylar manages from a windows machine, therefore I have added a user in Freenas that matches my Windows 8.1 login. The username is Richard and I have set the group to media, the same as my Mylar plugin.

Everything works fine apart from the fact, Mylar cannot delete anything I create via the CIFS share and I cannot delete anything Mylar creates

Could someone nudge me in the right direction?

Attachments

• A file produced by me.jpg
    A file produced by me.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 268
  • A file produced by Mylar.jpg
    A file produced by Mylar.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 289

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Is the dataset type windows or Unix? Also what is the output of ls -l or getfacl on the files in question?

CraftyClown

Patron
Is the dataset type windows or Unix? Also what is the output of ls -l or getfacl on the files in question?

The dataset is Unix

I cannot ls -l the files due to the naming of the folders:

[root@freenas /mnt/TV/Media_3/Comics]# ls -l Fairest (2012)
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('

Is there another way around that?

If I look at the files in Filezilla via ssh, my files have permissions 775, Mylar's files are 660

I've attached screenshots

Attachments

• My file 775.jpg
    My file 775.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 335
  • Mylars file 660.jpg
    Mylars file 660.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 287

CraftyClown

Patron
Ok, I ran ls -l on the entire comic folder, and the following are two examples. One created by me and one by Mylar:

drwxrwxrwx 2 Media Media 9 Feb 28 15:41 The Cleaners (2008)
drwxrwxr-x 2 Richard Media 6 Feb 21 20:29 The Dying & the Dead (2015)

CraftyClown

Patron
My dataset is also set as Richard:Media (775)

Is it possible, this is causing problems?

I also just noticed my User Richard isn't allowed group write permissions (see screenshot) If I add them the setting doesn't take

Very odd!

EDIT:

So I've made a minor breakthrough.

I changed the UID of Richard to 816, the same as Media and I can now delete the files made by Mylar

Is there a downside to me having the same UID as Media?

EDIT 2:

So the downside of that, was that once Freenas was rebooted the user permissions got totally confused and everything was marked as unknown user and I couldn't work with any of the files. Changing back to a UID of 1001 fixed it.

So back where I started :(

Attachments

• Richard dataset.jpg
    Richard dataset.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 309
  • Richard user.jpg
    Richard user.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:

CraftyClown

Patron
Bueller... Bueller... Bueller... Anyone?

lol. Sorry, couldn't resist a little bit of Ferris there ;)

So I'm still really struggling here. The only significant problem I still have, is that Mylar cannot overwrite any files that I manually add or set permissions for, via my CIFS share.

I'm thinking of setting the whole data set to 777, but surely that is an unnecessary risk? I just can't get Windows and Unix to play nice together :(

EDIT:

Urghhhh! Have I been a complete dummy here? Should my data sets be Windows rather than Unix? I could have sworn that way back when, I read they should be set as Unix for maximum compatibility, but taking a closer look at the Freenas 9.3 manual, it appears I should be set as Windows

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

It should definitely be a Windows dataset running Windows permission type if you're using CIFS.

CraftyClown

Patron
It should definitely be a Windows dataset running Windows permission type if you're using CIFS.

I did change my dataset to windows, but unfortunately my problems have gotten worse :(

I have full access to all my files via windows clients, but Mylar is almost completely crippled permissions wise.

Running out of ideas now

rich110

Cadet
Sorry to bump an old thread, but @CraftyClown - did you even get on top of your Freenas / Mylar permission problems? I'm in a similar boat trying to negotiate plugin/system permissions.

rich110

Cadet
Hi Crafty, the problems I was having are described here ion the mylar site. I think the problem was that the freenas mylar plugin could not correctly handle user:group permissions that are entered into the mylar settings interface. In the end, trying to solve the issue I made such a tangled mess of my permissions that I ended up deleting the entire mylar plugin/jail, the comics dataset and cifs share and just starting from scratch. now it all works great.
Cheers, Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.