Dabbler
So I run several basic servers:
Sickrage
Couchpotato
Mylar
Transmission
Sabnzbd

SR, CP and Mylar all auto-update from within the application
Sabnzbd alerts to updates but doesn't update automatically (yet)

Anyway, from the Plugins Tab on the Freenas console there is sometimes the option to UPDATE the plugin.

In the past I have done this once or twice and cause a major headache for myself because I didn't realize I would loss all the application settings/configurations.

My questions is this:

Is it better to just update through the application or is there a benefit to updating the plugin from the published PBI?

If the PBI has added benefit, what is the method to saving/backingUp/ preserving application settings and data?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I produce most of the PBIs so I might have a bias. But, I prefer when applications update themselves because it makes my job easier.
As for backing up sabnzbd/transmission, everything you need to backup is in /var/db/PLUGIN_NAME.

cloud

Dabbler
Thank you for the quick response.
So would I be correct to assume that the PBI is packaged version of the relatively current version of the Application ONLY?
Does anything else in the JAIL get updated from the PBI?

is there a way to turn OFF the Freenas update feature? it bugs me to see the update button when I KNOW I'm running the latest version.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Thank you for the quick response.
So would I be correct to assume that the PBI is packaged version of the relatively current version of the Application ONLY?
Does anything else in the JAIL get updated from the PBI?

is there a way to turn OFF the Freenas update feature? it bugs me to see the update button when I KNOW I'm running the latest version.
the pbi includes the application and dependencies, most of these stay in /usr/pbi and don't effect anything, but sometimes I do have to link libraries/binaries to the /usr/local for things to work properly.

hmm, you could put a fake address for your plugin repo

Status
Not open for further replies.