Plex on NAS

Steff0252

Dabbler
Hello
Has built iTrueNas about 36TB distributed on some poles

I am a total beginner in both NAS values and Plex

I have previously saved movies, music, etc. in various folders.
I have subscribed to Plex and want to install it on my Nas

I have watched various YouTube videos how, but have not been able to find anyone who can help me install Plex on already created folders with media content.

Is there any such help?
The video help I have watched is for totally empty folders where you have to add material!
Is it possible to install Plex on existing content folders?

Would be grateful for help
Steff

NugentS

MVP
Yes - but bear two things in mind.
1. You have to set up mount points to mount the existing media into the TN jail/docker
2. Permissions - the user running inside the jail / docker needs permissions on the files. You do this by finding the UID the in jail user is using and then duplicate that in Core/Scale and then giving that user permissions to the files

Steff0252

Dabbler
Hello
Thanks for your reply
Since I'm new to this, maybe you know if there is any video (YouTube), on the whole, that would have made it easier?

Steff

kherr

Explorer
Many ......

ddaenen1

Patron
2 things need to be done:

1. you need to define mountpoints in the jail

jail1.JPG

jail2.JPG

2. You need to add the directories to your library in Plex

plex.JPG

NugentS

MVP
1.5 Permissions - the user running inside the jail / docker needs permissions on the files. You do this by finding the UID the in jail user is using and then duplicate that in Core/Scale and then giving that user permissions to the files

Otherwise plex won't see the files - potentially, depending upon what the default ACL is set to

Steff0252

Dabbler
Thanks for your advice

I have tried to give permission to everyone in jail, but when I get Plex it does not find the folders

But I will not give up
Thanks

NugentS

MVP
The permissions must be applied at the TN level. Not the Jail (assuming the source folders are outside the jail)

NugentS

MVP
TrueNAS

Steff0252

Dabbler
Sorry, of course, have not started thinking about abbreviations

You mean I have to give permission to the user and group, as I have done
I have created datasets in my pool's (which I have seen on video) entered the ACL and given permission as user and root
I have shared in Share SMB for each pool and dataset
Where else should I give permission in TN

NugentS

MVP
2. Permissions - the user running inside the jail / docker needs permissions on the files. You do this by finding the UID the in jail user is using and then duplicate that in Core/Scale and then giving that user permissions to the files

So plex runs inside the plex jail as user ID xxx (probably 900 and something) - look in /etc/passwd
Create a user in TN with that UID and give that user permissions to the Datasets that are being mounted

Steff0252

Dabbler

So plex runs inside the plex jail as user ID xxx (probably 900 and something) - look in /etc/passwd
Create a user in TN with that UID and give that user permissions to the Datasets that are being mounted
now I understand, so what I see in the shell that plex is XXX, then I have to create a user with that number and assign it in the ACL and everywhere else?

My TN

Attachments

• Pools 1.bmp
    9.9 MB · Views: 162
  • Pools 2.bmp
    9.9 MB · Views: 175
  • Pools 3.bmp
    9.9 MB · Views: 139
  • SMB.bmp
    9.9 MB · Views: 140

NugentS

MVP