Plex not connecting to outside but new installation DOES (corrupted?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptcadoc

Dabbler
Dear Gurus

I’m stuck with a problem that I’m desperate to get some help on from you smart folks. Disclaimer: I made a FreeNas server a couple of years ago following instructions all over the web and run basically a Plex media server that has been running FINE for the last 2 years. I very (VERY) little as you will see shortly so please indulge me and I most appreciate your patience.

System
  • FreeNAS-9.10.2-U6
  • Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6400 CPU @ 2.70GHz
  • The server has 2 ethernet ports and have ALWAYS been connected with 2 ethernet cables to the router (don't ask me why)
  • So - I've always been able to access the FreeNas web GUI using 192.168.0.104 and 192.168.0.105. I don’t know if this is relevant
A week ago I made the mistake of trying out a new Orbi Mesh router (from a TP link one that was working fine). Long story but basically it was awful so returned it. Hooked up my FreeNas box the router and all sorts of weird things started to happen to the server with Plex becoming inaccessible from the outside. Ultimately returned back to the TP link router and I notice the following
  1. Plex is accessible locally but not to the outside
  2. Plex will NOT download any new metadata (was doing it perfectly before all this). Seems like it’s not able to access the internet because even when I paste a URL for a poster it fails to download it
  3. I set up a NEW Plex server on the same FreeNas box and it IS accessible remotely. So the server seems to work but just not with the old installation
So here's the plex interface of the old PMS
upload_2018-2-27_21-12-34.png

And the new PMS
upload_2018-2-27_21-13-2.png

Here's the router interface showing that both Plex servers are automatically configured to allow outside access
upload_2018-2-27_21-17-43.png

Here are a few screenshots of the FreeNas interface
upload_2018-2-27_21-19-2.png

Both plug-ins are "on"
upload_2018-2-27_21-19-57.png

Both JAILS are 'running' but the new server jail IP is different
upload_2018-2-27_21-20-56.png

Old PMS jail config - the /24 (255.255.255.0) is not present in the new PMS jail config and I can't remove or change it
upload_2018-2-27_21-22-1.png

upload_2018-2-27_21-22-16.png

I'm sure it's obvious I am pretty clueless. I appreciate any suggestions and thoughts. I had this server running fine for 2 years until I changed the router which is quite painful. I have thought of just moving to the new Plex server installation but means I'll have to do all the configuration again and it will have to download all the posters and other metadata again

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-27_21-15-2.png
    upload_2018-2-27_21-15-2.png
    20.9 KB · Views: 303

nojohnny101

Wizard
A couple of things. You are running a very old version of FreeNAS that is no longer supported. You should upgrade when you get the chance.

Secondly, can you take a screenshot of the jail configuration settings of the one that is working? Compare the two and see what is different. That will point you in the correct direction.

If I had to guess, your old PMS jail is set to DHCP and didn't get assigned the the IP address it had previously, so that port forwarding rule you have setup on your router is no longer applying. You hold uncheck DHCP server for any jail, assign it a static IP, then make sure your port forwarding rule is pointing to that static IP.

ptcadoc

Dabbler
Thank you so much for replying. Point taken about the older version of FreeNas. So are you saying if I upgrade to FreeNas 11 (which I believe is the new version) it might rectify things?

Regarding the configuration screenshots I don't see a difference
upload_2018-2-27_22-16-49.png

This is the config of the server that IS working
upload_2018-2-27_22-17-11.png

Regarding the portforwarding comment you made, the system automatically set that up as pasted earlier (UP&P is enabled which as I believe allows a plug-and-play configuration to automatically take place). Regarding your suggestion, are you suggesting I place a static IP instead of "DHCP" here (say 192.168.0.200) .....
upload_2018-2-27_22-21-26.png

And then set it up on the TP link router as a "virtual server" as below:
upload_2018-2-27_22-35-58.png

Does that sound correct? For "external port" I picked 12689 from the UP&P display which gave this number to the Plex server that's not working (see below). Is that correct?

upload_2018-2-27_22-39-17.png

Also, once I do this (assuming any of the above I've written is correct) do I disable the "UP&P" option (see above)

Many thanks for your patience and help.

nojohnny101

Wizard
No I would sort out this issue first before upgrading. But after this is sorted out, I would personally upgrade.

Yes. Uncheck DHCP, set any static IP for your jail that is within your router's range. Then go to your router and create a new virtual server with the correct parameters. Should work. And you don't need UPnP on. Turn that off unless you are using it for some other purpose.

ptcadoc

Dabbler
Also, when I go into the router I find that the router has assigned a DHCP IP address to the new WORKING PMS but there the now non-working PMS has no mention and no IP assigned to it.
upload_2018-2-27_22-47-45.png

Do I have to assign the non-working PMS (plexmediaserver_1) a static IP (say 192.168.0.200) at the router level also and if so, how do I manually enter it (I mean to say, do I just copy the MAC address for the plexmediaserver_3 (new working PMS) because it's likely to be the same?

Many thanks

ptcadoc

Dabbler
No I would sort out this issue first before upgrading. But after this is sorted out, I would personally upgrade.

Yes. Uncheck DHCP, set any static IP for your jail that is within your router's range. Then go to your router and create a new virtual server with the correct parameters. Should work. And you don't need UPnP on. Turn that off unless you are using it for some other purpose.

Thanks so much for your prompt reply. So in the jail config I uncheck DHCP but bit confused as to what to enter in the 3 ip4 rows. The static IP 192.168.0.200 should go where? Then it's got a start and end iP address do I put the same 192.168.0.200 in all three rows?

upload_2018-2-27_22-55-41.png

Appreciate your help and patience.

nojohnny101

Wizard
Do these steps:

1) delete the new PMS jail you created as that one doesn't have your data anyway and you said you don't know how to move your data over to the new one. so let's just fix the old one

2) go into the old PMS jail settings and and manually enter an IP address after unchecking DHCP. Make sure all the other appropriate settings are set such as IPv4 default gateway (the IP address of your router) and IPv4 net mask (which is most likely 255.255.255.0, but check your router's settings and it should tell you)

3) note the Mac address of the jail (scroll down)

4) go to your TP link router, delete all settings that are related to the new PMS jail and even the old one (including virtual servers [port forwards] and any static address reservations if you had them)

5) make sure you click the "advanced" tab at the top of the router settings window

6) click on "security" then "IP and MAC Binding"

7) make sure "ARP binding" is on

8) scroll down and add a new entry under "binding list". enter the Mac address of the jail and the static IP address of the jail you picked earlier, give it a description name of whatever you want.

9) go to "network" tab on left side, click on "DHCP server"

10) under address reservation, add an entry and enter the same details (jail IP address, jail MAC address, and a description)

11) go to "NAT Forwarding" tab on left side and click on "virtual servers"

12) under virtual servers add a new entry and set "service type" to plex (enter manually), "external port" to 32400, "internal IP" to the static IP of your jail, then "internal port" to 32400, and "protocol" to "All"

ptcadoc

Dabbler
Hi

Thank you so much for taking the time out to do this. I followed what you suggestd to the letter.
upload_2018-2-27_23-42-54.png

upload_2018-2-27_23-44-49.png

upload_2018-2-27_23-43-34.png

upload_2018-2-27_23-46-59.png

upload_2018-2-27_23-45-37.png

A couple of things happened

1. At the outset the FreeNas decided to "crash" and started to scroll endlessly displaying this
IMG_0238.JPG

2. Restarted the server and Plex now won't even connect locally (previously could). Then the crash happened again !

3. Rebooted and looked at FreeNas settings and plex server config has reverted back to DHCP !
upload_2018-2-27_23-50-15.png

However Jail IS showing the assigned "static" IP
upload_2018-2-27_23-51-17.png

When I check the router I don't see the Plex server connected in the DHCP list

4. Troublesome thing is that now even locally I can't access the Plex server!

Any thoughts? Appreciate your help greatly

ptcadoc

Dabbler
I also notice this appearing in the router even though I deleted this earlier
upload_2018-2-28_0-3-41.png

So the same MAC address is being given 2 IP addresses? A static one and another one ? Could that have any bearing on this ?

Many thanks

nojohnny101

Wizard
You got something seriously wrong if changing the IP address of one of your jails is kernel crashing your FreeNAS box.

Yes that means it was assigned the 192.169.0.2 instead of the static IP you set. Which makes sense as when you rebooted DHCP was selected.

I'm not sure why your FreeNAS box "crashes" when you set a static IP in the jail. Can you reproduce this? Does it happen every time you change the IP address to a static one? Also are you sure you are getting MAC address of the jail and NOT The freeNAS box?

ptcadoc

Dabbler
You got something seriously wrong if changing the IP address of one of your jails is kernel crashing your FreeNAS box.

Yes that means it was assigned the 192.169.0.2 instead of the static IP you set. Which makes sense as when you rebooted DHCP was selected.

I'm not sure why your FreeNAS box "crashes" when you set a static IP in the jail. Can you reproduce this? Does it happen every time you change the IP address to a static one? Also are you sure you are getting MAC address of the jail and NOT The freeNAS box?

No it's not reproducible you're right. As far as I know that's the MAC address of the jail and not the FreeNAS box.

nojohnny101

Wizard
Well I'm out of ideas. The only other thing you can do is to possibly restart your router to force it to reassign IPs based on your rules.

Maybe you should save your plex database then destroy your jail and recreate it if you can't get it working. then when you have the new jail up and running, you put your saved database into the new installation.

Go through my steps again and make sure you follow every step.

ptcadoc

Dabbler
Well I'm out of ideas. The only other thing you can do is to possibly restart your router to force it to reassign IPs based on your rules.

Maybe you should save your plex database then destroy your jail and recreate it if you can't get it working. then when you have the new jail up and running, you put your saved database into the new installation.

Go through my steps again and make sure you follow every step.

Thanks. I realize this may sound stupid but how do I go about saving the plex database (and putting the saved database in the new installation)? That's what I'd like to do but not sure how to go about it.

Appreciate the help very much.

ptcadoc

Dabbler
OMFG !!! Genius !!! I turned the router on and off as you suggested and it's working with full remote access, managing to download metadata etc. Thank you so very much !!!!!!!!! I'm so grateful for your help and the time you took out.

On a separate note, I will be extremely grateful if you could walk me through the process by which to back up the plex database so that the next time (if and when) something happens and I have to set up a new server I could just copy the data and not lose it.

Once again many thanks

nojohnny101

Wizard
Glad you got it working!

As far as the backing up the plex database, just google it, there are more than one thread on how to do it. No sense in me retyping it here.

ptcadoc

Dabbler
I will google it. I actually have several times but all very confusing but I will do so again. Doubt if I could find as crystal clear a set of instructions as the one you outlined so might ask for more help. Many thanks

nojohnny101

Wizard
I just double checked and the path is:

SSH into your plex jail
- jls
- noted the JID of your plex jail then type "jexec JID tcsh" where JID is the number for plex
- then navigate to:
/usr/local/plexdata-plexpass/

you should see a folder called "Plex Media Server". From what I understand, that is the database.
NOTE: in the path above, my location is plexdata-plexpass because I have a plex pass, yours may differ.

ptcadoc

Dabbler
I just double checked and the path is:

SSH into your plex jail
- jls
- noted the JID of your plex jail then type "jexec JID tcsh" where JID is the number for plex
- then navigate to:
/usr/local/plexdata-plexpass/

you should see a folder called "Plex Media Server". From what I understand, that is the database.
NOTE: in the path above, my location is plexdata-plexpass because I have a plex pass, yours may differ.

Thank you so much for replying. I also have a plex pass. Having said that, ran into a snag - I went to FreeNas and after a bit of trial and error managed to switch on "SSH" under services. Then after a bit of trial and error managed to find the "SHELL" function and go to root@plexmediaserver_1. But now can't seem to get to the folder you're mentioning. Obviously I'm doing something wrong but not sure what

upload_2018-3-1_22-22-59.png

Appreciate the help very much

Of note: My plex data is on a SSD in the server. Back then 2 years ago I was told it'd be a good idea to put the Plex data including posters on an SSD which I guess was true. On my network, however, I do NOT see the SSD as a volume I can access or browse. Not sure if this is relevant but thought I'd mention it.

nojohnny101

Wizard
Hmm that is strange that it is telling you permission denied. You can turn off "SSH" if you don't use it. It is not required to use the shell from the GUI.

can you do an "ls -la" right after you execute the command "jexec 2 tcsh"?

nojohnny101

Wizard
You need to type "cd usr" then do "ls -la" to see what files are in the directory.

The cd command navigates you into the directory specified, so "cd usr" puts you into the usr folder. then when you "ls -la" again you list the files and directories with their assigned permissions of the directory you are in (in this case, usr, because you just navigated there).

Does that make sense? so go through each level of that path and then you'll get to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.