Plex - Not available outside your network

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have tried everything I can think of and for some reason the Plex server is sayin "Not available outside your network".

I have checked my router and made sure it had UPnP support and did all the steps to solve it on plex support page... unfortunately I can not figure out for the life of me how to get my plex server working from outside my current network.

KYvhDK2.png

INCSlayer

Contributor
have you tried manually port forwarding on your router?
if you have issues after you have manually port forwarded it might be an issue with your ISP.

saikee

Explorer
Port forwarding works out fine for me as I have been struggling with exactly the same problem.

Most home users do not have a static IP address and Port forwarding seems to be the best cure. It enable one's Plex libraries to be shared in every lounge with a smart TV.

In a nutshell from your first post your internal network address is 192.168.1.22:32400. 32400 is the private port insisted by Plex. Externally to the outside world your IP address is 67.214.239.46:0. You can find from your router create a designated port for forwarding. Use a high number for security like 34560 to be linked with the internal private port 32400 used by Plex.

You then have equivalent 67.214.239.46:34500 indicated and then select "Manually specifiy public port" and "Enable remote access". Your Plex will be available to the Internet with a green sign. The public address 67.214.239.46 can get changed by your ISP from time to time but the specified port 34560 should remains unchanged and is the key for remote access.

Last edited:

raidflex

Guru
You can also use services like DynDNS for a dedicated domain instead of using your IP which can change.

UPNP can work or just plain puke. Set the port forward manually https://portforward.com/ . Also check the box to manually specify the port in the Plex GUI.

A Dynamic DNS service is nice but in all honesty all you need to do is go to plex.tv and log in then click launch. If you don't want to do that then I would suggest freedns.afraid setup a ping script and run it as a task and it will work beautifully.

Hazimil

Contributor
I had the same problem, all configured as expected UPnP available on the router, but just not seeing Plex. What finally worked for me, was having the Plex Management Console open (on the FreeNAS box), and then powering off and on my router.

When it kicked backed in, all of a sudden Plex and the router talked via UPnP.

Yours
Jonathan

raidflex

Guru
I had the same problem, all configured as expected UPnP available on the router, but just not seeing Plex. What finally worked for me, was having the Plex Management Console open (on the FreeNAS box), and then powering off and on my router.

When it kicked backed in, all of a sudden Plex and the router talked via UPnP.

Yours
Jonathan

UPnP is nice when it works but if you can port forward its more secure to do that and disable UPnP.

Status
Not open for further replies.