PLEX server installation issues.

LinuxNewb

Cadet
Good evening all,

First off: Disclaimer - I'm a damn noob. I'm as new as they get. I've had a TrueNAS Core server for a week, and for most of that week, I've been away from home. 2nd, I've had a Plex server on Windows.... Once... But that was years ago.

I've decided I wanted redundancy (still looking for an offsite backup plan), and plex again. I have a ton of DVDs and CDs I'd love to rip and have access to everywhere. One step at a time. Read up a bit, looking at different operating systems and the like, and saw a lot of good things about ZFS, and TrueNAS. So, I bit the bullet and installed TrueNAS on a self built server. I'll post the details below. I then went to install Plex and noted that the plug-ins don't work anymore and came across a post danb35 for a scripted installation of Plex. Didn't work out well. I found a YouTube video by Yorick and followed that as well. Still no dice. After some trial and error (mostly error) I have come to the conclusion that the plexmediaserver service just won't start. That's kinda where I'm stuck.

A few basics:
I'm running a home built server on some old parts some new. I've listed the hardware below.
CPU: Intel I7-6700k
Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero
RAM: 1 stick of DDR4 3200mhz memory
OS HDD: 250 GB Western Digital WD_BLACK Sn770 m.2 gen4 NVME drive
Storage HDD: 2 x Seagate IronWolf Pro 8TB 7200 RPM mechanical drives
PSU: Corsair RM Series RM650

As of now, I have the following jails:
PLEX_Server (This was created before running the script from danb35's github.)
pms (This is the jail created from the script)

The TrueNAS server has a static IP of 192.168.50.200
The pms jail has a static IP of 192.168.50.201
And the router is at 192.168.50.1

I can ping from inside the pms jail. I've pinged my router, my desktops and www.google.com. All provide positive results.

From inside the jail I've run:
"service plexmediaserver start" and received "Startintg plexmediaserver."
"service plexmediaserver status" and received "plexmediaserver is not running."

I also can't seem to access the the plex management portal on the web. Trying to navigate to 192.168.50.201:32400/web provides the following result:
This site can't be reached
192.168.50.201 refused to connect.

Being so new, I'm not sure where to look next. Any help would be provided. Any criticism will be received constructively. Here to learn and to grow.

Thank you all!

LinuxNewb

Cadet
A couple of parts I left out, my apologies for the omissions.

Jail info:
PLEX_Server - Release 13.2-RELEASE - 172.16.0.2/30
pms - Release - 13.2-RELEASE - 192.168.50.201/24

Router IP: 192.168.50.1
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Stikeeno

Cadet
I'm having kind of the saem issue.. I installed PLEX_Server - Release 13.2-RELEASE and am able to ping the outside world via the shell. However, I am not able to access the plexwebUI. The plugin and jail seem to be ok. I chose NAT and VNET because I want an allocated IP for my server. Any ideas?
Running: TrueNAS-13.0-U6.1

Thank you.

LinuxNewb

Cadet
I just wanted to see if there was anyone who might be able to lend a hand on this. If I can't get plex running, I may have to end up going to windows, and I REALLY don't want to do that. ZFS just seems SOOOO much better. I hate to bump, but I'm not sure if any have seen this.

Stikeeno

Cadet
I just wanted to see if there was anyone who might be able to lend a hand on this. If I can't get plex running, I may have to end up going to windows, and I REALLY don't want to do that. ZFS just seems SOOOO much better. I hate to bump, but I'm not sure if any have seen this.
After spending many hours on TrueNas Core I made the decision to move to TrueNas Scale and have to say it seems to work much better than Core and much easier to setup. Plex after trying to figure things out worked without any issues. I would recommend moving to Scale. Just a thought.

LinuxNewb

Cadet
Thanks Stikeeno, I'll definitely take that into consideration. My only concern with Scale is that it appears to not be as stable/finished as Core is? I can't say one way or the other though, since I haven't really had a chance to try out Core to make a meaningful impression of the OS and Plex service. Will definitely read up on Scale though.

Stikeeno

Cadet
Thanks Stikeeno, I'll definitely take that into consideration. My only concern with Scale is that it appears to not be as stable/finished as Core is? I can't say one way or the other though, since I haven't really had a chance to try out Core to make a meaningful impression of the OS and Plex service. Will definitely read up on Scale though.
I had the same concerns but after doing some reading it seems Scale with its latest revision is much more stable. The issue with Core for me was it didn’t support my network card which was concerning. However with Scale it had all the drivers I needed for my Server. Now I could be wrong, but this leads me to believe that Scale might be the future. it’s been running for a few days with snapshots and S.M.A.R.T enabled and everything is running smooth, and I also find it quicker than Core running my Plex media. Again, this is my impression from what I’ve seen but I could be wrong but going forward I’m sticking with scale. Good luck.