Plex : Not authorized. You do not have access to this server

xlameee

Explorer
Hello

I am running TrueNAS-12.0-U6

I have follow this guide and many others

but all I get is

2021-11-19_13-03-41.png

any idea why. I've been trying from some time to install and configure PLEX without any success

HITMAN

Dabbler
Did you access plex for the first time from same network?
Lets say plex is 10.10.10.200 .. first time you have to access it from 10.10.10._number_

xlameee

Explorer
I just installed a fresh Plex on a new server yesterday (with the danb35 script) and ran into this problem myself, because I wasn't local to my LAN, I happened to be on my road warrior VPN. I ended up fixing it by adding an entry to Plex's Preferences.xml:

allowedNetworks="10.165.5.0/255.255.255.0"

where that network (in my case) is the one for my OpenVPN connection. So that's another alternative to nikkon's tunneling approach.

Once you can get access to the Plex Media Server, you can further modify this allowed networks list under Settings...Network; you don't need to edit the Preferences.xml file directly again.

This fixed my issue Thank you

Noviets

Cadet
I'm also having this same issue on TrueNAS CORE.

Where did you put the "allowedNetworks" config?
In my Preferences.xml, located under the "Plex Media Server" folder in the jail root, all I have is a single line (aside from the xml header) and adding prior to the line or changing the line just breaks things.

I've also tried to use Putty to create a DNS Tunnel but this just give an "connection reset" error when attempting to access the page at localhost.

So right now I'm stuck at the point where I have the server running and I've put files on to the storage pool but because I'm unable to "claim" the server and do the setup process, I'm unable to create the libraries and actually have a working server due to this issue.

DreNL

Cadet
You have to put the allowedNetworks after <Preferences.

You have to put the allowedNetworks after <Preferences.
Sorry to reply again, my configuration was <Preferences allowedNetworks="192.168.2.1/24" and then the rest of the file.

HITMAN

Dabbler
Use Claim plex when deploying the container. Be ready because you have 4 minutes to claim it.
plex.tv/claim

xlameee

Explorer
I'm not sure where to put that code. Could you provide a little more detail please?
Connect to your TrueNAS via WinSCP

Search for "Preferences.xml"

Find the line

Code:
allowedNetworks="10.165.5.0/255.255.255.0"

and change it to your subnet IP and Mask

If your plex IP is:

Code:
192.168.1.10/24

and your computer IP is:

Code:
10.5.5.15/24

Then change this line to:

Code:
allowedNetworks="10.5.5.0/255.255.255.0"

OR Just allow only your computer to connect to PLEX

allowedNetworks="10.5.5.15/255.255.255.0"

Last edited:

DreNL

Cadet
@xlameee, I have checked my Preferences.xml and there was no entry allowedNetworks. So if it isn't in there the entry must be added. I cannot post my Preferences.xml here anymore as I had more issues with Plex and am trying to get Emby up and running now.

HITMAN

Dabbler
@Noviets Hi you put that code when you are deploying the app, advanced options. At least on truenas scale.
Keep in mind that code is valid only 4 minutes.

scooby622

Cadet
@Noviets Hi you put that code when you are deploying the app, advanced options. At least on truenas scale.
Keep in mind that code is valid only 4 minutes.
where exactly in the options do you put this code?

HITMAN

Dabbler
Hello, "Plex Configuration" step 4.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-12-02 174018.png
    Screenshot 2021-12-02 174018.png
    40.6 KB · Views: 7,804

scooby622

Cadet

HITMAN

Dabbler
I guess it is only for Scale. Sorry
Log first time form same network / subnet i.e

DataBitz

Cadet
For anyone else struggling to locate the Preferences.xml
From the TrueNAS Scale shell run this
"find . -name Preferences.xml"
Mine was located in the "/mnt/yourpoolname/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Preferences.xml"

tadsy

Cadet
Did you access plex for the first time from same network?
Lets say plex is 10.10.10.200 .. first time you have to access it from 10.10.10._number_
I just made an account to say thank you HITMAN. Was really scratching my head with this one considering my managed accounts were all still up and running!

I knew it had something to do with the ACLs on my network. The extra code in the preferences file was the answer.

You're the man

abnexus

Dabbler
I’m having the issue. Ran smoothly for years until I got a notice to change my password on account of my password may have been compromised. Been giving me the “Not Authorized” notice since with no resolve.

Plex is running as a jail in TrueNAS and is running current versions.