Plex : Not authorized. You do not have access to this server

HootleTootle

Cadet
Plex is a dumpster fire, has been for years when it comes to this whole getting a server up and running. I've tried on unRAID various times, and it's the same on TrueNAS where the Plex server comes up but there's no way of "adopting" the server - it never runs the initial login stuff. I try it now and again, but it's still a problem, even when using the preauth keys. Only OS it seems to work properly on is Windows, and who wants to run anything on there?

I always end up back with Emby, even though it doesn't do the neat Skip Intro stuff that Plex does.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Plex is a dumpster fire, has been for years when it comes to this whole getting a server up and running. I've tried on unRAID various times, and it's the same on TrueNAS where the Plex server comes up but there's no way of "adopting" the server

Plex has some idiotic amateurs who have coded up the networking and security bits. Their entire use case expects you to be on a home network behind a NAT gateway ("router") and they apparently have no idea that other networking models, including direct access on live IP addresses, can exist.

I've found that the easiest thing to do is to bootstrap Plex servers by attaching them to a 192.168.1.1/24 network, and then placing a web browsing VM alongside it on that same network. This will reliably bootstrap and be adopted because it emulates the naive networking environment they code for.

HITMAN

Dabbler
I just made an account to say thank you HITMAN. Was really scratching my head with this one considering my managed accounts were all still up and running!

I knew it had something to do with the ACLs on my network. The extra code in the preferences file was the answer.

You're the man
You are very welcome m8, sry for my late reply.

blademan

Dabbler
I had the same error, even though I was on the same subnet. Adding allowed networks in Preferences.xml caused the container to hang during start. Removing the network line, Plex would start, but kept running into the "You don't have access error". This was accessed by clicking the web portal link from Plex app in Scale. Stripping off all the extra URL allowed login to Plex server on Scale.

Last edited:

Neuf16

Cadet
Did you access plex for the first time from same network?
Lets say plex is 10.10.10.200 .. first time you have to access it from 10.10.10._number_
I'm adding a reply to this since you seem to have a lot of insight into this issue.
I've just installed Plex for the first time on my TrueNAS server and have gotten the 'not authorized you do not have access to this server' error from the very beginning. I've spent a good many hours trying to get it resolved. It's extremely frustrating!
I've tried editing the Preferences.xml.. allowing every vpn I ever connect with etc.
I've reinstalled Plex multiple times on TrueNAS and it's the same error every time regardless

raynaud

Cadet
Connect to your TrueNAS via WinSCP

Search for "Preferences.xml"

Find the line

Code:
allowedNetworks="10.165.5.0/255.255.255.0"

and change it to your subnet IP and Mask

If your plex IP is:

Code:
192.168.1.10/24

and your computer IP is:

Code:
10.5.5.15/24

Then change this line to:

Code:
allowedNetworks="10.5.5.0/255.255.255.0"

OR Just allow only your computer to connect to PLEX

allowedNetworks="10.5.5.15/255.255.255.0"
Excelente but what are the credential for login with WinSCP? i have the same problem, but I can login for edit this file :(

elephas

Cadet
For the record, I had this issue after cloning my media folder and config folders from another server. I had to first set my personal SMB user permissions on the config file to edit Preferences.xml and added the allowedNetworks class to the xml doc. After that I went back to datasets and set the permissions back to apps for user and group for all child datasets etc and that was enough to get Plex to stop saying I'm not authorized.