Planning ZFS Storage Configuration

superadmin29

Cadet
Hey y'all. I'm re-deploying my main storage server (giving VMware the boot and running TrueNAS on bare metal) and wanted to make sure I get my disk configuration right before transferring all my data back. This will be my main storage server, containing mostly media but also for use with storing ISOs, files, and app data (Bitwarden, Vault, LDAP, Sonarr, Radarr, etc).

Context:
  • The main storage server will be used only for storage (no app, jails, VMs, etc will be running) with a 10 core (20 thread) Xeon and 70GB of RAM.
  • This storage server has (12) 3.5" drive bays and a connected SAS disk shelf with (24) 2.5" bays, both of which are approximately half filled and will continue to grow as storage needs demand.
  • I have a separate backup host (4x3.5") that can store significantly less data, but will be used for backups of some core media and pertinent files. Thus data resiliency on the primary storage host is preferred but not absolutely critical.
  • All storage and compute hosts are connected by 10Gbe, and I have a 1Gpbs upstream.
  • NFS will be used for connecting shares to necessary compute hosts. I looked into it and I think that iSCSI would be overkill (feel free to prove me wrong).
  • Plex media usage can assume about 4 concurrent streams max, potentially growing slightly in the future. A Nvidia Tesla P4 is powering transcodes.
Given the above, I want to design the main storage pool to be performant as possible for my use case. I have done some researching, and I think I understand a good amount of the factors at play here, but all the specifics about storage, how it works, and how ZFS interacts with it can be a lot. I would appreciate getting some sanity checks on this before I implement it and realize I screwed up.

Here is a list of the current storage devices I have on hand:
  • (7) 3.5" WD Red Plus 10TB 7200RPM CMR (to be expanded as needed to 12)
  • (4) 2.5" SanDisk Lightning Ascend Gen II 1.6TB SAS SSD (Specs)
  • (7) 2.5" HGST Ultrastar 400GB SAS SSD (Specs)
  • (1) Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD
Proposed pool structure:
  • (3) Mirrored 10TB Storage VDevs
  • (1) 10TB Hot Spare VDev
  • (1) Mirrored 1.6TB Metadata VDev
  • (1) Mirrored 400GB Dedup VDev
  • (1) Mirrored 500GB Log VDev (would purchase adapter, and another drive)
  • Remaining SAS SSDs would be thrown in a different storage pool
My logic behind striped mirrors is that since my array will be mostly read heavy, it offers a performance gain with still some redundancy. I'm not to worried about the space inefficiency. Also having a hot spare to help remediate drive issues quickly. The metadata video will offload the metadata from my storage disks and have an SSD performance gain. Similarly, adding the SSD VDev for space efficiency reasons. My understanding is that since NFS is synchronous, the log VDev will be useful for caching write operations. I left out a cache VDev because I don't perceive any benefit. Since media will be a majority of disk I/O and media choices will be rather random, I don't think it would prove very useful, even for general file storage.

Please let me know what your thoughts are on this setup and if there are any changes I should consider. Appreciate your time.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
  • (1) 10TB Hot Spare VDev
A hot-spare is not a separate vdev, but belongs to the vdev it is supposed to "support" in case of failure.
  • (1) Mirrored 1.6TB Metadata VDev
Since this will be absolutely critical, I would go for a 3-way mirror.
  • (1) Mirrored 400GB Dedup VDev
IMHO there is no such thing as a dedup vdev. In addition, I would caution against the use of deduplication. It requires a lot(!) more RAM than what you have. From what I remember the consensus seems to be that 256 GB RAM is a starting point, but you may easily need more.
SLOG drives have very specific requirements and a Samsung Evo is certainly not suitable. Please check the resource linked in my signature "Recommended readings" for more details.

Davvo

MVP
About layouts and performance:

Your want the parity level of your metadata vdev to at least match the parity level of the pool but consider using L2ARC (cache vdev) instead, it is possibile to use it for metadata only and make it non volatile.

Why do you think you need dedup?

You want a high endurance SSD (possibily NVMe) as your SLOG device.

but belongs to the vdev it is supposed to "support" in case of failure
It belongs to the pool it is supposed to "support" in case of failure

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
It belongs to the pool it is supposed to "support" in case of failure
Actually can even be in many pools at the same time.

So back to the original point, maybe not really a VDEV, more of a "list of spares".

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
There's probably some confusion around it appearing at the same level in zpool status as all the other VDEV types, so being an exception to that pattern, it's a strange one, but certainly not a VDEV as it holds no pool data at all in its home position.

ZFS Virtual Devices (ZFS VDEVs)​

A VDEV is a meta-device that can represent one or more devices. ZFS supports 7 different types of VDEV:

• File - a pre-allocated file
  • Physical Drive (HDD, SDD, PCIe NVME, etc)
  • Mirror - a standard RAID1 mirror
  • ZFS software raidz1, raidz2, raidz3 'distributed' parity based RAID
  • Hot Spare - hot spare for ZFS software raid.
  • Cache - a device for level 2 adaptive read cache (ZFS L2ARC)
  • Log - ZFS Intent Log (ZFS ZIL)
VDEVS are dynamically striped by ZFS. A device can be added to a VDEV, but cannot be removed from it.

Davvo

MVP

ZFS Virtual Devices (ZFS VDEVs)​

A VDEV is a meta-device that can represent one or more devices. ZFS supports 7 different types of VDEV:

• File - a pre-allocated file
  • Physical Drive (HDD, SDD, PCIe NVME, etc)
  • Mirror - a standard RAID1 mirror
  • ZFS software raidz1, raidz2, raidz3 'distributed' parity based RAID
  • Hot Spare - hot spare for ZFS software raid.
  • Cache - a device for level 2 adaptive read cache (ZFS L2ARC)
  • Log - ZFS Intent Log (ZFS ZIL)
VDEVS are dynamically striped by ZFS. A device can be added to a VDEV, but cannot be removed from it.
Cache, log and hot spares can.

sretalla