Planning First Build Supermicro X9SRW-F Based Home NAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

icehawk1

Cadet
Processor: I am having trouble deciding, I would rather spend a few more dollars and have more headroom to play with so perhaps:
INTEL XEON E5-2680 8 CORE 2.70GHz 20MB CPU PROCESSOR SR0KH

Motherboard: Supermicro X9SRW-F Motherboard LGA2011 Intel C602 DDR3

Chassis: TBD

Memory: 24 - 32 GB ECC DDR3, specifics TBD/what is available used

Storage: 4 x WD Red 4TB NAS Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM Class SATA 6 GB/S 64 MB Cache 3.5-Inch - WD40EFRX

Or 4x WL 4TB 7200RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive

Power Supply: EVGA 450 BT, 80+ Bronze 450W, 3 Year Warranty, Power Supply 100-BT-0450-K1

Current goals are to hold media for home use, possibly plex, reliable file storage for large amounts of RAW photos for the girlfriend, and storage for audio recording (would like to record multiple WAV tracks from Reaper, direct to FreeNAS). I would also like to be able to experiment with linux VMs and possibly use this as a camera server someday as well. It seems like a mirrored vdev would give me 8tb and be the way to go?

I am definitely new to FreeNAS and very excited to learn. My main question (unless I am way out of line on something else, than that becomes my main question) is if I will regret getting an older x9 Supermicro board to save money. The X9SRW-F that I am interested in has 8 x DIMM slots which would be nice for future expansion.

I have read through the basic hardware guides and do not think I am missing anything that would make me regret the x9 vs a newer x10, thank you for any help!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I would say no to that system board because it doesn't have enough expansion slots.
Instead, you should take a look at this, even though it is a little more expensive.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SuperMicro-X9SRL-F-Motherboard/163070216187

For the CPU, you should go to this V2 processor as it is more efficient and only about $5 more:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SR1A8-Inte...8-Core-CM8063501375101-Processor/192524131095

icehawk1

Cadet
Thank you very much for the reply!

I am sure that you are correct on the better system board, however if I stick at 4-6 drives, will I suffer from only have 2 PCIE 3 x 16 slots? I could add a 10 gig NIC and a HBA on the Supermicro X9SRW-F Motherboard LGA2011 Intel C602 DDR3 board, right?

V2 Proc seems like the way to go for sure.
Thank you again!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Thank you very much for the reply!

I am sure that you are correct on the better system board, however if I stick at 4-6 drives, will I suffer from only have 2 PCIE 3 x 16 slots? I could add a 10 gig NIC and a HBA on the Supermicro X9SRW-F Motherboard LGA2011 Intel C602 DDR3 board, right?

V2 Proc seems like the way to go for sure.
Thank you again!
If you add an HBA, you can have as many drives as you like. You still have a board that won't fit in a standard chassis. If you want to buy a rack chassis that it will fit in or build your own box, go for it, but I would prefer to have a standard ATX board that will fit in a standard chassis and you need a riser card to use the slots, You can only directly plug a single card into that board because of the placement of the slots on the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.