Permissions, access, and windows file explorer issues with weird webgui problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grey_Paladin

Cadet
Hi, I'm new here and I really need some help. I have a FreeNAS device that has been running for nearly 2/3 of a year now. Just a basic 1 volume NAS setup as a windows share with no plugins or really anything else running (keeping it simple since I haven't had the time or motivation to get really into FreeNAS for a while). It was working fine until my router was replaced (I used the provided modem/router from Bell as it has a longer range than the last $200 wifi router I bought...somehow). Since then my NAS became invisible on my network and I discovered that it's ip changed--though I thought I configured it for a static ip. I reconfigured to a static ip but it still remained invisible. I would half to type in the ip in file explorer to open it. I fiddled around and found I could still get my pc to map the drive (though still invisible on my network) for all of two hours. It stopped working and started saying I did not have permission to access it. Just before that I changed my password to a longer and safer one and updated that in network passwords on my pc. I changed it all back on my pc and on my NAS, and I still get the same error message. I'm just kinda lost here now, since I'm not sure what to do. Not to mention now the webGUI does not load completely 80% of the time I open it now and I'm not sure why.

I just want to set this up so I can access my NAS from my windows pcs, and my android phone (provided I can get an app for that), all to access the same share where I store my media and some extra files. Is there a way I can fix my permissions issue, as well as get my NAS visible on my network again? And, if I need to, is there a way i can completely reset my network configuration and permissions/passwords on my NAS? I'm going to undo all I did on my PC, just in case. If it is more likely a problem on the windows side of things, would changing the smb/CIFS sharing support options affect this? I have a second PC I can use to test, just it's not available right now.

Thanks whoever reads and replies to this. I look forward to your help.

Grey_Paladin

Cadet
Update; I turned off all the smb/CIFS sharing support options, as well as changed to ipv4 default gateway my router's ip (I don't think this setting has any real effect since different variations of that ip work...I typo-ed a few times by accident.) and now my NAS is still invisible, but I can access it and login by typing the ip into the file manager; no permission issues, password saved properly to network passwords, I can access my data again. Now, I just need to get it visible, and make sure when I set it as a mapped drive nothing weird with permissions happens again. Also the webGUI is still broken most of the time.
So, how to I get my NAS visible on my network? And maybe a few network config tips to make sure i didn't screw something up deeper in the system would help. Thanks again to whomever can help.

Grey_Paladin

Cadet
I still cannot get my NAS visible on my Network. I don't suppose you (DL) or anyone else might know how to do a complete network settings reset? Or the steps necessary to map my share to the network? Or how to do a complete reset while maintaining my share's data? I'm starting to think either a clean start with settings, or a complete clean start will be easier than trying to find and fix the issues I'm having.

Redcoat

MVP
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.