Windows 10, File History setup won't accept FreeNAS windows share

Status
Not open for further replies.

esamett

Patron
I run a "simple" home network with Workgroup "Samett", no passwords and it periodically "blows up" - see my posting history. (The recent Network Discovery problem just went away somehow after a few weeks.) I have 2 Windows 10 computers running and one has no problem with using a FreeNAS share for its file history. Share is set up to accept but not require Guest access. My other computer is currently giving me an error message saying that "we can't add your network location file history." Googling says I need to open up the permissions on the share. Security properties lists "special permissions" only. I get an error when I try to change these settings. I did a Windows "refresh" keeping data but removing apps which took over an hour. No improvement. I get the same error message.

As far as I can tell I have the two computers set up similarly but only one connects to the nas for file history. i have no problem finding the network from file explorer.

sign me; perplexed.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Don't they need separate folders on the server? That might be it.

esamett

Patron
Sherlock Holmes: Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever is left, however improbable, must be the case

My backup folder did not have its own VDEV/Dataset and was therefore running on Unix permissions. I set up a new backup folder as a windows folder and all seems fine. I guess that either FreeNAS or Windows 10 tightened up its rules in the recent past. The setup used to work and I never noticed my error.

Thanks all.

Status
Not open for further replies.