Help, cannot find freenas on windows explorer after resetting my PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi.

I know nothing about networking and very little about freenas. I have been having hardware issues lately and got a new surface pro. After setting it up I went to network in explorer and was prompted to turn on network sharing and discovery and did that. My freenas appeared as a location. I was using it for a few days no problems. I had an issue with my surface so I needed to reset it to factory default. Now when I go to network I do not see my freenas. I have turned on file discover and nothing. I can access it through an internet browser though.

How can I solve this, my life is on that NAS...lol. Please help.

WINDOWS 10 Version 1803 (installed today)
New Surface Pro (2017 model)
Asus AC68U router

melloa

Wizard
I can access it through an internet browser though.

So what you can't access? Your samba shares? Try to type on your search box on the bottom left on your screen: \\<IP_FOR_YOUR_FREENAS> and see if you can see it that way. If it does work, map your shares in your windows box. MS is kind of unfriendly to anything they don make.

I get this error when I do that

Attachments

• Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    6.3 KB · Views: 274

melloa

Wizard
I get this error when I do that

Either you are using a different user or you have a policy preventing you to open the share. You got to love MS ... Let see if there is a MS expert around here that can help.

In the mean time, check the user you have logged in your windows box. Some people uses their MS accounts and the NAS has a local user ... i.e. grasshopper@hotmail.com insteal of grasshopper :)

Redcoat

MVP
See if this helps:

In your search box type gpedit.msc Select Administrative Templates, Network, Lanman Workstation, double click on Enable Insecure Guest Logons, select the Enable radio button on the screen that opens, hit OK and close the Local Group Policy Editor.

See if this helps:

In your search box type gpedit.msc Select Administrative Templates, Network, Lanman Workstation, double click on Enable Insecure Guest Logons, select the Enable radio button on the screen that opens, hit OK and close the Local Group Policy Editor.

I did that before I started my query here. No luck!!!

Redcoat

MVP
I can access it through an internet browser though.

What do you mean with this statement? Do you see the GUI? If so, what do you see in the "Sharing" "Windows (SMB)" tab display?

Redcoat

MVP
What do you mean with this statement? Do you see the GUI? If so, what do you see in the "Sharing" "Windows (SMB)" tab display?

Hmm, I thought I saw an answer to this, but it seems to have disappeared?

Redcoat

MVP
Very strange - I can see on my phone that there was an answer that you can see the shares you can't access but the screenshot to which it refers isn't there.

I have used the guide by @m0nkey_ found in the Resources section https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/freenas-and-samba-smb-permissions-video.8/ to set up Windows shares easily and successfully.

But as the suggested setting of the permissions is from Windows, you need access to the shares - and I suppose that one way to get that would be to reset the permissions on the shares to the default.

Absent any other advice from folks here on the forum I would follow the advice of @anodos found at https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/how-to-edit-cifs-permissions-from-the-cli.40594/ on "winacl", or try the reset method from his post #4 in this thread https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...taset-and-share-to-default.62581/#post-446549.

I have not faced your particular situation nor do I know if there are better routes to a solution, so I wish you good luck in getting it fixed.

I appreciate everyone’s help. I finally was able to map the smb shares as drives. I honestly do not know what changed in settings over the course of the day, but it eventually took. The strange thing is before things went bizarre, when I opened windows explorer I used to see my nas in the network pane. I would double click it and see and access my smb shares that way. Then it disappeared. I could access my nas through web browser but could not any other way.

Thanks again.

Redcoat

MVP
The strange thing is before things went bizarre, when I opened windows explorer I used to see my nas in the network pane. I would double click it and see and access my smb shares that way. Then it disappeared.
I'm glad you are "back in business". The "disappearing NAS" in W10 File Explorer is the result of security-related changes in W10 - see https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4034314/smbv1-is-not-installed-by-default-in-windows and https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...smbv2-and-smbv3-in-windows-and-windows-server for some background.

Status
Not open for further replies.