owncloud plugin now available in Plugins menu!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The message
Setup WarningYour web server is not yet properly setup to allow files synchronization because the WebDAV interface seems to be broken. Please double check the installation guides.

This is according to spec. bug #3481 is now closed

I just did a change request asking for the possibility to add which hostname the SSL certificates should be generated for.
Description
In the current owncloud plugin the generated SSL certificate uses "owncloud" as default hostname when it is generated.
See bug #3481 Please make the hostname configurable via the plugin menu.
Several people has encounter this issue.

https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/3483#change-9893

It is possible to regenerate the certificate manually.
Going to try to find out how and will update you all if i figure it out.

Cheers

Got rid of the "Setup WarningYour web server is not yet properly setup to allow files synchronization because the WebDAV interface seems to be broken. Please double check the installation guides."

Below is how I did in jail / shell

jls
look for the JID of the " owncloud_1 "

jexec "JID" /bin/tcsh

You are now in the jails shell do the following

cd /tmp
mkdir keys
cd keys

openssl genrsa -des3 -out server.key 1024
openssl req -new -key server.key -out server.csr
Fill in the fields below, at common name you insert the hostname of your owncloud.

Country Name (2 letter code) [GB]:SE
State or Province Name (full name) [Berkshire]:Stockholm
Locality Name (eg, city) [Newbury]:Stockholm
Organization Name (eg, company) [My Company Ltd]:Acme Inc
Organizational Unit Name (eg, section) []:
Common Name (eg, your name or your server's hostname) []:myserver.mydomain.com
Email Address []:someone at nsa.org
Please enter the following 'extra' attributes
to be sent with your certificate request
A challenge password []:
An optional company name []:

cp server.key server.key.org
openssl rsa -in server.key.org -out server.key
openssl x509 -req -days 365 -in server.csr -signkey server.key -out server.crt

cp server.crt /usr/pbi/owncloud-amd64/etc/apache22/
cp server.key /usr/pbi/owncloud-amd64/etc/apache22/

restart the jail

Now you can use the your own hostname with https

mewhalen

Cadet
I installed the ownCloud plugin on FreeNAS-9.1.1-RELEASE-x64 (a752d35). All works well, but I want to set the listening port to 8079. Where is the config for this?

Thank you in advance!!

I installed the ownCloud plugin on FreeNAS-9.1.1-RELEASE-x64 (a752d35). All works well, but I want to set the listening port to 8079. Where is the config for this?

Thank you in advance!!

Do you have a firewall in front of the owncloud?
If you have it do a portforward of WAN port 8079 > 80 to the owncloud.

Dont know how to change the actually port in the owncloud config.

//Mathias

cyberjock

Inactive Account

Thank you in advance!!

Your question shouldn't be asked here.. We don't support the actual software itself. We just support the plugin installation. Once it's installed, if the program doesn't work right you should go to the software's support options.

carsten

Cadet
The Apache web server is the one being used for this. If you go into the owncloud_1 plugin jail ("jexec owncloud_1 sh") and ps, you'll see everything is running out of the PBI - /usr/pbi/owncloud-amd64/.../
/usr/pbi/owncloud-amd64/etc/apache22 obviously contains the httpd.conf. I haven't tried to make it support SSL myself, but if you're enough of an Apache master, it should be easy enough to do!

- Jordan

Hi. Jordan.
I need to use another port than port 80 for my Ownclud, so I tried to change Apache listening port in httpd.conf, but afterwords I cannot connect to Ownclud. I restarted in UI from freenas.
No connection eighter from outside or inside (I opened the apropiate port in Router)

Can you help me out on this.

Regards

Carsten

J

jkh

Hi. Jordan.
I need to use another port than port 80 for my Ownclud, so I tried to change Apache listening port in httpd.conf, but afterwords I cannot connect to Ownclud. I restarted in UI from freenas.
No connection eighter from outside or inside (I opened the apropiate port in Router)

Can you help me out on this.

Regards

Carsten

Sorry,

No idea how to make it use a different port. When you figure it out, perhaps you can post what you did to the forum for the benefit of others!

Thanks to William, we now have an owncloud plugin for FreeNAS - it works very well!

Once you've installed it from the Plugins menu, you can either mount the media you'd like to export using the Jails storage manager onto /media or you can simply let owncloud sequester all the "cloud storage" in its own jail under that directory, in which case all of your cloud files will simply live in the appropriate owncloud plugin subdirectory of the jail root.

Note that if you elect to mount something under /media, those files/directories must be writable as the "www" user running in the jail. For this reason, you might wish to simply let owncloud manage the storage directly and import things into it explicitly. It will manage the permissions appropriately in that case.

To create your owncloud login and set it up, just click on the owncloud plugin icon once it's installed and turned on and follow the link!

Enjoy!

Hi jkh,

I'm a noob when it comes to Linux and its variants, but have been tinkering with FreeNAS and its plug-ins particularly plex and owncloud over the festive season. I can unequivocally say, I've enjoyed the experience and I'm converted! I've been following this discussion thread closely and thought I'd weigh in with my experiences and interpretation of some of what I've read.

I didn't quite understand what you meant by 'letting owncloud sequester all the "cloud storage" in its own jail under that directory'. I've interpreted this as letting the owncloud jail mount unto itself as
/mnt/Local/jails/owncloud_1/media -> /media, but I'm not sure this is correct? It seems to work, but what's the dataset? Is it the jail itself??

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Nice name Mr. Butt.

Are you the "Butt" of all jokes? Or maybe you are "The Butt" of all jokes? ZING!

Welcome to the forums!

And William has already fixed this and updated the plugin! ownCloud now supports HTTPS. Easiest way right now to update plugin (since plugin in-place updating doesn't work yet - that's another bug, and almost fixed) is to simply delete the old one and add it again.

Really? I'm still unable to tick the 'Enforce HTTPS' option in the current owncloud version 5.0.12.
As you've indicated in-place updating is not working. So, if I've got a few owncloud users set up, how do I ensure I don't lose data and configuration when I replace the plugin?

Nice name Mr. Butt.

Are you the "Butt" of all jokes? Or maybe you are "The Butt" of all jokes? ZING!

Welcome to the forums!

Thanks cyberjock! You pop up everywhere. You clearly sit at the right hand of God.

And thanks for the guides and references :)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Really? I'm still unable to tick the 'Enforce HTTPS' option in the current owncloud version 5.0.12.
As you've indicated in-place updating is not working. So, if I've got a few owncloud users set up, how do I ensure I don't lose data and configuration when I replace the plugin?

I'm using Owncloud 5.0.11 and it works just fine for me.

As for updating, FreeNAS 9.2.0 allows for updating plugins. There have been some, shall we say "problems", with the current upgrade system with some plugins. I haven't seen any complaints specifically for Owncloud, but I'd recommend you do a test in a VM and backup your data before doing the actual upgrade. I'm just waiting patiently for Owncloud 6 to come out. The ticket is in the system. @William-Grzybowski is just being a slacker. ;)

I do plan to upgrade to FreeNAS 9.2.0 around mid-January, followed by an upgrade of Owncloud from 5.0.11 to 5.0.12(if 6 isn't out yet).

I'm using Owncloud 5.0.11 and it works just fine for me.

As for updating, FreeNAS 9.2.0 allows for updating plugins. There have been some, shall we say "problems", with the current upgrade system with some plugins. I haven't seen any complaints specifically for Owncloud, but I'd recommend you do a test in a VM and backup your data before doing the actual upgrade. I'm just waiting patiently for Owncloud 6 to come out. The ticket is in the system. @William-Grzybowski is just being a slacker. ;)

I do plan to upgrade to FreeNAS 9.2.0 around mid-January, followed by an upgrade of Owncloud from 5.0.11 to 5.0.12(if 6 isn't out yet).

Interesting... I'm running FreeNAS 9.2.0 with owncloud 5.0.12. I realise after having a look at the owncloud admin panel, that I need to connect via https in order to tick the checkbox. When I try to do so, I get an SSL connection error so I believe I need to set up an SSL certificate. That might explain the flurry of discussion in this thread about certificates.

As for the events leading up to my reinstalling owncloud, I wanted to replace the plex plugin I had installed with the current version. From my experiences and after confirmation in the plex discussion thread, I realised that in-place updates aren't working for plex. So I uninstalled the plex plugin and installed the current version. When I did so, the owncloud plugin stopped working and couldn't be restarted. The easiest course of action for me at that stage, given my limited knowledge, was to delete and reinstall the owncloud plugin. I could then restart the plugin, but I had lost all user config and data. Hence I'm keen to know where the owncloud config and data live so I can back that up in future, or if the data resides in the jail itself, do I just backup and restore the jail?

Sorry,

No idea how to make it use a different port. When you figure it out, perhaps you can post what you did to the forum for the benefit of others!

For other noobs like myself who might experience the following, I found that if I set the default HTTP port 80 in my router to port forward to the owncloud jail ip at port 80, I got a 'connection reset' when I tried to access my owncloud instance from the internet. The way I got around this was to access owncloud via an unused incoming port (I used 83). In other words, I mapped port 83 in the router to the owncloud jail ip at port 80. It works a treat now and all I needed to do was configure owncloud desktop and android clients to also access my owncloud instance via port 83. This was easy enough to do.

Clearly something else was competing with owncloud if I used the default incoming port 80. However, due to my inexperience, I wasn't able to work out what it was.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
So my as-yet unreleased Owncloud plugin guide for dummies has this step for setting up https:

Next I'm going to force https. To do this you simply change your browser webpage address from http to https. Next I click on my username in the upper right corner and choose "admin" from the dropdown. Then scroll down to Security and check the box "Enforce HTTPS". This prevents http connections. Now we have some security when transferring files. You will need to cycle the plugin off and then back on for this setting to be enforced. So go ahead and cycle the plugin of and then back on.

That's all I had to do. /shrug

J

jkh

I didn't quite understand what you meant by 'letting owncloud sequester all the "cloud storage" in its own jail under that directory'. I've interpreted this as letting the owncloud jail mount unto itself as
/mnt/Local/jails/owncloud_1/media -> /media, but I'm not sure this is correct? It seems to work, but what's the dataset? Is it the jail itself??

What I meant was that each plugin gets its own jail by default, which lives in whatever pool the "jail root" is set to. You could let owncloud simply use its defaults and write into that jail rather than explicitly mounting (through the jail storage interface) some other location "into" the jail for it to us. That's all. Simply a matter of tasted, unless of course you have some explicit reason for also wanting the cloud storage in its own private dataset or something, in which case you wouldn't want to use the defaults as I suggested.

What I meant was that each plugin gets its own jail by default, which lives in whatever pool the "jail root" is set to. You could let owncloud simply use its defaults and write into that jail rather than explicitly mounting (through the jail storage interface) some other location "into" the jail for it to us. That's all. Simply a matter of tasted, unless of course you have some explicit reason for also wanting the cloud storage in its own private dataset or something, in which case you wouldn't want to use the defaults as I suggested.

Ahh.. The penny drops and makes perfect sense. Thanks for your reply jkh.

So my as-yet unreleased Owncloud plugin guide for dummies has this step for setting up https:

That's all I had to do. /shrug

Hi cyberjock. This is the message Google Chrome gives me when I switch from http to https. SSL certificate required maybe?

screenshot.3.jpg

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Hmm.. I'm wondering if Chrome doesn't like the self signed cert...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I just installed Chrome on my laptop and when I go to my owncloud page it says:

The site's security certificate is not trusted!
You attempted to reach 192.168.2.121, but the server presented a certificate issued by an entity that is not trusted by your computer's operating system. This may mean that the server has generated its own security credentials, which Chrome cannot rely on for identity information, or an attacker may be trying to intercept your communications.
You should not proceed, especially if you have never seen this warning before for this site.

Not sure if you've changed your browser settings to reject self-signed certs?????

Status
Not open for further replies.