owncloud plugin now available in Plugins menu!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I think sticking with sqlite is a good idea. mysql adds, as you noted, a lot more overhead for essentially no gain in the case of owncloud (unless there's some snazzy feature it enables that I missed).
OK, Ill finalize something soon.

MySQL doesn't add anything in this case. It just makes things run smoother in certain cases. This is most noticeably when uploading large amounts of small files, especially through the desktop sync client, where there is a high SQL overhead.

Hi everyone,
I'm pretty close to completing an update (v8.0.0) of the owncloud plugin. I had a few questions that others may have an opinion on.

Optional Dependencies
Should I include smbclient/ffmpeg/libreoffice? These give additional functionality but make the PBI larger. Including libreoffice doubles the plugin's size from 97MB to 188MB and in my testing with a local plugin repo made updates from OC7 fail with the error "Unable to make a PBI patch"
I'm leaning towards not including these and just telling users to 'pkg install libreoffice' if they want to edit .DOC(X) files.

sqlite vs. mysql
Should the plugin include mysql instead of sqlite?
http://doc.owncloud.org/server/8.0/...mance_tips.html#using-mysql-instead-of-sqlite
This depends on what audience we are targeting. Out of the box MySQL is taking 458MB of RAM.

I would say go for both suggestion. The change on 100MB to a 188MB is minimal.. If you add those dependencies then it will give lesser headache and lesser question on "Why cant i edit DOC files etc..."

At least my sqlite based Owncloud frontend for my freenas is very very sluggish. I suspect that the sqlite is the bottleneck..

//Mathias

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
well, if a owncloud admin did want to edit doc(x) files they would hopefully read the owncloud docs which say to install libreoffice.

I tested without packaging libreoffice and this is all an OC admin would need to do..
+ pkg upgrade
+ pkg libreoffice
* install the documents app
* enable libreoffice in the admin settings menu

so basically two additional commands. I'm fine with either way, anyone else have an opinion?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I say exclude it but throw some short doc in the root of the jail (if possible) with the basic instructions for installing libreoffice if they care. ;)

SmallGuy

Guru
Other pro I see installing libreoffice manually is the ability of the language selection of the package.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Version 8 of the ownCloud plugin is now available.

Changes
  • updated ownCloud 7.0.2 > 8.0.0
    • add pre-install script that saves your old config (updates of the FreeNAS plugin worked in my local testing)
    • set 'www' as owner of the source files so ownCloud's Updater App should work
  • updated the icon
  • setup a cronjob for ownCloud
  • updated Apache 2.2 > 2.4
    • optimized for ZFS
  • included all related php-extensions
    • features - intl / ftp / sftp
    • performance - opcache / APCu / sendfile / mcrypt
Notes
  • optional dependencies not included can be installed using pkg
    • Code:
      pkg upgrade && pkg install samba-libsmbclient ffmpeg libreoffice
  • X-Sendfile is enabled by default; if you use any 'local external mounts' in ownCloud, you must set a corresponding XSendFilePath for them in /usr/pbi/owncloud-amd64/etc/apache24/Includes/owncloud.conf

Last edited:

Neek

Dabbler
Has anyone tried to update from 7.x to 8.0 on FreeNAS? I tried installing it, and it seemed to know nothing about nor ask about my previous install of 7.0.2.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Has anyone tried to update from 7.x to 8.0 on FreeNAS? I tried installing it, and it seemed to know nothing about nor ask about my previous install of 7.0.2.
I tested updating from 7.0.2 to 8.0.0 wuth the PBI that's posted and users/settings were saved for me.
Did it ask you to set a new administrative user? (This means it doesn't have a complete config/config.php and needs to be setup again)

Do you happen to have a backup of your old /usr/pbi/owncloud-amd64/www/owncloud/config/config.php

Neek

Dabbler
Yes, prompted for new admin user. I also noticed the jail didn't have any storage attached, whereas on my original one I had a mountpoint for the mysql database, and one for the file storage. I do still have all of my owncloud 7 install files, as it's still installed alongside version 8. However, on my system, that config file is located at /mnt/vol1/jails/owncloud/usr/local/www/owncloud/config/config.php.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Yes, prompted for new admin user. I also noticed the jail didn't have any storage attached, whereas on my original one I had a mountpoint for the mysql database, and one for the file storage. I do still have all of my owncloud 7 install files, as it's still installed alongside version 8. However, on my system, that config file is located at /mnt/vol1/jails/owncloud/usr/local/www/owncloud/config/config.php.
You were using mysql with the plugin? How did you add the mysql php extension?
I always talk from the jail's perpective. Files in /usr/local/www/owncloud are linked to /usr/pbi/owncloud-amd64/www/owncloud where the files actually exist.

When I setup the OC8 plugin I geared it completely towards sqlite so you may just want to install owncloud in a jail using one of the guides in the How-To > Jails section.

But, if you want to continue the way you have things using the plugin with mysql, I think this is what you would need to do..
  • install mysql php extension again
  • remount your mysql database and files storage
  • start up mysql
  • edit /usr/pbi/owncloud-amd64/www/owncloud/config/config.php to point to your database and files storage location

Neek

Dabbler
Thanks a lot. I followed one of the howto's to setup OwnCloud with MySQL. I have previously used it with SQLite and performance became pretty disappointing pretty quickly.

Though FreeNAS supports OC8, I'm going to stick with 7.x for now. I checked owncloud.com and they still only talk about oc7. Many plugins also appear to be unsupported on 8, for now.

Again, I do really appreciate your help though!

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Thanks a lot. I followed one of the howto's to setup OwnCloud with MySQL. I have previously used it with SQLite and performance became pretty disappointing pretty quickly.

Though FreeNAS supports OC8, I'm going to stick with 7.x for now. I checked owncloud.com and they still only talk about oc7. Many plugins also appear to be unsupported on 8, for now.

Again, I do really appreciate your help though!
Welcome.
I've also stayed on OC7 for my production instance for the time being. OC8 has alot of bugs when upgrading as seen here, https://forum.owncloud.org/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=26310. I feel this release was rushed out compared to OC7 which I remember being much more polished and ready.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Personally, I feel like every OC release has been rushed with major security holes and bugs since 5.x. The only reason I say 5.x is because that's when I first used OC. It's actually quite disappointing.

They seem more hellbent on features and performance than anything else. In this day and age, there's far more to a software package than just performance and features. Something that has lots of security holes quickly becomes a product nobody trusts.

entyrion

Explorer
Previews in the Documents app do not seem to be working... any thoughts on how to fix this?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Previews in the Documents app do not seem to be working... any thoughts on how to fix this?
There are 2 bugs that are causing this.
  1. I didn't include needed paths in the owncloud plugin
    • I'll have this fixed in 8.0.3 update of the owncloud plugin for freenas
    • If you want to fix it yourself, you can create /usr/pbi/owncloud-amd64/etc/apache24/envvars.d/path.env with the below content, then restart the owncloud plugin
      • Code:
        export PATH=${owncloud_pbi_path}/bin:/usr/local/bin:$PATH
        export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
  2. There is a bug with owncloud's documents app. The linked fix worked in my testing. I approved it so we need one more owncloud committer to get it merged.
Also, I assume you did the following steps
  1. Code:
    pkg upgrade && pkg install libreoffice
  2. install owncloud's "Documents" app
  3. enable MS Word support in owncloud's admin menu (optional)
  4. enable previews for chosen file types

entyrion

Explorer
Just upgraded to the 8.1 plugin, thanks for posting it so promptly! However, I'm getting cURL error 60 when trying to install apps (all of which I'd been using with no issue in 8.0.3) and my desktop client won't connect despite using the right login information, throwing error "error downloading xyz/remote.php/webdav/ - server replied: Forbidden." I had this issue after upgrading the plugin, and also after a fresh reinstall of the plugin. Any thoughts that might help?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Just upgraded to the 8.1 plugin, thanks for posting it so promptly! However, I'm getting cURL error 60 when trying to install apps (all of which I'd been using with no issue in 8.0.3) and my desktop client won't connect despite using the right login information, throwing error "error downloading xyz/remote.php/webdav/ - server replied: Forbidden." I had this issue after upgrading the plugin, and also after a fresh reinstall of the plugin. Any thoughts that might help?
I noticed certain apps I can enable and others I can't. I wonder if it's related to the app being hosted at an HTTP vs HTTPS URL.
I'm guessing the issue comes down to PHP not having a certificate store to check, or being compiled against an older version of SSL that can't connect the HTTPS URL.

As for the remote.php/webdav error, you might want to check with the owncloud forums. Are you on the latest version of the desktop sync client?

Last edited:

entyrion

Explorer
Hi Josh, yes, after my upgrade I could install 1-2 apps, but after the fresh install, I'm stuck with only the defaults. As for the desktop client, I'm installing from the Debian stable repo, so I'm sure it's a bit out of date (7.0.4), but it was working just fine with 8.0.3 prior to upgrade :(

This guy seems to be having the same issue and posted just today.... https://forum.owncloud.org/viewtopic.php?t=29117&p=90875

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Hi Josh, yes, after my upgrade I could install 1-2 apps, but after the fresh install, I'm stuck with only the defaults. As for the desktop client, I'm installing from the Debian stable repo, so I'm sure it's a bit out of date (7.0.4), but it was working just fine with 8.0.3 prior to upgrade :(

This guy seems to be having the same issue and posted just today.... https://forum.owncloud.org/viewtopic.php?t=29117&p=90875
Here's a bug report on the curl > https://github.com/owncloud/core/issues/17446
If you can figure out where curl is expecting a certificate store to exist that might solve this issue.

v7.0.4 sounds like an owncloud server version, not client version. Mine (on arch) is v1.8.3. A guess is that webdav path is depreciated and older clients are no longer supported, but I'd ask around on the owncloud forum. I can try confirming your issue this weekend.

Last edited:

entyrion

Explorer
I noticed the bug report and will keep an eye out to see what comes of it. You're right; the debian stable package for owncloud-client is 1.7.0, though it would be frustrating if that is the source of the issue....

Status
Not open for further replies.