owncloud plugin now available in Plugins menu!

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jkh

Thanks to William, we now have an owncloud plugin for FreeNAS - it works very well!

Once you've installed it from the Plugins menu, you can either mount the media you'd like to export using the Jails storage manager onto /media or you can simply let owncloud sequester all the "cloud storage" in its own jail under that directory, in which case all of your cloud files will simply live in the appropriate owncloud plugin subdirectory of the jail root.

Note that if you elect to mount something under /media, those files/directories must be writable as the "www" user running in the jail. For this reason, you might wish to simply let owncloud manage the storage directly and import things into it explicitly. It will manage the permissions appropriately in that case.

To create your owncloud login and set it up, just click on the owncloud plugin icon once it's installed and turned on and follow the link!

Enjoy!

ppmax

Contributor
Hi jkh--

just installed the new plugin--so easy ;)

I was poking around the jail--what webserver is being used? I tried php -i and it doesnt appear that php is installed or it's not in the path var. Are there any notes about this plugin that might answer some of these questions? I'm also wondering about SSL support--where is the webserver conf file?

thanks again to you and William!

PP

J

jkh

I was poking around the jail--what webserver is being used? I tried php -i and it doesnt appear that php is installed or it's not in the path var. Are there any notes about this plugin that might answer some of these questions? I'm also wondering about SSL support--where is the webserver conf file?

The Apache web server is the one being used for this. If you go into the owncloud_1 plugin jail ("jexec owncloud_1 sh") and ps, you'll see everything is running out of the PBI - /usr/pbi/owncloud-amd64/.../
/usr/pbi/owncloud-amd64/etc/apache22 obviously contains the httpd.conf. I haven't tried to make it support SSL myself, but if you're enough of an Apache master, it should be easy enough to do!

- Jordan

ppmax

Contributor
Thanks for the pointers Jordan! I'm all set now...I'll try to get this thing running through SSL this weekend.

Regarding:
>>Note that if you elect to mount something under /media, those files/directories must be writable as the "www" user running in the jail.

Does a mounted dir need to be writable if you don't want to change anything in the mounted directory? Will try this soon and report back...

thanks again--nice work!

PP

chasef

Cadet
When I click the link provided by the plugin to access OwnCloud, my browser can't find anything. Any ideas?

J

jkh

And you mean the browser is 404, or what exactly? That's weird. Can't reproduce anything like that at all!

chasef

Cadet
Networking issues give me massive headaches. But it looks like disabling VIMAGE for the OwnCloud jail fixed it.

nvader

Explorer
I was able to install this, configure it and test it (using es file explorer on my android phone) and it did seem to work just fine.
But i'm using a VPN client on my phone and can already access all of my stuff.
But please keep the plugin's coming. I love being able to install such great stuff as plex and sickbeard from the plugin's menu. we are only missing an update feature and of course more plugins!

Jeff Carson

Dabbler
I'm a complete noob here and seem to be having trouble understanding several things. I want to mount my FreeNAS storage with the Owncloud plugin that I just installed. I want to be able to access these file from Owncloud offsite or locally with my home network outside of Owncloud. Is this even possible? If so can someone walk me though how to mount the storage outside of Owncloud?

kolokoi

Cadet
Does anyone know how to force the plugin to use HTTPS? I tried to tick the 'Enforce HTTPS' option under Security in the Admin Menu, but it's greyed out. It says to connect using HTTPS to enable it, but I'm unable to.

J

jkh

Does anyone know how to force the plugin to use HTTPS? I tried to tick the 'Enforce HTTPS' option under Security in the Admin Menu, but it's greyed out. It says to connect using HTTPS to enable it, but I'm unable to.

I think that as currently created, the ownCloud plugin doesn't support HTTPS. That's clearly an oversight. I've filed: https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/3179

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
I'm a complete noob here and seem to be having trouble understanding several things. I want to mount my FreeNAS storage with the Owncloud plugin that I just installed. I want to be able to access these file from Owncloud offsite or locally with my home network outside of Owncloud. Is this even possible? If so can someone walk me though how to mount the storage outside of Owncloud?

You just need to add a storage (jails -> owncloud_1 -> storage -> add storage) from /mnt/tank/whatever to /media/your_user/files/

However the www user or group needs permissions to access it.

Jeff Carson

Dabbler
You just need to add a storage (jails -> owncloud_1 -> storage -> add storage) from /mnt/tank/whatever to /media/your_user/files/

I've added the storage as laid out above where the first one is /mnt/Myservername/media and the second entry at the bottom points to the /media/my_user/files/ in the jail. I'm guessing the reason I can't see the files is because I've not changed the permissions for the www user. With all that said I should use shell or putty to change the permission for the /mnt/Myservername/media to allow the www group access? Sounds simple enough in theory but I'm sure I'll find a way to mess it up, I wish there were a way to change permissions in FreeNAS by directory thru the GUI. Thank you for the assistance and I'll attempt to change permissions when I get home.

Jeff Carson

Dabbler

Well I tried to chgrp www /mnt/MyServer/Files/ and didn't have any luck. I think I may be in over my head here. It seems like I lose permissions in the file manager if I gain them in Owncloud. I've not been able to get the mount points for Plex or miniDLNA either so I'm pretty sure I a class on this stuff. o_O

J

jkh

With all that said I should use shell or putty to change the permission for the /mnt/Myservername/media to allow the www group access? Sounds simple enough in theory but I'm sure I'll find a way to mess it up, I wish there were a way to change permissions in FreeNAS by directory thru the GUI. Thank you for the assistance and I'll attempt to change permissions when I get home.

You can, at least if you follow some simple rules! Here's what I did:

1. Create a new dataset just for ownCloud (so it's visible both "inside" and "outside" the jail)
2. Change permissions for the dataset such that it's owned by www (all doable via the UI!)
3. Mount that dataset to the ownCloud's jail under /media (note that you can also change this location in ownCloud's own initial setup screen under "Advanced").

Done!

J

jkh

I think that as currently created, the ownCloud plugin doesn't support HTTPS. That's clearly an oversight. I've filed: https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/3179

And William has already fixed this and updated the plugin! ownCloud now supports HTTPS. Easiest way right now to update plugin (since plugin in-place updating doesn't work yet - that's another bug, and almost fixed) is to simply delete the old one and add it again.

kolokoi

Cadet
And William has already fixed this and updated the plugin! ownCloud now supports HTTPS. Easiest way right now to update plugin (since plugin in-place updating doesn't work yet - that's another bug, and almost fixed) is to simply delete the old one and add it again.

Wow, that was quick! Thanks Jordan and William! :)

martinronn

Cadet
Hi, the certificate is missing a value in the common name field. This courses the sync client on Windows to fail as the client requires this. It is fairly easy to replace the certificate your self, however I thought I would let you know

Status
Not open for further replies.