Optimizing power consumption: TrueNAS Scale Server

somethingweird

Contributor
keep 2x 100W lightbulb - turned off forever to offset the power consumption of the NAS?

cainam

Dabbler
Hi
I have a HomeNAS build of a Jonsbo N2 and a N100 CPU. I have 2 SSD and 1 2.5HDD in it. My consumation is about 20Watt. How can i lower that (the 2.5HDD i have spin down as i dont need this allways on). Thanks for any ideas

Regards Rapha

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality

cainam

Dabbler
no... never checkd... as the 2.5 HDD is just for jellyfin and has no sensitive datas...

NugentS

MVP
Reducing power below 20 Watts - I would suspect you are well into the law of diminishing returns
My N100 system pulls 100W

ChrisRJ

Wizard
but i talking of idle consumation...
Yes. 20 W idle is really low. I am not aware of any scenario to go below that without seriously risking your data.

cainam

Dabbler
But if I check some of the synologys they have in standby (which it is 90% of the time) abou 5-7kw

cainam

Dabbler
Yes ;-) watts not kw… but why I can’t get lower and close to synology?!

danb35

Hall of Famer
Because TrueNAS doesn't run on a cheap ARM processor. Its power and flexibility have a cost, and that cost is expressed in RAM and CPU cycles--and that means power.

Because TrueNAS doesn't run on a cheap ARM processor. Its power and flexibility have a cost, and that cost is expressed in RAM and CPU cycles--and that means power.
@cainam : Really, it's the above. The added security of TrueNAS creates a lot of overhead resulting in high resources usage and is the expected cost of that security. Industrial robustness has an associated up-front cost which is paid to mitigate the hidden cost of data corruption/loss. It's basically "cheap insurance," the associated question is, "how valuable is your data?"

cainam

Dabbler
Thanks for explanation .
My data’s are not super ultra important, just private doks… but don’t want to lose it . For that I have a backup on the cloude
Other software maybe better for my purpose?

ChrisRJ

Wizard
What is your use-case?

Just a central place to have my datas to access from all computers and mobile
Synology. I run those where the situation calls for it.

TrueNAS is sometimes "a bit much," or even "way too much." However I've also installed it on a tiny system for limited users and it works great.

sfatula

Guru
I often have a different way of looking at things. I actually saved power by moving to Truenas Scale. (Or, you could say I was using too much power before I guess). I threw out my i9900 desktop/"NAS" with fancy GPU and such, and replaced it with a custom made Scale machine that idles in the 70's (watts). For the desktop, to go along with previous poster who mentioned Pis but possibly in jest, I am using a Pi 5. So, the additional couple watts for the "desktop" + Scale compared to the old desktop, bug savings.

Yes, a desktop with Pi5. I do VSC for coding, DBeaver, Libreoffice, browsers, thunderbird, discord, audacity, makemkv, picard, mkvtoolnix, bdsup2sub++. subtitle edit, tsmuxer, vlc, remmina, nextcloud sync, keepassxc, digikam, krita, moneydance, back in time, qownnotes, various ffmpeg, and more on it's quite fast now. I build my Scale containers there too using docker, arm to x86_64 is no issue.

So, I could say Scale saved me power. But really, just a wiser use of power and not doing the coder / computer guy thing of buying way too much machine.