TrueNAS Scale - Test setup: ask for recommendations

DigitalMinimalist

Contributor
Dear TrueNAS experts,

My TrueNAS Scale Server (TrueNAS-SCALE-Bluefin) is up and running and I'm exploring my final setup. I would appreciate any comments and recommendations.

Hardware:
Asrock Rack X470D4U + Ryzen 2700X + Noctua NH-U9DX i4 + 4x16GB ECC DDR4 Samsung 2666Mhz + Intel X710-DA2 NIC

Boot Pool: Crucial P2 NVME SSD 250GB for OS
VM Pool: 2x Micron 7300 Pro 960GB NVME SSD (PLP, 1.9PB TBW) - mirrored for usage for VMs, Apps, ISO Storage
Storage Pool: 4x HDD CMR striped mirror with 2x mirrored NVME for special vDev
  • Movies (->Jellyfin)
  • Music (-> tbd.)
  • Pictures (backup from Workstation)
  • Books (->Kavita)
  • Downloads (Download folder for all network PCs)
  • Nextcloud Data
  • Backups (iPhone backups, Lightroom, etc.)
  • Documents (backup from OneDrive)

Software / Services:
Advanced settings Apps:
Node IP = 0.0.0.0
Route v4 Interface = enp1xxx
Route v4 Gateway = 192.168.x.x

simple use cases:
NAS via SMB to Windows PCs incl. backups -> works nicely

I have 2 available OneDrive accounts as part of MS365 Family account. Is it possible to backup from TrueNAS to Ondrive (2x 1TB)?

foreseen Apps:
Heimdall Dashboard -> works nicely
Kavita-Truecharts (Book Library) -> app works, but I'm not able to get access to the book folder of TNS (host & NFS tried)
Jellyfin-Truecharts (Movies) -> app works, but I'm not able to get access to the movies folder of TNS (host & NFS tried)
Nextcloud-Truecharts -> app works, but I need to figure out how to access NC from outside the network
Omada Controller-Truecharts -> app works, but I'm not able to see and add any devices... I'm also not able to upgrade within the container

Pi-Hole-Truecharts -> app works and it seems to work as second Pihole (main Pihole running on Proxmox Thin Client)
Cloudflared-Truecharts -> VPN Tunnel -> app works and it seems to work for truenas, but not Nextcloud due to "trusted domain"

I have read so many tutorials, but I'm not able to figure out the sharing issues.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

artlessknave

Wizard
I count six NVME SSD but, at most, 5 nvme capable interfaces? 2x m.2
3 PCIe slots

2x mirrored NVME for special vDev
which special vdev? they are most definitely not equal.

Is it possible to backup from TrueNAS to Ondrive
should be. core, at least, has all the usual cloudy suspects

you list a case/chassis, power supply.

I don't currently use scale, but that hardware should certainly run it fine

Boot Pool: Crucial P2 NVME SSD 250GB for OS
way overkill. I only count 4 SATA ports in use. why not use cheaper 2.5" SSDs for boot and have more speedy SSD's for tasks that will benefit from them?

DigitalMinimalist

Contributor
I use an ASUS Hyper M.2 with 4x 1TB NVME in the PCIe 16x slot (bifurcated to 4x4x4x4)

The 250GB for OS was a leftover …

Hardware is fine - I‘m struggling with the Software Setup

DigitalMinimalist

Contributor
Update:

I have 2 available OneDrive accounts as part of MS365 Family account. Is it possible to backup from TrueNAS to Ondrive (2x 1TB)?
yes, I created and tested the functionality for onedrive, google drive and dropbox -> works nicely now

Even though it's recommended to leave everything as PVC storage, it seems that creating separate folders for each app in the VM pool is giving me more options in regards to access and restore capability

Kavita-Truecharts (Book Library) -> app works, but I'm not able to get access to the book folder of TNS (host & NFS tried)
issue solved: Kavita has some requirements in regards to folder structure
Jellyfin-Truecharts (Movies) -> app works, but I'm not able to get access to the movies folder of TNS (host & NFS tried)
issue solved for movies: user "apps" added to data dataset
issue still existing for music, even though the files are in the same folder than movies...

Nextcloud-Truecharts -> app works, but I need to figure out how to access NC from outside the network
cloudflared is running, but NC tells me "no trusted domain"

Omada Controller-Truecharts -> app works, but I'm not able to see and add any devices... I'm also not able to upgrade within the container

also created a gmail account for the server for alerts and probably use the 15GB for backups of truenas system