OpenVPN + PIA + Transmission Installation Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigmike97

Cadet
What I've Tried
So I hate opening a post about this topic as there are plenty of guides out there to how one can get the Transmission jail to tunnel through OpenVPN/PIA, however, I have tried countless of them with no success. I had used these guides before to successfully set up a jail with a VPN earlier this year but had to do a fresh install of FreeNAS. Some of the guides and scripts I have tried include:
My Issue
The issue I have had with almost everything I have tried is that it seems to connect to the VPN that is set up in the jail but not actually connect to the internet. So when I have the OpenVPN services off I am able to ping, get my IP, and use transmission as usual (what would be expected when the service is off). However when I turn OpenVPN on it I cannot grab my IP in terminal or ping anything, but when I use the IP checker from TorGuard I see the IP of the VPN but cannot actually download any torrents. I'm not sure if this is because the guides I am using are out of date, but I am using the same version of FreeNAS that I used before and got the set up to work.

This is what it looks like after getting my IP, starting the OpenVPN service, then trying to get the new IP:

Code:
root@transmission_1:/usr/local/etc/openvpn # wget http://ipinfo.io/ip -qO -

XX.XXX.XXX.XX

root@transmission_1:/usr/local/etc/openvpn # service openvpn start

Starting openvpn.

root@transmission_1:/usr/local/etc/openvpn # wget http://ipinfo.io/ip -qO -

root@transmission_1:/usr/local/etc/openvpn #

And here is the log files for OpenVPN

Code:
Tue May 22 18:12:21 2018 library versions: OpenSSL 1.0.2j-freebsd  26 Sep 2016, LZO 2.10

Tue May 22 18:12:22 2018 RESOLVE: Cannot resolve host address: nl.privateinternetaccess.com:1198 (hostname nor servname provided, or not known)

Tue May 22 18:12:24 2018 RESOLVE: Cannot resolve host address: nl.privateinternetaccess.com:1198 (hostname nor servname provided, or not known)

Tue May 22 18:12:24 2018 Could not determine IPv4/IPv6 protocol

Tue May 22 18:12:24 2018 SIGUSR1[soft,init_instance] received, process restarting

Other Information

openvpn.conf:
Code:
client

dev tun

proto udp

remote nl.privateinternetaccess.com 1198

resolv-retry infinite

nobind

persist-key

persist-tun

cipher aes-128-cbc

auth sha1

tls-client

remote-cert-tls server

auth-user-pass /usr/local/etc/openvpn/pass.txt

comp-lzo

verb 1

reneg-sec

crl-verify /usr/local/etc/openvpn/crl.rsa.2048.pem

ca /usr/local/etc/openvpn/ca.rsa.2048.crt

disable-occ

/etc/rc.conf:
Code:
portmap_enable="NO"

sshd_enable="NO"

sendmail_enable="NO"

sendmail_submit_enable="NO"

sendmail_outbound_enable="NO"

sendmail_msp_queue_enable="NO"

hostname="transmission_1"

devfs_enable="YES"

devfs_system_ruleset="devfsrules_common"

inet6_enable="YES"

ip6addrctl_enable="YES"

transmission_conf_dir="/var/db/transmission"

transmission_download_dir=""

transmission_enable="YES"

openvpn_enable="YES"

openvpn_configfile="/usr/local/etc/openvpn/openvpn.conf"

Thanks in advance, I would guess it's a networking issue, but being a beginner with FreeNAS I'm not sure how to approach fixing this.

Last edited:

m0nkey_

MVP
Tue May 22 18:12:24 2018 RESOLVE: Cannot resolve host address: nl.privateinternetaccess.com:1198 (hostname nor servname provided, or not known)
There's your problem. Your jail cannot resolve any DNS names. Check your /etc/resolv.conf inside the jail.

bigmike97

Cadet
Check your /etc/resolv.conf inside the jail.

Code:
# Generated by resolvconf

search local hsd1.il.comcast.net

nameserver 75.75.75.75

nameserver 75.75.76.76

This is what the resolv.conf file has within it.

Edit: I changed the resolv.conf and I can now ping google.com and get the new IP routed through the VPN. I changed the resolv.conf to this:
Code:
# Generated by resolvconf

search local hsd1.il.comcast.net

nameserver 8.8.8.8   

nameserver 75.75.76.76

Is this correct or should I be changing it to something else?

Edit 2: This seemed to break the Transmission plugin and won't start now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.