openssl command causing strange shell behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

scurrier

Patron
I'm setting up OpenVPN on my tester FreeNAS box. I am at a stage where I need to create a pkcs12 certificate for use on my android phone. So I used the command line
Code:
 openssl pkcs12 -export -in sdcnexus5.crt -inkey sdcnexus5.key -certfile ca.crt

It seems to work normally and asks me to type in my password to protect the file until importing it. But after I type the password twice, it goes all crazy and gives me a bunch of garbage output. See the picture below (deleted 1/26/2014).

A similar thing happened when I was initially using ssh via putty.

Any ideas on what this might be? openssl is a built in FreeNAS command.

scurrier

Patron
I changed to a different password and it worked. Strange.

Neil Whitworth

Dabbler
I'm setting up OpenVPN on my tester FreeNAS box. I am at a stage where I need to create a pkcs12 certificate for use on my android phone. So I used the command line
Code:
 openssl pkcs12 -export -in sdcnexus5.crt -inkey sdcnexus5.key -certfile ca.crt

It seems to work normally and asks me to type in my password to protect the file until importing it. But after I type the password twice, it goes all crazy and gives me a bunch of garbage output. See the picture below.

Don't you need a -out <somefile>, otherwise it just dumps your p12 to stdout

http://www.openssl.org/docs/apps/pkcs12.html

scurrier

Patron
Bingo. Thank you sir. That explains why it worked when I tried typing the command again later. Just to be sure, I tested this theory and the results were as expected.

Today I learned that if you get garbage output on your screen, it's because you forgot to specify a proper output.

If I keep up this pace, I will soon run out of ways to embarrass myself publicly.

Status
Not open for further replies.