HOW-TO: Set up NGINX to reverse proxy your jails w/ Certbot

jbrown705

Explorer
The whole point of the NGINX reverse proxy is that external traffic coming into your router (from a WAN IP address or domains that are directed to that through A records) can be redirected to various internal services.

Typically, you'd open ports 80 (http) and 443 (https) on your router so any external requests on these ports are forwarded to your NGINX reverse proxy jail IP address. You then configure the reverse proxy (through the nginx.conf file, or various .conf files) to direct to other internal services IP addresses based on the server_name in the request.

So would the first step to doing this be to remove all devices that use that port first?
The install this, the redo them?

If so, is there a way to see all of these in a single place? I’m not sure my terminal command showed that all?

Itay1778

Patron
So would the first step to doing this be to remove all devices that use that port first?

If so, is there a way to see all of these in a single place? I’m not sure my terminal command showed that all?
How many services or things do you need to access outside of your network?

adrianwi

Guru

I think you need to give some thought as to what you are trying to achieve with this before doing too much else. I don't think it matters what 'devices' are using what ports inside your network (they should all be using unique IP addresses) but it does matter what services you wanted to expose externally and how are they going to be accessed?

I have about 10 services available outside my network, and they all come in through port 80/443 to my NGINX reverse proxy which then redirects to the internal service (running in a mix of jails, Docker containers and VMs)

I have two domains (one work, one personal) and use subdomains configured to redirect to my external WAN IP. So http://service.domain.co.uk is redirected to my router, which forwards the request on port 80 to the NGINX reverse proxy jail. I then have various service.conf files in /usr/local/etc/nginx/sites-enabled which redirect any http request to https, validate the SSL certificate and then redirect to the appropriate jail, container or VM service. These are using various ports (including 80 and 443, or others) but have unique IP addresses, so can be easily redirected too with some NGINX proxy settings.

Maybe this picture from my blog helps?

Slide1.png

hippy1970

Cadet
If you don't want to use a reverse proxy you could always use the router to forward external WAN port 80 to internal computer A port 80 but also forward external WAN port 81 to internal computer B port 80.

Then access them with http://www.yourdomain.com and http://www.yourdomain.com:81

It's not pretty but it will work and if it's only used by yourself it's no big deal to add the port number.

Just saying.... [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

jbrown705

Explorer
I think you need to give some thought as to what you are trying to achieve with this before doing too much else. I don't think it matters what 'devices' are using what ports inside your network (they should all be using unique IP addresses) but it does matter what services you wanted to expose externally and how are they going to be accessed?

I have about 10 services available outside my network, and they all come in through port 80/443 to my NGINX reverse proxy which then redirects to the internal service (running in a mix of jails, Docker containers and VMs)

I have two domains (one work, one personal) and use subdomains configured to redirect to my external WAN IP. So http://service.domain.co.uk is redirected to my router, which forwards the request on port 80 to the NGINX reverse proxy jail. I then have various service.conf files in /usr/local/etc/nginx/sites-enabled which redirect any http request to https, validate the SSL certificate and then redirect to the appropriate jail, container or VM service. These are using various ports (including 80 and 443, or others) but have unique IP addresses, so can be easily redirected too with some NGINX proxy settings.

Maybe this picture from my blog helps?

Slide1.png

Ok, that makes sense. It laymen’s terms is almost like a router for external traffic to be pointed to services that are only accessible on your local network. Yes?

What I am trying to achieve is setting up Ombi for Plex requests. That was all I was really trying to do.

Other things that I would want to get to that aren’t related to freenas or jails are my ip cameras, and I’m not sure if it applies here but things like using my vpn, teamviewer, and things like that.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
This chatter really should be in it's own thread, this is a tutorial thread.

Maybe @Ericloewe can split it off?

jbrown705

Explorer
This chatter really should be in it's own thread, this is a tutorial thread.

Maybe @Ericloewe can split it off?

Isn’t that what we’re doing? Not trying to be rude, but I’m trying follow this tutorial and it’s not working for me. Wouldn’t this prove useful for those that are still learning as well? I’m trying to understand what needs to be fixed to get the certificate. This guide assumes that everyone knows and understands how to make sure no device on their entire network uses port 443 and 80 and I would bet most new users still have trouble with this like I am.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Isn’t that what we’re doing?
Not really. And no worries your not being rude. It's just that in reading your posts you don't seem have an understanding what a reverse proxy is and how it works. The posters are trying to help you learn but that would be best done in it's own thread.

jbrown705

Explorer
Not really. And no worries your not being rude. It's just that in reading your posts you don't seem have an understanding what a reverse proxy is and how it works. The posters are trying to help you learn but that would be best done in it's own thread.

Just so i can do some more research, NGINX is not a stand alone reverse proxy, it is just web server? Are you able to point me toward a resource to use that you think does a good job of teaching about from past experiences? I saw something about nginx plus when i tried to google a bit, but I have only been using FreeNAS about 6 weeks now and this is my first server, so this all new to me. I don't live in the IT world for work, so i am relying on the forums and people generous with their time to help me learn.

Thanks!

jbrown705

Explorer
You must fill in the internal ports where necessary to let you enter through the domain or external IP that he knew where to refer you
And external ports the way you want (the one you have not used)

And you should use port forward only for things you need to access outside the internal network

Ok, so i got it up and working now. It turns out that there must be a bug in 11.2. When i created the jail using the UI it didn't seem to work and actually establish a connection to the router. When i created it using the command line, the certificate validated and completed.

Thanks all for the help! Hopefully some day I can pay it forward!

jbrown705

Explorer
Renew your certificate
  1. -OPTIONAL- I don't like using vi as an editor, therefore i'm going to switch to nano for crontab as well
    setenv VISUAL /usr/local/bin/nano
  2. crontab -e
  3. Code:
    30 1 * * 1 ./certbot/letsencrypt-auto renew --pre-hook "service nginx stop" --post-hook "service nginx start"

I was able to run this successfully, but does this also need to be triggered in the UI with a cronjob? I don't see it showing up in the UI. Does this just automatically run monday's at 1:30? Is there a way to verify it worked or get notifications of when it completes?

Thanks!
-Jason

ZodiacUHD

Patron
I was able to run this successfully, but does this also need to be triggered in the UI with a cronjob? I don't see it showing up in the UI. Does this just automatically run monday's at 1:30? Is there a way to verify it worked or get notifications of when it completes?

Thanks!
-Jason

It runs automatically, no worries. If it doesn't work, you'll get an email when your certs are about to expire (as long as you set it up when generating a cert).

adrianwi

Guru
I've got a small .sh script that I run from the UI Tasks menu which works quite well.

This is the script

Code:
#!/bin/sh																	  
today=$(date +%Y-%b-%d)														
echo $today >> /var/log/le-renew.log										  
certbot renew >> /var/log/le-renew.log										
service nginx reload >> /var/log/le-renew.log

Which is run using Task > Cron Jobs

Code:
iocage exec ssl-proxy sh /le-renew.sh

This creates a log file and sends me an e-mail to say it's run and what has updated, if anything.

Last edited:

ArgaWoW

Patron
Hi,

I can successfully connect to my nextcloud via the reverse proxy. Thanks a lot for this guide :)
In the settings from nextcloud i get the following messages:

• Der „X-XSS-Protection“-HTTP-Header ist nicht so konfiguriert, dass er „1; mode=block“ entspricht. Dies ist ein potentielles Sicherheitsrisiko und es wird empfohlen, diese Einstellung zu ändern.
  • Der „X-Content-Type-Options“-HTTP-Header ist nicht so konfiguriert, dass er „nosniff“ entspricht. Dies ist ein potentielles Sicherheitsrisiko und es wird empfohlen, diese Einstellung zu ändern.
  • Der „X-Robots-Tag“-HTTP-Header ist nicht so konfiguriert, dass er „none“ entspricht. Dies ist ein potentielles Sicherheitsrisiko und es wird empfohlen, diese Einstellung zu ändern.
  • Der „X-Frame-Options“-HTTP-Header ist nicht so konfiguriert, dass er „SAMEORIGIN“ entspricht. Dies ist ein potentielles Sicherheitsrisiko und es wird empfohlen, diese Einstellung zu ändern.
  • Der „X-Download-Options“-HTTP-Header ist nicht so konfiguriert, dass er „noopen“ entspricht. Dies ist ein potentielles Sicherheitsrisiko und es wird empfohlen, diese Einstellung zu ändern.
  • Der „X-Permitted-Cross-Domain-Policies“-HTTP-Header ist nicht so konfiguriert, dass er „none“ entspricht. Dies ist ein potentielles Sicherheitsrisiko und es wird empfohlen, diese Einstellung zu ändern.
this problem has only existed since I installed the reverse proxy!

Can anybody guide me to fix this issues, please.

Thanks a lot

Arga

Itay1778

Patron
Hi,

I can successfully connect to my nextcloud via the reverse proxy. Thanks a lot for this guide :)
In the settings from nextcloud i get the following messages:

• Der „X-XSS-Protection“-HTTP-Header ist nicht so konfiguriert, dass er „1; mode=block“ entspricht. Dies ist ein potentielles Sicherheitsrisiko und es wird empfohlen, diese Einstellung zu ändern.
  • Der „X-Content-Type-Options“-HTTP-Header ist nicht so konfiguriert, dass er „nosniff“ entspricht. Dies ist ein potentielles Sicherheitsrisiko und es wird empfohlen, diese Einstellung zu ändern.
  • Der „X-Robots-Tag“-HTTP-Header ist nicht so konfiguriert, dass er „none“ entspricht. Dies ist ein potentielles Sicherheitsrisiko und es wird empfohlen, diese Einstellung zu ändern.
  • Der „X-Frame-Options“-HTTP-Header ist nicht so konfiguriert, dass er „SAMEORIGIN“ entspricht. Dies ist ein potentielles Sicherheitsrisiko und es wird empfohlen, diese Einstellung zu ändern.
  • Der „X-Download-Options“-HTTP-Header ist nicht so konfiguriert, dass er „noopen“ entspricht. Dies ist ein potentielles Sicherheitsrisiko und es wird empfohlen, diese Einstellung zu ändern.
  • Der „X-Permitted-Cross-Domain-Policies“-HTTP-Header ist nicht so konfiguriert, dass er „none“ entspricht. Dies ist ein potentielles Sicherheitsrisiko und es wird empfohlen, diese Einstellung zu ändern.
this problem has only existed since I installed the reverse proxy!

Can anybody guide me to fix this issues, please.

Thanks a lot

Arga
I was able to solve these problems, just add a few more lines to Nextcloud's settings in reverse proxy I am currently not at home so when I will, I will edit the post and will add to you what you need to add

ArgaWoW

Patron
I was able to solve these problems, just add a few more lines to Nextcloud's settings in reverse proxy I am currently not at home so when I will, I will edit the post and will add to you what you need to add
That would be great, thanks a lot

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

Itay1778

Patron
That would be great, thanks a lot

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk
Hey
This is the lines that you must add in the reverse proxy, where NextCloud is, so that it will function properly

Code:
   proxy_set_header		Host $host;
	proxy_set_header		X-Real-IP $remote_addr;
	proxy_set_header		X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
	proxy_set_header		X-Forwarded-Proto $scheme;
	add_header Strict-Transport-Security "max-age=31536000; includeSubdomains; preload";
	client_max_body_size 16400M;  (You change the size you set in PHP / Additional settings in NextCloud)

I also recommend scanning at https://scan.nextcloud.com/ to check that all NextCloud security settings and settings are configured correctly

ArgaWoW

Patron
Hey
This is the lines that you must add in the reverse proxy, where NextCloud is, so that it will function properly

Code:
   proxy_set_header		Host $host;
	proxy_set_header		X-Real-IP $remote_addr;
	proxy_set_header		X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
	proxy_set_header		X-Forwarded-Proto $scheme;
	add_header Strict-Transport-Security "max-age=31536000; includeSubdomains; preload";
	client_max_body_size 16400M;  (You change the size you set in PHP / Additional settings in NextCloud)

I also recommend scanning at https://scan.nextcloud.com/ to check that all NextCloud security settings and settings are configured correctly
Thanks for you reply. I have added this lines, but i get still the same message….

Itay1778

Patron
Thanks for you reply. I have added this lines, but i get still the same message….
Do the restart to NGINX
And NextCloud's WebServer