Onedrive Personal CloudSync?

Stephan4711

Cadet
They also comment on desiring to keep up to date with future Python versions, which would only increase the likelihood that it will break again since no one upstream is maintaining the repo.
as you also can read in your link Gitlink imkiva made it compatible with python 3.11 and 3.12 which is the reason I ask for re adding this, @Imkiva is also taking part in here.

Bainnor

Dabbler
as you also can read in your link Gitlink imkiva made it compatible with python 3.11 and 3.12 which is the reason I ask for re adding this, @Imkiva is also taking part in here.
They replied to that contribution in the thread, with their reasoning, so I suspect the developers are aware. If the community is willing to fork this and maintain it, could it be transitioned into a community app? That would allow it to be added to Scale systems for users who need the feature without forcing IX to maintain someone else's abandoned repo.

Edit: Oops, forgot that this was suggested earlier in the thread, and that there's even a link to one at post 63. This is what I get for replying before the morning coffee. :/

Last edited:

Ascar

Cadet
I have been watching this thread hoping for a response from iXSystems...
As I suspected the fix that Kiva posted has been patched out.

And while there are number of alternatives proposed on this thread, none are as simple as using the GUI. There is a lot of talk about the importance of backups on this forum, and there is a dedicated Data Protection tab in the GUI.
- Backup files to another pool = use the GUI
- Backup files to Backblaze = use the GUI
- Backup files to OneDrive = rabbit hole of command line or running a VM or...

6TB of OneDrive storage is a cost effective offsite backup. But maybe not many TrueNas users are utilising it?

So I am now stuck on Scale 22. And can't update any Truecharts apps.
This is the great point for anyone who pays for Microsoft 365 Family. In my case out of 6TB of OneDrive allowance around 5TB is unused unless you use it as backup for your TrueNAS data!

stk

Dabbler
It was disappointing to upgrade and find OneDrive support missing.

To summarize the recommended workaround for others, here are the steps

1. Make a dataset for rclone, e.g., /mnt/main/appdata/rclone. Have it owned by admin.
2. Download the linux version of rclone from the rclone site using wget. This is a zip file.
3. Unzip it, move the rclone executable to the "rclone" directory and discard the reset.
4. cd /mnt/main/appdata/rclone
5. touch rclone.conf to make the file (this may not be needed)
6. rclone config --config rclone.config
7. Add rclone as a cron job in System Settings>Advanced. Do not check the two boxes for console and std error output. I use this:
/mnt/main/appdata/rclone/rclone sync --config /mnt/main/appdata/rclone/rclone.conf -v OneDrive: /mnt/main/backups/OneDrive >/mnt/main/appdata/rclone/rclone.log 2>&1

This way you are independent of OS updates which will not clobber you since you are using a private version of rclone and your own config file.

Run everything as admin for permissions. Use the --dry-run flag to test things.

JmarcSyd

Dabbler
It was disappointing to upgrade and find OneDrive support missing.

To summarize the recommended workaround for others, here are the steps

1. Make a dataset for rclone, e.g., /mnt/main/appdata/rclone. Have it owned by admin.
2. Download the linux version of rclone from the rclone site using wget. This is a zip file.
3. Unzip it, move the rclone executable to the "rclone" directory and discard the reset.
4. cd /mnt/main/appdata/rclone
5. touch rclone.conf to make the file (this may not be needed)
6. rclone config --config rclone.config
7. Add rclone as a cron job in System Settings>Advanced. Do not check the two boxes for console and std error output. I use this:
/mnt/main/appdata/rclone/rclone sync --config /mnt/main/appdata/rclone/rclone.conf -v OneDrive: /mnt/main/backups/OneDrive >/mnt/main/appdata/rclone/rclone.log 2>&1

This way you are independent of OS updates which will not clobber you since you are using a private version of rclone and your own config file.

Run everything as admin for permissions. Use the --dry-run flag to test things.
Thanks @stk it took a bit of trial and error but it works great! Now my daily backup to Onedrive works again ‍:cool: