No Console Setup screen after install

ScaleyNas

Dabbler
Hello all,

UPDATED/EDITED
I can access TrueNAS SCALE via WEB UI but there is still no CONSOLE SETUP options on the monitor connected directly to the NAS. As far as I can tell, SCALE is running fine. I've played around and tested a fake setup. Created pools, datasets, users, etc. For whatever reason, I don't have console access. As described below, machine boots up and then the monitor goes to sleep. If I check the console from within the WEB UI, there is nothing. Sure, things are fine now, but what happens when I need to access the console to fix a problem bc I can't connect via IP address?

Any help would be appreciated.

OLD POST -

TrueNAS SCALE newb here. Didn't expect to need help right off the starting line but here I am. I did some quick searches here and nothing similar appeared.
System details are in my signature. I used Rufus to create the USB install media. I boot into it, installation goes precisely as expected. I click OK to reboot/remove media, system attempts to boot into TN SCALE, a long 'Matrix-like' scroll of text occurs and then the screen goes dark and my monitor goes to sleep. I never get the Console Setup menu that displays at the end of the boot process.

I waited patiently for one hour just in case I was rushing things and then I hit reset switch. Very quickly a screen pops up with Grub version and in a blue dialog box there are 5 options -
TrueNAS Scale GNU/Linux 22.02-RC2
Advanced options for TN SCALE
TN Scale Initial-Install
Advanced options for TN SCALE Initial-Install
System setup

All end the same way with a dark screen.

I went into BIOS and disabled Bluetooth and WiFi features. USB is set to LEGACY mode. I cannot switch the system to CSM mode because of the Intel CPU/discrete graphics card requirement. I don't have one available. So secure mode is enabled and is set to OTHER OS/DEBIAN.
Samsung SSD connected directly to SATA port on motherboard, 4x6TB Seagates attached to LSI SAS 9207-8i card works fine with firmware and bios up to date and in IT mode. All components were stressed tested thoroughly before this and everything checks out fine.

What am I doing wrong?

UPDATE: RESOLVED????
I was expecting the console setup screen but it never appears as described in the documentation and various online videos. So, I tried logging in via web interface by going to the IP address my router gave it and there it is. The TrueNAS interface.

UPDATE 2:
I tried 2 different monitors, both connect via HDMI, because the motherboard only supports HDMI or DisplayPort. Didn't make a difference.

I'll mess around and make sure things are running properly but in the meantime....
Did I do something wrong? Is this OK or does something need to be fixed or corrected on my end?

Last edited:

ScaleyNas

Dabbler

asabado

Cadet
I've just installed Truenas on a 250gb harddrive on an old optiplex 755 and I get to select the option for Truenas and a lot of giberish comes up after, but then after seeing some green OK, it just goes black. Please help!