Video output stops during boot

kkr

Cadet
You're right, you can't and should not be doing that.

Using the command suggested above is the right thing to do, you just picked a version of it that has the wrong information.

Use this one:
midclt call system.advanced.update '{"kernel_extra_options": "nomodeset"}'
Unfortunately, this doesn't work either:

midclt call system.advanced.update '{"kernel_extra_options": "nomodeset"}'
[kernel_extra_options] Field was not expected
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 139, in call_method
result = await self.middleware._call(message['method'], serviceobj, methodobj, params, app=self)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1236,in _call
return await methodobj(*prepared_call.args)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/service.py", line 388, in update
rv = await self.middleware._call(
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1236,in _call
return await methodobj(*prepared_call.args)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 980, in nf
args, kwargs = clean_and_validate_args(args, kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 938, in clean_and_validate_args
value = attr.clean(args[args_index + i])
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 607, in clean
raise Error(key, 'Field was not expected')
middlewared.schema.Error: [kernel_extra_options] Field was not expected

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I'm using TrueNAS Core.
So this thread (and that setting) is not for you... This is a SCALE only setting.

jordank195

Cadet
I found a workaround for SCALE.
You were close with nomodeset, but I also needed to i915.modeset=0 (which is needed in addition to nomodeset for the intel integrated graphics)
I found this hint here: KMS: Disabling modesetting

Here's a summary of my changes:
  1. Initially I had to edit the grub entry from grub directly. From the grub menu, I highlighted my TrueNAS install and pressed 'e' to edit the grub config. Append " nomodeset i915.modeset = 0" (without quotes) to the 'linux' line. Press Ctrl-x to boot the modified entry. This should keep the video up all the way through the TrueNAS CLI.
  2. Open a linux shell and appended " nomodeset i915.modeset=0" without quotes to the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT variable in /etc/default/grub.d/truenas.cfg and save the file.
  3. Run update-grub to apply changes to truenas.cfg
  4. Reboot to verify that the changes persist.
BTW, I'm using the HDMI port on the motherboard.
Ran into the same problem and this worked for me. FWIW this only started after I added a chelsio s320e 10gb pci nic. I made sure in the bios that everything was set to use the igfx.

IMPORTANT

This remark in comment #13 is 100% accurate:
The workaround in #5 worked for me, but be aware it may cause issues with the i915 driver needed for transcoding:

I had left these kernel options in place since my remarks in July 2022 but it ultimately prevented my CPU with integrated graphics / iGPU from being enabled for passthrough for hardware acceleration for use with Jellyfin/PLEX/VMs...

I don't know if this original problem I experienced has been resolved with fixes since upgrading to SCALE v23 (Cobia) or what but I was actually able to reclaim my iGPU allocations (i915) and also successfully boot without issue. The fix for that was captured by the same contributor that gave the warning above. From system shell:
Code:
midclt call system.advanced.update '{"kernel_extra_options": ""}'

Reboot and wait a few min before attempting to edit your Apps to allocate your iGPU