Video output stops during boot

sgt_jamez

Explorer
I am trying to set up a new SCALE host box and I am having video output issues. The CPU is an Intel Core i3 10105, with the UHD 630 onboard graphics. Motherboard is an MSI B560i Gaming Edge with the latest BIOS installed. The monitor is connected to the mb’s HDMI port.
On boot, I can get into the BIOS, and I was able to install SCALE. After install and reboot, I get the initial wall of text boot messages, and then the screen blanks. The monitor reports no signal and goes to sleep. The machine has booted though, and the SCALE GUI is reachable by web browser on another machine.

It seems like there’s some change in graphics mode during boot up that either my systems is not configured for or is incompatible with.

In the BIOS, there’s an option for PEG or IGD. I have it set for IGD, but either option doesn’t change the result.
There’a also an option for VGA detect, but there's no change between AUTO and DISABLED. It's currently disabled.

Has anyone else run into this issue of video dropping out during the boot process?

sgt_jamez

Explorer
I am guessing that there's a driver change somewhere in the SCALE startup process. I tried changing /etc/default/grub.d/truenas.cfg to include nomodeset but it didn't work. Possibly because I don't know how to update-grub in this situation. Ultimately I guess it doesn't really matter as this is still accessible from the web GUI.

endeavor03

Cadet
I've got the same issue with the Intel Core i3-10100 and MSI B560M PRO motherboard.
Running a fresh install of SCALE 22.02.01 (kernel version 5.10.93)
lspci shows the integrated graphics controller using i915 kernel driver
Code:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation CometLake-S GT2 [UHD Graphics 630] (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
        DeviceName: Onboard - Video
        Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. [MSI] UHD Graphics 630
        Kernel driver in use: i915
        Kernel modules: i915

I'm thinking there is an issue with the 500-series motherboard chipset with the 10th-gen Comet Lake processor. See this thread: i915 driver can't work with CML-R CPU and RKL PCH
I looks like there are some patches available which should be part of the newer kernels (5.11 and up). I haven't compiled kernel patches for SCALE yet so I may just hold off until SCALE moves to the newer kernels and hope it's fixed.

endeavor03

Cadet
I found a workaround for SCALE.
You were close with nomodeset, but I also needed to i915.modeset=0 (which is needed in addition to nomodeset for the intel integrated graphics)
I found this hint here: KMS: Disabling modesetting

Here's a summary of my changes:
  1. Initially I had to edit the grub entry from grub directly. From the grub menu, I highlighted my TrueNAS install and pressed 'e' to edit the grub config. Append " nomodeset i915.modeset = 0" (without quotes) to the 'linux' line. Press Ctrl-x to boot the modified entry. This should keep the video up all the way through the TrueNAS CLI.
  2. Open a linux shell and appended " nomodeset i915.modeset=0" without quotes to the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT variable in /etc/default/grub.d/truenas.cfg and save the file.
  3. Run update-grub to apply changes to truenas.cfg
  4. Reboot to verify that the changes persist.
BTW, I'm using the HDMI port on the motherboard.

tby

Cadet
Thanks for figuring this out. I needed one more piece to make it permanent:

midclt call system.advanced.update '{"kernel_extra_options": "nomodeset i915.modeset = 0"}'

sayak

Cadet
You were close with nomodeset, but I also needed to i915.modeset=0 (which is needed in addition to nomodeset for the intel integrated graphics)
I found this hint here: KMS: Disabling modesetting

Here's a summary of my changes:
  1. Initially I had to edit the grub entry from grub directly. From the grub menu, I highlighted my TrueNAS install and pressed 'e' to edit the grub config. Append " nomodeset i915.modeset = 0" (without quotes) to the 'linux' line. Press Ctrl-x to boot the modified entry. This should keep the video up all the way through the TrueNAS CLI.
  2. Open a linux shell and appended " nomodeset i915.modeset=0" without quotes to the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT variable in /etc/default/grub.d/truenas.cfg and save the file.
  3. Run update-grub to apply changes to truenas.cfg
  4. Reboot to verify that the changes persist.
BTW, I'm using the HDMI port on the motherboard.
Thanks for posting the workaround. I was facing the same issue and this fixed it for me too!

Thank you so much for this post.

I have a new build (Intel Core i5-10400 + MSI MPG B560I GAMING EDGE) and this is my first rodeo with TrueNAS.

HDMI, DisplayPort, BIOS revisions -- nothing worked until I found these instructions.

I do understand that I could've found my device on the network and proceeded, but I was confused at the behavior and getting frustrated wondering if the install was successful.

Thanks again.

asabado

Cadet

midclt call system.advanced.update '{"kernel_extra_options": "nomodeset i915.modeset = 0"}'
Hi, may I know where did you add this please?

Chris666

Dabbler

It seems this is all you have to do to tweak your GRUB kernel parameters, doing this will make it happen. On the original topic, I only had to add nomodeset, I didn't need the i915 part. I have a i3-10105. Executing this at the command line worked. Footnote: the update-grub method was working until the latest update and then it quit. Using midclt works, so if it stopped working for you this is probably why.

Thanks!

sac_maros

Cadet
i had the same question. just copy and paste the whole string into the shell and press enter.
im very new to linux, how can i open shell? im very confused i got myself into GRUBs command line but i always get the same error "command nomodeset does not exist" or something like that

user12

Cadet
The workaround in #5 worked for me, but be aware it may cause issues with the i915 driver needed for transcoding:

user12

Cadet
im very new to linux, how can i open shell? im very confused i got myself into GRUBs command line but i always get the same error "command nomodeset does not exist" or something like that
In the gui go to System Settings > Shell or use ssh.

Kivu

Cadet
with a AMD Ryzen 5 2400G i too needed "nomodeset" in grub and truenas.cfg (comment #4) and had to run
Code:
execute midclt call system.advanced.update '{"kernel_extra_options": "nomodeset"}'
. Without the last one, it was overwritten after some restarts.

kkr

Cadet
I'm trying to run midclt call system.advanced.update '{"kernel_extra_options": "nomodeset i915.modeset = 0"}' but I get an error: [kernel_extra_options] field was not expected. Is there another way to set it?

sretalla