Issues with fresh install of 21.08-BETA.1

Ryan Haver

Dabbler
I just installed the new TrueNAS SCALE 21.08-BETA.1 to test things and I'm having some weird issues with it. Any help is appreciated.

Issues I'm having atm:
  1. The boot process halts at the Grub screen for over 5 minutes before it proceeds to boot. This happens with various boot media, all of which are SSDs and all of which are set up to be redundant.
  2. Per this link, any versions of SCALE should be showing an almost identical Console Setup Menu to that of CORE with the same/similar options. My Console Setup shows no options at all but does display the DHCP assigned IP addresses that I can use to access the Web Interface. Has the traditional Console Setup Menu been supplanted by the new CLI? If yes then I can't find the equivalents to the original 1-11 options that the Console Setup provided.
  3. There appears to be a phantom Network Interface that I can't remove or adjust settings on. I think this may be the IPMI. The IPMI on this motherboard is set in dedicated mode and is using a DHCP address. The Network Interface in question shows up in the Web Interface with the name enxXXXXXXXXXXXX and has a self-assigned IP address. The XXXXXXXXXXXX appears to be a Mac address...but it doesn't match the BMC mac address or any others.
  4. I have the two built-in 10Gbase-T interfaces connected now and they are using DHCP addresses, but the 4 x Chelsio 10Gb interfaces don't seem to be recognized by SCALE at all.
General System Specs
  • Motherboard: SuperMicro H12SSL-CT
  • BIOS Settings: Using BIOS defaults, which forces UEFI
  • Boot Media Tested: A few SATA SSDs and SATA-Dom SSDs
  • CPU: AMD EPYC 7402
  • RAM: 256 GB DDR4 3200 ECC

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
My Console Setup shows no options at all but does display the DHCP assigned IP addresses that I can use to access the Web Interface
Sounds like that's an already installed key, not the install ISO image.

The XXXXXXXXXXXX appears to be a Mac address...but it doesn't match the BMC mac address or any others.
Maybe it's the NIC from the server built previously on that stick (since it's a boot pool, not an install stick)

Dan Tudora

Patron
hello
maybe you try a "step by step"" install
1 - remove chelsio NIC and other add card that not need for install
2 - install with basic (VGA, keyboard, monitor)
3 - and after that ...... we will wait for your input ! :D

Ryan Haver

Dabbler
@sretalla The only hardware here that has any previous ties to TrueNAS is the SSDs and I've been installing with the format option across two different sets of SSDs. Does the format option in the installer not erase all contents of the target media? Should I be erasing the targeted boot media separately before attempting an install?

@Dan Tudora I'll test as you've recommended by removing all non-needed addon cards and complete a clean install again.

Ryan Haver

Dabbler
I've just completed a fresh install with a reformat of the target media. This was completed with no add-on cards or additional peripherals but resulted in the same issues. It appears I am permanently stuck in the new CLI with no Console Setup options. I'm going to test with SCALE 21.06-BETA.1 to see if the result is the same.

Ryan Haver

Dabbler
I can confirm I don't see the console setup issues with SCALE 21.06-BETA.1. I think the phantom NIC is just the IPMI specific NIC and SCALE isn't provisioned to know what to do with it yet. I'll test an upgrade from 21.06-BETA.1 to 21.08-BETA.1 and see if things break or remain working.

Ryan Haver

Dabbler
@sretalla After the upgrade from 21.06-BETA.1 to 21.08-BETA.1, the Setup Console options are gone and I'm once again stuck in the new CLI. This is either intended behavior in this new beta or a bug....I'm inclined to think this is a bug as this is rather strange to be expected behavior. I cannot exit the new CLI at all and therefore cannot set up any key settings from the Console.

@Dan Tudora Hanging at the Grub menu during boot looks to be related to one of my add-on cards or devices... I'll address that separately.

NugentS

MVP
My console on Scale looks like
1631945549947.png

Is that what you mean?

NugentS

MVP
Then that would be correct (or mine is also wrong)
:smile:
You can configure everything else from the GUI
Loads of commands available from that prompt too - just not obvious

Ryan Haver

Dabbler
Then that would be correct (or mine is also wrong)
:smile:
You can configure everything else from the GUI
Loads of commands available from that prompt too - just not obvious

Interesting….Perhaps this is how it will be going forward and documentation is just not up to date. I’ve searched for ways to do many of the first time setup configuration changes but these don’t seem to exist in the available CLI menus. I guess GUI it is for now.

sretalla