NIC problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trev

Cadet
Hi all very new to FreeNAS. I'm running FreeNAS 9.3 stable and having a hard time getting a new NIC to function properly. I have been running with onboard NIC but it died the other day. Have fitted a tp-link tg 3468 and disabled the onboard NIC, but can't get FreeNAS to find the new NIC. Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Is that NIC supported by BSD Unix? Did you look at the recommended hardware first? As a general rule, Intel is the most reliable.

Trev

Cadet
Have checked and it is supported by the re drivers. Just not sure how to get FreeNAS to find it.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Trev

Cadet
Looking at the supported devices on FreeBSD, it said that the re drivers support the tp-link tg 3468.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Looking at the supported devices on freebsd, it said that the re drivers support the tp-link tg 3468.
Then it should just work. If it doesn't, there must be a hardware fault in the system board. Drivers that are integrated into the OS are automatically loaded during boot.

Trev

Cadet
Is there a way to manually load it or it just loaded automatically?

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Looking at the supported devices on FreeBSD, it said that the re drivers support the tp-link tg 3468.
Which version of FreeBSD?

FreeNAS 9.3 is very old, and only supports devices that FreeBSD 9 supported.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
That's probably a Realtek controller. Hardly a good choice. Intel is pretty much the only good option in 1GbE.

Trev

Cadet
Which version of FreeBSD?

FreeNAS 9.3 is very old, and only supports devices that FreeBSD 9 supported.
If i upgrade to FreeNAS 11 can I take my data that was set up in FreeNAS 9.3?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Your data? Yes, of course.

pschatz100

Guru
When checking hardware compatibility for FreeBSD and FreeNAS, be certain you are looking at compatibility for the proper version of FreeBSD. Support for many new devices has been added in the most recent updates. As has been pointed out, you are running an old version of FreeNAS.

You should purchase an Intel NIC as EricLoewe suggested. If you decide to use the TP Link NIC and it doesn't work with FreeNAS 11, an Intel NIC certainly will.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.