SOLVED No Connection from FreeNAS 11 to network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snake3y3s

Explorer
I dont mind used at all, problem is finding one in this country...
will look around

emk2203

Guru
I am just going to repurpose a N40L as a backup unit. Running it with a jail, Transmission plugin and simultaneously watching movies is no problem at all.

Don't get scared. If you avoid things like plex and reencoding, it should be fine.

Also, networking with these servers always needed acouple of attempts for me after firmware upgrades before the NIC was working. But when it runs, it runs problem-free.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

Snake3y3s

Explorer
??
not too sure what your comment is about...

One of the strange things is that during boot and loading FreeNAS, in the loading log/information, the NIC is detected and shows "UP" status, but also shows no carrier, and the lights on the back of the NIC are on.
then it all of a sudden shows link down.

sometimes it stays as up, and the lights stay on and when I get to the menu and try and set the IP, it shows the message about the GUI can be gotten to on http://192.168.0.20 but then I also noticed that when I set the IP as soon as I hit enter the lights on the NIC went off.

So... if the device is being detected and showing a UP status... does this not mean it is detected? I.E. the drivers on it should be fine.
All I need to test basically is someone to compile the latest Realtek driver for FreeBSD 11 which should work for FreeNAS, if it doesn't work after I test it with the driver... I will go out and buy a Intel NIC somewhere, and test that.

Last edited by a moderator:

emk2203

Guru
??
not too sure what your comment is about...

One of the strange things is that during boot and loading freeNAS, in the loading log/information, the NIC is detected and shows "UP" status, but also shows no carrier, and the lights on the back of the NIC are on.
then it all of a sudden shows link down.

sometimes it stays as up, and the lights stay on and when i get to the menu and try and set the IP, it shows the message about the GUI can be gotten to on http://192.168.0.20 but then i also noticed that when i set the IP as soon as I hit enter the lights on the NIC went off.

So... if the device is being detected and showing a UP status... does this not mean it is detected? I.E. the drivers on it should be fine.
All i need to test basically is someone to compile the latest realtek driver for freeBSD 11 which should work for FreeNAS, if it doesnt work after i test it with the driver... i will go out and buy a Intel NIC somewhere, and test that
During boot, I have similar symptoms. A couple of runs through menu item 1 or restarts are needed until the server gets an IP via DHCP. After that, it's problem-free until the next firmware upgrade. I can live with that.

Snake3y3s

Explorer
thats rather interesting...
I will just try restart it a few times (using option 1)and point it to the DHCP server (which is the router on 192
Do I need to do or change anything in any of the other settings?

emk2203

Guru
It's a bit of hit-or-miss for me. I say 'no' to adapter reset and 'yes' to the followup questions to reconfigure, if memory serves me right.

With a properly set-up system you don't need to point anywhere, though. DHCP does everything.

Snake3y3s

Explorer
problem is i dont see the system at all on the network.
But i suppose you wouldnt really until the IP is set (manually or via DHCP)

emk2203

Guru
problem is i dont see the system at all on the network.
But i suppose you wouldnt really until the IP is set (manually or via DHCP)
Yes. Same here.

Snake3y3s

Explorer
So if i force the card to 10baseT, it comes online and status says active, as well as the lights on the card are on, but still no connection (cant ping in or out or connect to FreeNAS GUI)
so, i have given up... gona bite the bullet and get a intel NIC

Question is, will a Intel 82574L chipset NIC do fine or should I go for a Intel i210 chipset?

Last edited by a moderator:

wblock

Documentation Engineer
The 82574 is older but well supported. As far as I know, the i210 is supported also (as igb).

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yup, the I210 is in extremely widespread use.

Snake3y3s

Explorer
ok... So I bought a intel I210 NIC (at around $100) and im STILL not getting any networking...

Do i need to re-install with the new NIC installed?

It should pick it up and load the drivers.

Do the NIC setup via the console as was mentioned previously for the new NIC and see what happens.

Snake3y3s

Explorer
ok, so after a little playing around, have it running :D

Similar issue here. After updating to Freenas 11 latest version a few days ago via the GUI my web interface suddenly stopped working. Despite doing various tests, trying a different cable, deleting the interface at the startup menu and setting it up again, manually setting up an IP - I couldn't get the web interface to take an IP number via DCHP.

I made a fresh install of Freenas 11-U4 which resolved the problem. But after logging onto the web interface GUI, I added a new network interface and the problem reoccurred.

In the shell I can see my NIC as em0. But when I type dhclient em0 I just get "em0: no link" despite the fact my netcable is plugged in and socket lights up.

My motherboard is a Supermicro X9SCM so no Realtek issues at play here.

Grateful for any suggestions how to get my NIC up again.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Similar issue here. After updating to Freenas 11 latest version a few days ago via the GUI my web interface suddenly stopped working. Despite doing various tests, trying a different cable, deleting the interface at the startup menu and setting it up again, manually setting up an IP - I couldn't get the web interface to take an IP number via DCHP.

I made a fresh install of Freenas 11-U4 which resolved the problem. But after logging onto the web interface GUI, I added a new network interface and the problem reoccurred.

In the shell I can see my NIC as em0. But when I type dhclient em0 I just get "em0: no link" despite the fact my netcable is plugged in and socket lights up.

My motherboard is a Supermicro X9SCM so no Realtek issues at play here.

Grateful for any suggestions how to get my NIC up again.
Investigate defective cables, NICs and switch ports.

Investigate defective cables, NICs and switch ports.

Thanks for the suggestion - went over everything again - sockets and cables work with other equipment. So I'm fairly certain hardware is not the issue.

Besides, I again reinstalled 11.1 u-4 and the NIC picks up an IP address again straight away. Then once again after I log on to the GUI and add em0 as an interface, I lose connection and the problem reoccurs - at the startup menu no amount of deleting the interface, or manually configuring works. Just the "no link" message for em0.

It's possible this may be some kind of bug since this problem came up only after upgrading to version 11.1 u4

I'm going to re-install and leave the interface unconfigured on the GUI for now.

Any other suggestions welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.