TPLINK TG-3468

Suwarna

Dabbler
hello all,

so after have several network down on my onboard Intel NIC (watchdog time out), i browse online and bought TP-Link TG-3468 to try out without further research :( from some of the research, looks like freenas not support this realtek chipset NIC ? is it really no hope for this ?

anyway, during googling, i founded that actuall FreeBSD 12.1 already support this NIC, just thinking that FreeNAS also based on FreeBSD, is there any workaround way to make this NIC work ?

<quote>
HARDWARE
The re driver supports RealTek RTL8139C+, RTL8169, RTL816xS, RTL811xS,
RTL8168, RTL810xE and RTL8111 based Fast Ethernet and Gigabit Ethernet
adapters including:

+o Alloy Computer Products EtherGOLD 1439E 10/100 (8139C+)
+o Compaq Evo N1015v Integrated Ethernet (8139C+)
+o Corega CG-LAPCIGT Gigabit Ethernet (8169S)
+o D-Link DGE-528(T) Gigabit Ethernet (8169S)
+o Gigabyte 7N400 Pro2 Integrated Gigabit Ethernet (8110S)
+o LevelOne GNC-0105T (8169S)
+o LinkSys EG1032 (32-bit PCI)
+o PLANEX COMMUNICATIONS Inc. GN-1200TC (8169S)
+o TP-Link TG-3468 v2 Gigabit Ethernet (8168)
+o USRobotics USR997902 Gigabit Ethernet (8169S)
+o Xterasys XN-152 10/100/1000 NIC (8169)

<unquote>

thanks for all input.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Is this ethernet card still not supported even on TrueNas 13?

TrueNAS Core is constrained by what's supported by upstream FreeBSD. There is a more recent re driver in /boot/modules/. You can try running it by creating a loader tunable in System->Tunables if_re_load="YES" and then rebooting.

However, this has proven hit or miss, due to the poor design quality of these Realtek-based chips, and the usual recommendation is to replace this NIC with a proven Intel NIC.

true38nas

Cadet
TrueNAS Core is constrained by what's supported by upstream FreeBSD. There is a more recent re driver in /boot/modules/. You can try running it by creating a loader tunable in System->Tunables if_re_load="YES" and then rebooting.

However, this has proven hit or miss, due to the poor design quality of these Realtek-based chips, and the usual recommendation is to replace this NIC with a proven Intel NIC.
Thank you for the detailed reply. I will look for at least a non-Realtek ethernet card and hopefully an Intel within budget.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's still going to be an absolutely sucky NIC, even if the suckiness is slightly reduced.

true38nas

Cadet
Update:
My friend took a chance on this NIC and I installed TrueNAS SCALE on his computer. The connection to/from it was really unstable, slow and it was almost impossible to get into the web portal. I first thought that the old Athlon CPU used was the cause. I do not remember why I did the following but I disabled IPv6 and suddenly all the mentioned issues were gone.

GUAGGIO

Dabbler

Hi all, could you explain better since I have the same card. I managed to get it to start both with a shell command, which however did not keep the settings on restart and therefore to be reissued, and by editing files in /boot/kernel.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler