Need Help with NIC install

Krextyl

Dabbler
Hi I had an issue with my old FreeNas box that was covered in another thread. I've upgraded/ converted the system to a now TrueNAS 12.0-U5 system but believe the onboard NIC I had been using has gone bad. I disabled it in the bios, picked up a new NIC and dropped it in the system rebooted but the software doesn't recognize the card. How do I 'install' the drivers to have this device useable for progressing my build?

The card I purchased is a TP-Link, Model #TG-3468 Gigabit PCIe Network Adapter, I assume this model is fine but if not let me know and if possible provide me with a suggested affordable alternative.

My system information is in my signature spoiler if needed, likewise if you need any other specific information, just let me know. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
The card I purchased is a TP-Link, Model #TG-3468 Gigabit PCIe Network Adapter, I assume this model is fine
What makes you assume this? No, it's not. It's built on a Realtek chipset, which is not well supported in FreeBSD. I don't know if this particular card is supported at all.

The list of supported network adapters can be found here:

I recommend getting an Intel card.

HTH,
Patrick

Krextyl

Dabbler
What makes you assume this? No, it's not. It's built on a Realtek chipset, which is not well supported in FreeBSD. I don't know if this particular card is supported at all.

The list of supported network adapters can be found here:
Thankyou, I was trying to locate exactly this list! I will try again :) and report back after.

Krextyl

Dabbler
Ok so I have a new network Card (D-Link DGE-530T), it came with the FreeBSD driver on A CDrom. I also have a CDrom drive on my TrueNAS machine. How do I install this? Sorry, if this may seem straightforward but I do not know shell / code for this OS... Please help walk me through what needs to be done.

FYI The card is installed in the machine and has confirmed its works fine when used on another OS in this box.

Last edited:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You should not buya card that needs a driver on a CDROM. There are hundreds of cards that are supported by FreeBSD/TrueNAS out of the box. Pick the card to match the OS. You will not be happy with the one you bought.

While the driver can possibly be hacked into you existing installation - possibly - there is no guarantee it won't panic your system after the next TrueNAS update.

This system does not work like Windows. Never buy hardware that needs additional "drivers".

Krextyl

Dabbler
It was one of the ones on the list you linked above, so I'm a little stumped. I tried to find one of the intel ones as you suggested but each one I searched for seemed to be made for a server chassis instead of a desktop PCI or PCIe slot. That or it was an older model no longer sold by retailers. I'm not trying to come off as blaming you for my ignorance - just confused is all.

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure I need to install it, I just assumed I did. The system boots now but I'm stumped as to the next steps I should take. The webui on my other PC does not find the ip of my system. I will see if I can't redo my network console setup to see if it reads the card etc.

Last edited:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
If it is on the list, you don't need to install whatever might be on that CDROM. Just plug in :wink:

Krextyl

Dabbler
Ok so that is wierd... I restarted the system and now all is well and working without any additional intervention from me. Web Ui on networked machine sees the TrueNAS system.

Krextyl

Dabbler