Adding a second network card

acomisp

Cadet
Hello,

I wanted to add a little redunetcy to my new truenas. The computer come with a on board network card. I was able to get the system up and running with out any issues. I shutdown the nas and install a second nic to it. it is a tp-link pci express tg-3468.

When I bring the truenas back up it only sees the onboard nic em0

Could someone explain to me how to get the second network card working in the system?
Also should the network cards do something like bonding them together somehow?

If so please tell me how to do that too

Thanks Guys

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Could someone explain to me how to get the second network card working in the system?
Maybe not possible with that NIC... finding and messing around to load the driver (and re-load it after each update) is the only option... buy an Intel NIC. (from the official site, there are only Windows drivers available, no mention at all of even Linux, let alone FreeBSD... it's junk, send it back)

Also should the network cards do something like bonding them together somehow?
Not bonding, but if you get an Intel NIC of the same model as your builtin one, you can use LACP to pair them up to share an IP address for failover/load balancing.

With the hardware you have, you shouldn't even consider pairing them at all.

acomisp

Cadet
Is there a way to find drivers that will work with tp-link pci express tg-3468

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Is there a way to find drivers that will work with tp-link pci express tg-3468

No. There are lots of crappy ethernet cards out there designed for Windows, which are simply not supported by other operating systems. Wish-buying one of these and then hoping that FreeNAS/TrueNAS will magically support it is totally backwards. Even a lot of "supported" cards, such as the Realteks, suck pretty badly.

The correct answer is to pick up an Intel Desktop Ethernet CT card, which is very well-supported under FreeNAS, and since it is either the same type or probably sufficiently similar to the em0 interface you already have, is likely to work with LACP if you want to try bonding them together.

acomisp

Cadet
No. There are lots of crappy ethernet cards out there designed for Windows, which are simply not supported by other operating systems. Wish-buying one of these and then hoping that FreeNAS/TrueNAS will magically support it is totally backwards. Even a lot of "supported" cards, such as the Realteks, suck pretty badly.

The correct answer is to pick up an Intel Desktop Ethernet CT card, which is very well-supported under FreeNAS, and since it is either the same type or probably sufficiently similar to the em0 interface you already have, is likely to work with LACP if you want to try bonding them together.
Thank you

acomisp

Cadet
Maybe not possible with that NIC... finding and messing around to load the driver (and re-load it after each update) is the only option... buy an Intel NIC. (from the official site, there are only Windows drivers available, no mention at all of even Linux, let alone FreeBSD... it's junk, send it back)

Not bonding, but if you get an Intel NIC of the same model as your builtin one, you can use LACP to pair them up to share an IP address for failover/load balancing.

Thank you

Thank you for the advice

I mean, u can always put the TP-Link one to the personal PC while u get the intel one for the TrueNAS Core/Scale OS