Asus P5KC Onboard Gigabit NIC (P5K-C)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yatti420

Wizard
Hello everybody,

I just wanted to give a heads up regarding the Asus P5KC and Freenas.. The onboard NIC seems to be unstable and crashing consistently under Freenas/Windows.. I am not sure if this is my motherboard specifically or all P5KC in existence.. It seems that when I put SMB under heavy load it chokes and fatal traps the system using onboard gigabit NIC.. The D-link pci (DFE Series) gigabit card I put in seems to work find and outperform my onboard despite its age.. I've yet to have another fatal trap I just hope I didn't speak to soon.. I am not exactly sure what to do to get the p5kc operating smoothly as I noticed the same drops when this comp was running Windows 7 previously..

I spent a day tweaking the BIOS to no avail.. I put in my dlink card and put SMB under load usually 1 video / large transfer. I should note I am only on 100mb router as I donated my good router to my parents network..

Thanks,

cyberjock

Inactive Account

Yatti420

Wizard
Considering that the ASUS website lists the LAN card as "PCIe Gigabit LAN controller" I'm not the least bit surprised. That's so freakin' awesome! I laughed so hard when I saw that.

Seriously.. that's what ASUS' website says! http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5KC/#specifications

Yes it's true... I even tried setting the pcie frequency at 100mhz.. I could have a wonky port.. It only seemed to be SMB doing it though at infrequent points in time... Rsync worked great and fast for drive to drive..

Edit: Also this is what was causing Zfs checksum issues I think and am holding my breath..

Status
Not open for further replies.