Newbie Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigLeo

Dabbler
Hi,

I currently run WHS 2011 on an HP N54L microserver with 16GB memory and I'm looking at running FreeNAS instead. I've read various things but I have a few basic questions that I hope someone can help me with.

1. Can I run Logitech Media Server on FreeNAS to manage my Squeezebox music players?
2. The same question for Asset music server?
3. I see that FreeNAS has an LDAP client. Can it run as an LDAP server? What I'd like to do is have a single sign-on for all of the machines on my home network as I keep forgetting the accounts/passwords. Is this the best way of doing it?
4. I'd like to set-up an internal home email system where I fetch a copy of email from Google etc and store it on the FreeNAS server and then access it via various devices in the house. Can I do that on FreeNAS?
5. Lastly, what do I need to do to allow all the machines in my house to access the FreeNAS file system? Do I need to configure NFS and Samba or does FreeNAS do this out of the box?

Sorry if these questions are rather basic. I have read a great deal and watched some YouTube videos but I can't seem to find up to date answers.

Regards,

Leo

danb35

Hall of Famer
Can I run Logitech Media Server on FreeNAS to manage my Squeezebox music players?
There isn't a plugin for it, but it appears you can install it manually in a jail. I'd expect the same is true of Asset. The most popular media server packages here seem to be Plex (by a wide margin) and Emby (a distant second).
Can it run as an LDAP server?
This could no doubt be done in a jail as well, but FreeNAS doesn't ship with this capability.
I'd like to set-up an internal home email system
Could be done in a jail, but it would take a lot of work. I'd suggest different server software for this task; I use Nethserver for my home mail server (it will also serve as a LDAP or Active Directory server, addressing the question above).
Lastly, what do I need to do to allow all the machines in my house to access the FreeNAS file system?
Set up whatever type of sharing you want to use, most likely SMB. FreeNAS makes it point and click, but you do need to specify the shares, permissions, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.