To LDAP or Not To LDAP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ewhac

Contributor
This isn't really FreeNAS-specific (except that any LDAP server would be run in a FreeNAS jail), but nevertheless...

Right now I'm running FreeNAS as my home file server. Not long ago, I set up an Internet-facing Postfix mail server running in a FreeNAS jail -- I'm not treating it seriously at the moment, but hope to in the future. Last week, as an experiment, I got PyTivo successfully running in a jail; and now I'm considering installing ownCloud or Plex or some such. Which brings me to the subject of user administration.

As it stands now, I just create the users in FreeNAS and each individual jail, which is just annoying enough to make me consider installing an LDAP server. I am currently laboring under the belief that LDAP will allow me to centrally manage user authentication/authorization across all services I may care to start up. However, I know nothing about LDAP beyond its superficial function, i.e. an (ostensibly) lightweight database typically used to hold a table of users. In particular, I've found its database syntax/field names rather confusing.

What kind of monstrous headache am I in for if I attempt this? (Note that I'm interested in ActiveDirectory precisely to the extent, and no further, that it gets SMB/CIFS file sharing to work. Windows is a permanent second-class citizen under my roof...)

Status
Not open for further replies.