How to access Firefly & MiniDlna on Other devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

prateek9000

Cadet
Hi Guys,

I am really a Noob to Free Nas. This is my third day since i just started my FreeNAS. I have just not been able to build a server with Transmission, Firefly & MiniDlna. I have followed the steps given on

http://lifehacker.com/turn-an-old-computer-into-a-do-anything-home-server-wit-510023147

to setup my server.

Now my questions are as follows:-

1) How do i access All the videos and music on my other computer in the network. Is iTunes the only way to do it. and if iTunes is for music what can be done for video streaming.

2) How do i access both the music and the videos on my Android and my iPhone/iPad in the same network.

3) i have 3 Samsung led tv with WiFi & dlna built-in can i access all the music and videos on the same

hope you guys don't mind me probably asking such basic questions.

Thanks a lot for the replies and the help
Prateek

Knowltey

Patron
Ugh Lifehacker.

Turning an "Old Computer Into a Do-Anything Home Server with FreeNAS 8"

is basically guaranteed to be below the minimum requirements for FreeNAS. The minimum requirements for FreeNAS require a minimum of *GB ECC RAM. I can pretty much gaurantee that your "Old Computer" doesn't have a motherboard, and processor that supports ECC as well as actual ECC RAM, unless your old computer just happens to be purpose built to be used as a server.

prateek9000

Cadet
Hi Knowitey,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes i have a old Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93 MHz Processor with DDR2 RAM ( as of now 4 gb) if the system works i will upgrade it to an 8 gb ram. My motherboard is Asus P5KPL-VM/S.

Now what is the best thing i can do with this system. and how can i run firefly minidlna and transmission on iPhone/iPad/Andriod 4.3+ system.

Thanks a lot
Prateek

cyberjock

Inactive Account

prateek9000

Cadet
Prateek,

Note his ECC RAM requirement. Your system is not compatible with ECC RAM. You really are in a position to need to replace your motherboard, CPU, and RAM unless you are okay with the risk of losing your pool from bitflips and bad RAM.

Read: http://forums.freenas.org/threads/ecc-vs-non-ecc-ram-and-zfs.15449/

Hi cyberjock,

Can you suggest the least expensive motherboard that will support ecc ram and also works with a core 2 duo is possible. if not the best and cheapest processes that you guys suggest.
I am bit low on funds.... that is why i was not able to buy a NAS unit from the market and thought of using my old pc as a unit as may suggested the same on google.

I dont want to risk my data thts y i even wanted RAID 5 system. your suggestion are really appreciated. Please help us out.

The NAS is basically for movies and music for my home.

thanks a lot
prateek

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Core 2 Duo CPUs aren't compatible with ECC. That's why I said you will need to replace your CPU, motherboard, and RAM. You'd have to do your own homework for your part of the world to find cost effective solutions. I will warn you that the cost is about $500 typically.

Also, RAID5 is not considered safe. The link in my sig explains why RAID5 is dead. Use RAID5/RAIDZ1 at your own risk. I've put that link there because so many people have lost their data and hopefully my sig can deter people.

FreeNAS is designed as an Enterprise class solution. It's not meant to be cheap or used on old hardware. But,it is meant to be a very safe way to store your data when you use the appropriate hardware.

Feel free to read the manual at doc.freenas.org and check out the stickies in the forum sections. If you read and follow those you can avoid many of the data-losing errors others have been known to do.

Good luck!

Knowltey

Patron
Hi cyberjock,

Can you suggest the least expensive motherboard that will support ecc ram and also works with a core 2 duo is possible. if not the best and cheapest processes that you guys suggest.

That's simply not possible the Core 2 Duo line simply is not compatible with ECC itself. Note that the motherboard as well as the CPU need to be compatible, in your case neither is. I'd advise reading the sticky about ECC ram and making a decision there as to how valuable your data is. Without ECC you can lose it ALL in the blink of an eye, and it's quite likely to happen in a filessytem that performs lots of checksums and error correction as such filesystems rely on trusting that the information in RAM is correct, which you can't trust unless your RAM is ECC.

Status
Not open for further replies.