miniDLNA settings on 8.2.0 p1? Clarification desired...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Cadet
I'm attempting to get miniDLNA running correctly on 8.2.0 p1 and have a question.
From here: http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Plugins#MiniDLNA it says that the 'Media Directory' is the location where I store media files.

How does this related to mount points?

The way I see it I have three options

- The directory I select when configuring miniDLNA should be my 'Videos' dataset straight off my ZFS volume.
or
- It should be the mount point I create under the jail (that translates to the 'Videos' dataset straight off my ZFS volume.)
or
- It should be some other variant path from the jail / plugins dataset that I'm not exactly familiar with. (zfs_Volume/jail/media I've noticed exists...)

Can someone provide clarification?

Also, for a bonus question, since miniDLNA serves up music and videos (as I understand it, anyway - haven't seen it for my own eyes yet) but there's only one 'Media directory' option when configuring miniDLNA, should I have a parent 'Media' folder on my ZFS dataset that contains 'Music' and 'Videos' beneath it? Is that the typical format for laying this out?

Excuse my noobness, but hopefully I'm making sense....

thanks

paleoN

Wizard
How does this related to mount points?
Most people setup a mount point for their media directory. Otherwise you would have to have your files inside the jail.

- It should be the mount point I create under the jail (that translates to the 'Videos' dataset straight off my ZFS volume.)
This is the one you want. There is a bug though:

As said in another thread, the directory settings in minidlna config screen is buggy... use the path within the jail there: /usr/pbi/minidlna-amd64/media, instead of /mnt/prime/PluginsJail/soft/usr/pbi/minidlna-amd64/media

Magua

Cadet
Most people setup a mount point for their media directory. Otherwise you would have to have your files inside the jail.

Okaaaaay, still confused. Where does the /usr/pbi/minidlna-amd64/media path come in? Is that essentially an alias for my mount point?

matlock

Contributor
I've been spending quite a bit of time working with miniDLNA. Let me give this a shot- maybe explaining how I have things setup will help you gain a better understanding.

So you got the jail and miniDLNA installed... good.
After this- I created a dataset named 'Media' (the path is /mnt/prime/media)

Referencing this youtube video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwW3OmT3eTw - thank you protosd - I created the folder within my miniDLNA plugin - that folder is /PluginsJail/soft/usr/pbi/minidlna-amd64/media
*** I only used the section for creating the media folder within the miniDLNA - there is a lot of useful information in the video though.

Under services on the left - going to miniDLNA - I set the "MEDIA DIRECTORY" to "/usr/pbi/minidlna-amd64/media"
***This is where I believe some confusion comes into play- because the pathing starts right at /mnt/prime/.../ and so it looks like you can pick the dataset you created earlier on (/mnt/prime/media) but this is misleading. At any rate- just set your 'media directory' by manually typing in '/usr/pbi/minidlna-amd64/media'

Now go create a mount point-
Set the source to /mnt/prime/Media
*** This is where you will put your - yes- Media

Set the Destination of the mount point to /mnt/prime/PluginsJail/soft/usr/pbi/minidlna-amd64/media

Viola it should work.
NOW- i have yet to do this myself - but for those who have various types of media... music, videos and pictures this should be easy to address.

This site- (from the wiki) http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/oneiric/man5/minidlna.conf.5.html addresses various media types- but i've yet to get this far in my own setup and so i'm not familiar with the specifics and or details yet of how to get it to work.

Maybe someone else can do a write-up 'for dummies' on how to properly use :
media_dir
Path to the directory containing the media files the minidlna
server should share. Use this option several times if you have
more than one directory to share. To restrict a path to one
specific media type, you can use the following syntax: the letter
‘A’, ‘V’ or ‘P’, followed by a comma (‘,’) followed by the path.
The meaning of the first letter is as follows:
· ‘A’ for audio files;
· ‘V’ for video files;
· ‘P’ for image files.
For example, if you want to include only video files located
under the /opt/media/videos directory, you would use
media_dir=V,/opt/media/videos.

Hope that helps-
Matlock

Magua

Cadet
matlock, you have lived up to your name. Thank you for the excellent and thorough clarification. I had two things screwed up - my mount point and my miniDLNA media directory. Now that they are both properly starting with /usr/... all is well!

Thank you very much!

I'll dive into the media types later after I've read up more on it...

paleoN

Wizard
***This is where I believe some confusion comes into play- because the pathing starts right at /mnt/prime/.../ and so it looks like you can pick the dataset you created earlier on (/mnt/prime/media) but this is misleading. At any rate- just set your 'media directory' by manually typing in '/usr/pbi/minidlna-amd64/media'
This is a bug which will be fixed in the next update.

From the minidlna.conf.sample file:
Code:
# use different container as root of the tree
# possible values:
#   + "." - use standard container (this is the default)
#   + "B" - "Browse Directory"
#   + "M" - "Music"
#   + "V" - "Video"
#   + "P" - "Pictures"
# if you specify "B" and client device is audio-only then "Music/Folders" will be used as root
#root_container=.

# * if have multiple directories, you can have multiple media_dir= lines
# * if you want to restrict a media_dir to a specific content type, you
#   can prepend the type, followed by a comma, to the directory:
#   + "A" for audio  (eg. media_dir=A,/home/jmaggard/Music)
#   + "V" for video  (eg. media_dir=V,/home/jmaggard/Videos)
#   + "P" for images (eg. media_dir=P,/home/jmaggard/Pictures)

newstartech

Dabbler
I am new to the forum. Spend a few days to try get Freenas 8.20 going with dlna and still facing trouble. Freenas 8.20 (64bit) is easy to install. However, config gives me some trouble. 1) After create a storage (UFS, since it is old PC with 1Tb space on 2nd hdd only). I have problem to setup a share. Finally solved with reboot the Freenas. Then, you are able to entry the path (in add share pop up). -Solved 2) Install Plugins and minidlna. After a few trying and finally all services starts. And from my Window media player I can find the new Freenas. However, I don't know where the liberary location. And in WMP, there is no music or folder listed under new NAS dlna server.
Here are my settings:
hardware: AMD X2 3800+, 3Gb RAM, 160G SATA as system disc and 1Tb SATA as data disc. Gbit Lan card on mainboard.
Software: FreeNas 8.2.0 Release-p1-x64 (r11950)
Storage volume ADA1 /mnt/ADA1
Share Name: Data /mnt/ADA1
Plugins Jail path: /mnt/ADA1/Software
Jail Name: plugin

Following above thread, I setup miniDLNA plugins 1.0.22_3-amd64
Friendly name: Nas-media
Media directory: /mnt/ADA1/Software/Plugin/usr/pbi/minidlna-amd64/MyMedia
port 8200
discover interval: 890
Rescan on (re)start, ticked

Plugin starts ok.

Created mounting point
/mnt/ADA1/MyMedia to /mnt/ADA1/Software/Plugin/usr/minidlna-am64/MyMedia

under windows 7 PC
access \\freenas\data
in MyMedia folder (/mnt/ADA1/MyMedia), create folder Music, and copied a few music mp3 files. I can see music folders and music mp3 files are stored in /mnt/ADA1/Software/Plugin/usr/minidlna-am64/MyMedia as well. (Mount point working ok)

in WMP (windows Media Player), I can see NAS-Media, however, no music I can found.

Can anyone help me to found with where I am doing wrong?

f35t3r

Cadet
Working!!!

Spent A few days trying to see media in MiniDLNA and after following the instructions above found that nothing was shown

this was pointing minidlna at /Media

after some thought I decided to try something else

so I pointed it @ /usr/pbi/minidlna-i386/Media (please check the name of you minidlna folder and replace it with the correct one)

no I can see all the media I have in the folder

FYI I created /Media/Films and /Media/Podcasts so I could see different folders in the media server

this meant that I only had to setup the one media folder inside minidlna as well

Hope this helps...

F35T3R

I am new to the forum. Spend a few days to try get Freenas 8.20 going with dlna and still facing trouble. Freenas 8.20 (64bit) is easy to install. However, config gives me some trouble. 1) After create a storage (UFS, since it is old PC with 1Tb space on 2nd hdd only). I have problem to setup a share. Finally solved with reboot the Freenas. Then, you are able to entry the path (in add share pop up). -Solved 2) Install Plugins and minidlna. After a few trying and finally all services starts. And from my Window media player I can find the new Freenas. However, I don't know where the liberary location. And in WMP, there is no music or folder listed under new NAS dlna server.
Here are my settings:
hardware: AMD X2 3800+, 3Gb RAM, 160G SATA as system disc and 1Tb SATA as data disc. Gbit Lan card on mainboard.
Software: FreeNas 8.2.0 Release-p1-x64 (r11950)
Storage volume ADA1 /mnt/ADA1
Share Name: Data /mnt/ADA1
Plugins Jail path: /mnt/ADA1/Software
Jail Name: plugin

Following above thread, I setup miniDLNA plugins 1.0.22_3-amd64
Friendly name: Nas-media
Media directory: /mnt/ADA1/Software/Plugin/usr/pbi/minidlna-amd64/MyMedia
port 8200
discover interval: 890
Rescan on (re)start, ticked

Plugin starts ok.

Created mounting point
/mnt/ADA1/MyMedia to /mnt/ADA1/Software/Plugin/usr/minidlna-am64/MyMedia

under windows 7 PC
access \\freenas\data
in MyMedia folder (/mnt/ADA1/MyMedia), create folder Music, and copied a few music mp3 files. I can see music folders and music mp3 files are stored in /mnt/ADA1/Software/Plugin/usr/minidlna-am64/MyMedia as well. (Mount point working ok)

in WMP (windows Media Player), I can see NAS-Media, however, no music I can found.

Can anyone help me to found with where I am doing wrong?

unchained

Cadet
I've been trying this for several days now.
Currently i have:
Freenas 8.2.0
minidlna-1.0.22_3-i386
Ip of freenas is 192.168.10.10
The jail is 192.168.10.11

Directory with media is: /mnt/Storage/software/pbi/sabnzbd-i386/data/Downloads/complete/Media
(yes it's a long, but i don't mind)
I've got the mount set as:
Source: /mnt/Storage/software/pbi/sabnzbd-i386/data/Downloads/complete/Media
Destination /mnt/Storage/jail/software/usr/pbi/minidlna-i386/MYmedia

The miniDLNA shared folder is:
/mnt/Storage/jail/software/usr/pbi/minidlna-i386/MYmedia

I'm really not sure why it's not finding the files, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

paleoN

Wizard
minidlna-1.0.22_3-i386
Is this minidlna from one of the 8.3 Betas? If not uninstall the current minidlna and install the latest 8.3.0-BETA3 minidlna which includes the path bug fix.

I'm really not sure why it's not finding the files, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Your mounts look a bit off to me. If you are still having trouble with minidlna after installing the above, from a SSH session as root supply the output of:
Code:
mount

jexec `jls jid` cat /usr/pbi/minidlna-i386/etc/minidlna.conf

jexec `jls jid` cat /var/log/minidlna.log

Grillz9909

Cadet
I've been spending quite a bit of time working with miniDLNA. Let me give this a shot- maybe explaining how I have things setup will help you gain a better understanding.

So you got the jail and miniDLNA installed... good.
After this- I created a dataset named 'Media' (the path is /mnt/prime/media)

Referencing this youtube video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwW3OmT3eTw - thank you protosd - I created the folder within my miniDLNA plugin - that folder is /PluginsJail/soft/usr/pbi/minidlna-amd64/media
*** I only used the section for creating the media folder within the miniDLNA - there is a lot of useful information in the video though.

Under services on the left - going to miniDLNA - I set the "MEDIA DIRECTORY" to "/usr/pbi/minidlna-amd64/media"

Now go create a mount point-
Set the source to /mnt/prime/Media
*** This is where you will put your - yes- Media

Set the Destination of the mount point to /mnt/prime/PluginsJail/soft/usr/pbi/minidlna-amd64/media

Viola it should work.
NOW- i have yet to do this myself - but for those who have various types of media... music, videos and pictures this should be easy to address.

This site- (from the wiki) http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/oneiric/man5/minidlna.conf.5.html addresses various media types- but i've yet to get this far in my own setup and so i'm not familiar with the specifics and or details yet of how to get it to work.

Maybe someone else can do a write-up 'for dummies' on how to properly use :
media_dir
Path to the directory containing the media files the minidlna
server should share. Use this option several times if you have
more than one directory to share. To restrict a path to one
specific media type, you can use the following syntax: the letter
‘A’, ‘V’ or ‘P’, followed by a comma (‘,’) followed by the path.
The meaning of the first letter is as follows:
· ‘A’ for audio files;
· ‘V’ for video files;
· ‘P’ for image files.
For example, if you want to include only video files located
under the /opt/media/videos directory, you would use
media_dir=V,/opt/media/videos.

Hope that helps-
Matlock

Thank you very much worked perfect!

Status
Not open for further replies.