New NAS for home

Whattteva

Wizard
I never heard that before... Do you have info on such an upgrade for a X9SCM-F?
Oh my bad. Upon double-checking my SuperServer 5018D-MF, it actually has an X10SLL-F. I mistakenly thought it was an X9. Disregard...

Redcoat

MVP
Oh my bad. Upon double-checking my SuperServer 5018D-MF, it actually has an X10SLL-F. I mistakenly thought it was an X9. Disregard...
Thx.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Any other suggestions for mobo+CPU? If I got with the supermicro, what would be a good CPU to match it with?
So you went for an X9 board?

If so, any CPU with 4+ cores and a high clock speed will be a good starting point. I have an Xeon E5 1620 (3.6 GHz), which came with the board and for my home lab use it usually idles at around 2-5%. I would basically check Intel's ARC database and then see what the various CPUs cost on eBay. My guess is that many are so cheap that you can afford 2-3 and play around with them; but that is purely an assumption.

JamesBong

Dabbler
So you went for an X9 board?

If so, any CPU with 4+ cores and a high clock speed will be a good starting point. I have an Xeon E5 1620 (3.6 GHz), which came with the board and for my home lab use it usually idles at around 2-5%. I would basically check Intel's ARC database and then see what the various CPUs cost on eBay. My guess is that many are so cheap that you can afford 2-3 and play around with them; but that is purely an assumption.

Chris, not yet. If I proceed I will get myself an E5-1650v4, but no board purchase yet. If you were on my shoes would you buy a different brand or supericro model?

Etorix

Wizard
Look for the board first, as you'll need an E5v1/2 or E5v3/4 depending on generation.

JamesBong

Dabbler
Look for the board first, as you'll need an E5v1/2 or E5v3/4 depending on generation.
Hi Etorix. That's my point precisely, I'm still not sure if a Supermicro board is the way to go and, if yes, which model should I get as I'm a complete newbie when it comes to Truenas and supermicro...

Etorix

Wizard
I don't know the X9 line-up well enough to make any specific recommendation. Given the age of these boards, I'd rather suggest that you look at what you can get hold of, and then make sure that the feature set is right for your needs (for instance, a dual-socket E-ATX board is likely over the top).

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Desktop style cases designed for storage are hard to find individually. The Q26A from lian li was probably the closest thing to a “perfect” storage appliance case I can think of, as long as you don’t need anything bigger than a mini ITX board. Sadly, it’s no longer made.

I currently use a a70 from Lian Li and while it cheapens out on some aspects (ie panels are thinner, no longer uses spring loaded catches to hold the panel, I found the backplane design for the HDDs to be pretty ok, decent spacing between drives, etc.

verbage

Cadet
I have a Silverstone Grandia GD07.
Looks like a standard HTPC enclosure, supports ATX motherboards and PSUs and if you ever get a rack then it also is 19" compatible.

A fractal node 804 would also fulfill your requirements. It's cheaper but only handles mATX mobos.

For CPU etc. you could get a low powered ryzen 5600(G) or similar and also turn on eco mode in the UEFI to get it to run cool with minimal fan speed. (But be aware that the G models do not support ECC).
As for the PSU beQuiet usually lives up to their name.
Hi @asap2go and others.

So is the AMD Ryzen 5600G fully-supported under TN CORE or is SCALE needed for full support?

Sorry if this question seems out-of-touch, but it completely is because I have not been following TrueNAS development. In fact, I'm still running end-of-life FreeNAS 11.3 on on old i3-2105 system that originally started with FreeNAS 8 from ages ago. But that hardware is getting long in tooth so I'm going to be upgrading, and just snapped up a good deal on a Ryzen 5600G.

In my limited catching up over the last few hours, I am understanding that Intel is the preferred brand for TN CORE given its FreeBSD roots, but TN SCALE might work better for less selective hardware given its Linux roots. I'd prefer to stay on CORE as it is the direct descendent of FreeNAS, but if the Ryzen 5600G has hiccups on CORE, I'll probably start with SCALE.

Anyway, I'll figure this out myself once all my new gear arrives, but if somebody can save me some testing time at this point, happy to hear it!

artlessknave

Wizard
bewc
I never heard that before... Do you have info on such an upgrade for a X9SCM-
that would be because that was stated in error. the html5 upgrades start with x10.
openwebstart can help dramatically with the java issues (open source java web start), and the ipmiview application as well, (though it has a bug in its included java version that causes 8 bit colours on the console - very annoying). the linux version sometimes works better.
have a rack to host a server
you dont have to have a rack to host a server. rackmount servers will work absolutely fine on the floor, or a shelf. you can make or get vertical wall racks as well, or small wall racks. "to rack or not rack" is not the only question. just make sure it has enough space to breath and isnt under like water sources.

in addition, anything that serves is a server. it doesnt matter what the chassis or case it. server/enterprise-grade hardware is purpose built for servers, but anything can be a server.

an antex 1200 or xigmatek something have a ton of bays you can add hdd bays to (if you can find them), but a server chassis in an unused room will be the best for density.

JamesBong

Dabbler
So things are coming together. Acquired:

Case: Fractal Design Define 7 XL
Power Supply: Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold
Motherboard: Supermicro X9SRH-7TF
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2690 V2 3GHz
RAM: 2x 32GB LRDIMM ECC REG DDR3-1866 Supermicro
Extra HBA: Intel RS3UC080 SATA 12Gb x8 LSI 9300-8i 9311

Any advice on CPU cooler for the 2690 v2? Whatteva, are you happy with those Arctic P14 PWM PST 140mm fans? Looking for something really silent as the NAS will be sitting at my home office where I spend most my day...

Last edited:

Whattteva

Wizard
So things are coming together. Acquired:

Case: Fractal Design Define 7 XL
Power Supply: Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold
Motherboard: Supermicro X9SRH-7TF
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2690 V2 3GHz
RAM: 2x 32GB LRDIMM ECC REG DDR3-1866 Supermicro
Extra HBA: Intel RS3UC080 SATA 12Gb x8 LSI 9300-8i 9311

Any advice on CPU cooler for the 2690 v2? Whatteva, are you happy with those Arctic P14 PWM PST 140mm fans? Looking for something really silent as the NAS will be sitting at my home office where I spend most my day...
I'm pretty happy with them. I use 5 of them at low speed and I can't hear them at all unless the room is complete dead silent. I can definitely put this thing in my bedroom and easily sleep with it running. It's currently in my living room and most people that visit my home don't even know it's there.