Help Me Build My First NAS

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Here you have an issue with the number of drives. 8-12 spinning drives are NOT going to be quiet.
The (8) 3.5" HGST I run are virtually silent; the (3) 2.5" HP drives are actually louder. The better the drive the less the vibration.

(If you're new to this, you may be able to run only 1 consumer hard drive in a system--seriously. The vibrations from multiple drives can cause harmonic oscillation and destroy the bearings prematurely. Two drives is usually safe as there's enough mass in a metal chassis to damp the vibrations, however more than that depends on the drive rating. WD Red, designed for NAS usage: support for up to 8 bays. (also note these are SMR drives, so not for use with ZFS) I'm pretty sure WD Gold has no such limitation, HGST is unlimited.​

HGST is helium filled so runs quieter and uses less power, they're high-end server drives. They're also SAS, not SATA, so be aware they will not work on SATA ports, though SATA works on SAS ports.)​

fitting the tiny tabs of these trays in their slits is a bit of hassle.
True, but maybe worth it vs. buying a larger server case. Then again, maybe a server case is the better option?

Xeon Bronze 3204 / 6 Cores / 6 Threads / 1.90 GHz
Super Micro X11SPL-F
HBACard (LSI 9400-16i)
Seasonic PRIME GX-650W Gold
Fractal Design Case ( Define 7 or Define R6)
All great choices. You could save some money with a lesser HBA card, the hardware guide suggests that.

Need some cables from my 12 hard drives and HBA card
I've had good luck with: CableCreation SATA III Cable, [5-Pack] 18-inch SATA
I wouldn't over-bend them....

How do I handle cable management with 12 hard drives?
50pcs /100pcs Releasable Cable Ties --they come in different lengths, 15cm works inside cases well.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Fractal Design Case ( Define 7 or Define R6)
If you want your drives to stay cool (30-35 C) these cases will not allow for a quiet setup. I have 8 drives in an R6 and had to mount 2 high static pressure fans (I use Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM) and they are loud.

The problem with the case is that the HDDs need to be mounted on sleds. Those sleds cover the bottom and sides of the HDD and by that inhibit heat dissipation. Between two drives there is a gap of not more than 2 mm. All in all this means that silent cooling is not possible if drives are mounted next to each other. If you use only every other HDD slot, that would of course be different. But with 12 drives I can't imagine this to be an option here.

Etorix

Wizard
A quiet CPU cooler?
A Noctua NH-U12S DX-3647 will do (ore even a U9). Cooling the CPU is the least of your issues compared with drive noise (unavoidable) and case fans to cool the drives.
Even if helium-filed drives are quieter than air-filled models, they are not strictly silent and the noise does add up, even in the absence of aggravating vibration noise. Fractal Design drive trays are expensive (extras will quickly cost as much as the case!), use lots of screws, are fiddly to put in place, do not help with cooling, and wiring drives for power and data is not fun. I've found the Nanoxia Deep Silence 8 Pro to be much easier to work with than a Define 7 on all of the above counts. Tower cases from Antec or beQuiet may be worth a look as well. But none of these will be "quiet" with 10+ helium-filled spinners: The buzz and humm will NOT let you ignore when the NAS is powered on.

@Etorix : Great point on the sled cost, and I believe the sled material is plastic (an insulator).

Doesn't the Nanoxia Deep Silence 8 Pro have these slots:
(1) 5.25"
(8) 3.5"
(2) 2.5"

If so in this particular application that's not ideal either, though it's a question as I have no experience with the cases.

Zog

Dabbler
If you want your drives to stay cool (30-35 C) these cases will not allow for a quiet setup. I have 8 drives in an R6 and had to mount 2 high static pressure fans (I use Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM) and they are loud.

The problem with the case is that the HDDs need to be mounted on sleds. Those sleds cover the bottom and sides of the HDD and by that inhibit heat dissipation. Between two drives there is a gap of not more than 2 mm. All in all this means that silent cooling is not possible if drives are mounted next to each other. If you use only every other HDD slot, that would of course be different. But with 12 drives I can't imagine this to be an option here.
Since I want 12 hard drives, Would the Define 7 solve this problem? Its a bigger case with sound proofing.

Zog

Dabbler
Also curious how much I will paying for electricity with this system? I am going to use Seasonic PRIME GX-650W Gold.

The Seasonic PRIME GX-650W power supply unit (PSU) is available in three different configurations: gold full modular, gold semi-modular, and platinum full modular. Which configuration do you recommend?

Last edited:

Etorix

Wizard
@Etorix : Great point on the sled cost, and I believe the sled material is plastic (an insulator).
It is metal. But on the PCB side of the drive, with an air gap, it doesn't help.

The Nanoxia Deep Silence 8 Pro would indeed not have enough trays for 10-12 drives. But I have this case, and found the experience of filling it with drives much, much smoother than filling a Define 7. My point is that the Define series is not the best choice for storage among similar ATX towers. (With the further point that no tower case will be quiet once filled with spinners.)

Also curious how much I will paying for electricity with this system? I am going to use Seasonic PRIME GX-650W Gold.
Undersized for your number of drives.

Zog

Dabbler

what case would you recommend for me?

NugentS

MVP
The HBA you selected is a Tri-mode card. These do not have the testing that the standard HBA's have.
Just warning you. They aren't MegaRAID cards, but I don't know how good they are

danb35

Hall of Famer
How do I handle cable management with 12 hard drives?
You use a rack chassis with a SAS expander backplane and a suitable HBA.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
what case would you recommend for me?
I haven not found a tower yet that is available locally. Today I would aim for a rackmount case with enough slot so that I need to use only every second. That would make cooling easier and quieter. But a system with 10+ drives will always be far from silent.

Zog

Dabbler
I finally got my Fractal Design Define XL case. I am looking for some help with cabling.

Fractal_Design_Define_7_Define_7_XL_Feature_Visuals_CableManagement._Dark-3840x2716.jpg

I will be installing 12 hard drives. Any idea where I can find the hard drive cables?

Thank you.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Cases do not come with SATA cables

Etorix

Wizard
That depends what you're connecting the drives to. Most convenient would be SAS breakout cables from a HBA. The motherboard may come with some cables.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Boy, I don't even want to think about the amount of man-hours that would have gone into getting all those cables ready for the shoot, were it not a render.

The nice thing about computer graphics is that they're disconnected from reality and its ugly bits like elasticity in the cables, weight of the cables or the fact that SATA cables do not magically merge together into a single cable, making a neat wiring loom sort of thing.

I will be installing 12 hard drives. Any idea where I can find the hard drive cables?

It depends on what your controller has. I have a SAS controllers capable of running SATA drives with these cables:

HOWEVER, I also have:
SFF-8643 to (4) 29Pin SFF-8482 SATA (two different styles of them)
SFF-8087 to (4) 29pin+15Pin SFF-8482 SATA

(it depends on the HBA connector and drive on the other end)
without the power dongles (to save space in the case)

Though you might need these if you're running off the mainboard:

You'll probably also need some sort of power splitter like:

I'll mention this again for completeness:
50pcs /100pcs Releasable Cable Ties --they come in different lengths, 15cm works inside cases well.

Fire it up without the drives in and see how loud it is, you may want to spend a bunch of money on fans (unfortunately).

Zog

Dabbler
Cases do not come with SATA cables

That depends what you're connecting the drives to. Most convenient would be SAS breakout cables from a HBA. The motherboard may come with some cables.

Very good question. I have the X11SPL-F that supports up to 10 SATA hard drives, which is the maximum number of drives that can be connected directly to the motherboard. But I also have HBACard (LSI 9400-16i). Should I plug in all my hard drives into the HBA Card or connect 10 drives to the mother board and the rest on HBA card? What would be the best setup?

Etorix

Wizard
You've overspent on the HBA compared to a 9300-8i, or even 9200, but if the HBA is needed anyway, I'd use it as much as possible just because the breakout cables will be easier to manage than 10 SATA cables.

Zog

Dabbler
You've overspent on the HBA compared to a 9300-8i, or even 9200, but if the HBA is needed anyway, I'd use it as much as possible just because the breakout cables will be easier to manage than 10 SATA cables.
I already had the HBA card from another system. So it would be best to plug all the hard drive into the HBA ?

One potential advantage of connecting some drives directly to the motherboard is that they may have faster access times and lower latency compared to drives connected through an HBA card.? is this true?

THANKS!