BUILD New Home Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

yourmate

Contributor
Here in the hot Texas summers, my old A/C system will run 24/7 when the outside temps
reach 40 degrees Celsius.
I don't have such a problem in the UK - on the contrary I wish it'd reach 24C ;)

Jacopx

Patron
Here in the hot Texas summers, my old A/C system will run 24/7 when the outside temps
reach 40 degrees Celsius. When those times occur, the ambient air inside my house
will not go below 29 degrees (the drives in my server idle about 10 degrees above ambient)
therefore my server must be shut down until the heatwave is over.
The ambient temps today have risen to 24 (no A/C turned on yet this year)
and smart is currently reporting drives at 34 :D
I'm nothing if not consistent ;)

Ok, Thanks! I Have understand!
Is right that a good temperature to store the drive is between 20-30?

I come from Italy and, during the summer, it isn't cold [emoji17]

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Yep, 30-35 is even better and if can keep the temp constant it's even better ;)

But the general rule is: just don't go over 40 °C and everything will be fine :)

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Is right that a good temperature to store the drive is between 20-30?
Considering drives idle for most of their life (talking home use here), the range you mentioned could be hard to achieve in a private
home environment. Your objective (IMHO) should be below 40 during scrubs/extended usage. There are some who believe that
below 30 for extended periods is not good either, however I don't see temps like that here so I ignore that condition.
My server is set up to email me (and it does) when ANY drive in the system hits 39 degrees. Usually when I get this warning, my
case is dusty and needs a cleaning. Once the filters are cleaned, temps go right back down again.
I recommend to anyone building a new server to learn how to set temp threshold reports with emailed warnings. Many forum
members are understandably quite fanatical about it and I live in this camp as well.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
If only the overtemp mail worked for everyone...

Jacopx

Patron
Considering drives idle for most of their life (talking home use here), the range you mentioned could be hard to achieve in a private
home environment. Your objective (IMHO) should be below 40 during scrubs/extended usage. There are some who believe that
below 30 for extended periods is not good either, however I don't see temps like that here so I ignore that condition.
My server is set up to email me (and it does) when ANY drive in the system hits 39 degrees. Usually when I get this warning, my
case is dusty and needs a cleaning. Once the filters are cleaned, temps go right back down again.
I recommend to anyone building a new server to learn how to set temp threshold reports with emailed warnings. Many forum
members are understandably quite fanatical about it and I live in this camp as well.

You'll say that i'm crazy... With my old config I did not trust my components and i had set a mail report with temperature for all drive and cpu EVERY HOURS and in a .log file every 30 minutes. I'm uploading my log file where you can see my temperature!

Attachments

• temp.txt
    63.8 KB · Views: 253

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I'm totally jealous.
Do you see anything like this outside your front door lol
polarbear-North-Pole.jpg

Jacopx

Patron

Jacopx

Patron
I Have bought everything!

I'm trying to install it, but when I have look that my PSU have only a 24pin + 4pin 12volts cable and my motherboard need 24+8 cable... Is there a possibility to buy a cable that "create" an 8pin or I need to buy a new PSU with 24+8 pin cable?

Thanks! [emoji24]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marcet

Contributor
I Have bought everything!

I'm trying to install it, but when I have look that my PSU have only a 24pin + 4pin 12volts cable and my motherboard need 24+8 cable... Is there a possibility to buy a cable that "create" an 8pin or I need to buy a new PSU with 24+8 pin cable?
If your PSU is only 4 pins for CPU, then it should be an old one.
Adding an adapter 4to8 pins won't give you the extra Amps needed.

Jacopx

Patron
If your PSU is only 4 pins for CPU, then it should be an old one.
Adding an adapter 4to8 pins won't give you the extra Amps needed.

Like i have imagined! :(

I have buy another PSU and everything is work!
I have some problem:
1) Does my motherboard have IPMI? How can i use it?
2) My graphs report are empty, how can i solve it? All sensor are working, my system show me all report data in the process report display but i can't view it from the graphs...

Attachments

• Process_Display.png
    Process_Display.png
    241.3 KB · Views: 254
  • Report_Graphs.png
    Report_Graphs.png
    170.8 KB · Views: 254

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Like i have imagined! :(

I have buy another PSU and everything is work!
I have some problem:
1) Does my motherboard have IPMI? How can i use it?
2) My graphs report are empty, how can i solve it? All sensor are working, my system show me all report data in the process report display but i can't view it from the graphs...
Which board did you get? Looks like the x10 has IPMI, but x9 appears to not have

Jacopx

Patron
Status
Not open for further replies.