BUILD New Home Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacopx

Patron
Hello everyones, i'm using freenas since about 1 year. I've used some "recycled" components from an old desktop computer. I like a lot this system and i have decided to build a new good power server. I'm not an expert of hardware and i'm here to ask your help to avoid problem. These are my hypothetical parts:

Mobo: Supermicro X10SRL-F (315€) ---> Supermicro X9SRA (291€)
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2670 SR0KX (120€)
Cooler: Noctua NH-U12DX i4 (65€) ---> Cooler Master Hyper T4 (35€)
SSD: SanDisk ReadyCache 32gb (34€)
RAM: 16GB 2133MHz, Reg, 2 Rank ECC (130€) ---> 16GB - 1600MHz, ECC, Reg (128€)
PSU: 550W al least
HHD: around 3-8 drives of 3 TB
Case: Antec One (60€)

These are my question:
1) Are all of my part compatible?
2) I really need the SSD for the system? Or an USB is enough?
3) 380W are quiet good for the power?
4) Is there some less expensive mobo good for my system?

For now, i'm think that i have asked enough, i'm waiting for your answers!

Last edited:

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
2) why would you need ssd for the OS? The recommendation has typically always been run it off a quality USB thumb drive.

3) not for that number of drives

Jacopx

Patron
2) why would you need ssd for the OS? The recommendation has typically always been run it off a quality USB thumb drive.

3) not for that number of drives

2) Yes, i don't now why...
3) how many drive can i manage with di power?

Mr_N

Patron
I wouldn't use 3TB drives :)

With 380W i wouldn't go above 4 drives but really depends on what your system uses without any to begin with...

Jacopx

Patron
I wouldn't use 3TB drives :)

With 380W i wouldn't go above 4 drives but really depends on what your system uses without any to begin with...

Why? (For the drives hint)

Ok, thanks! ;)

Mr_N

Patron
so many problems with 3TB drives from seagate, and I'm skipping 6TB ones also :P

Jacopx

Patron
so many problems with 3TB drives from seagate, and I'm skipping 6TB ones also :p
Ah ok, i've understand! I'm using WD RED, even they have problems?

danb35

Hall of Famer
...and as to the OS device, a USB stick has been the traditional recommendation--they're small, cheap, and widely available. They're not very fast, but that doesn't really matter for FreeNAS, since the OS is mainly loaded into RAM on boot anyway. However, experience with ZFS boot pools has shown that the reliability of USB sticks is pretty horrid. A small SSD or SATA DOM is generally much more reliable.

It's your call. Losing a boot device with FreeNAS isn't a catastrophe, especially if you have a backup copy of your config database, but it can be a hassle.

Marcet

Contributor
Ah ok, i've understand! I'm using WD RED, even they have problems?
My 10 x WD RED 3 TB have an average Power On Hours of 23578 hours without any issue.
My 10 x WD RED 6 TB is doing good since 1400 hours.

WD RED is always a good choice. Seagate always a bad one ;)

Jacopx

Patron
My 10 x WD RED 3 TB have an average Power On Hours of 23578 hours without any issue.
My 10 x WD RED 6 TB is doing good since 1400 hours.

WD RED is always a good choice. Seagate always a bad one ;)

Good, thanks!

...and as to the OS device, a USB stick has been the traditional recommendation--they're small, cheap, and widely available. They're not very fast, but that doesn't really matter for FreeNAS, since the OS is mainly loaded into RAM on boot anyway. However, experience with ZFS boot pools has shown that the reliability of USB sticks is pretty horrid. A small SSD or SATA DOM is generally much more reliable.

It's your call. Losing a boot device with FreeNAS isn't a catastrophe, especially if you have a backup copy of your config database, but it can be a hassle.

I have already loose a boot device, when i was a supermega noob, and I did not have a backup!

Mr_N

Patron
Seagate always a bad one ;)

Only recently, back in the day seagate were solid, I have plenty of old Seagate drives that still work fine :)

Marcet

Contributor
Only recently, back in the day seagate were solid, I have plenty of old Seagate drives that still work fine :)
You're perfectly right. They have been reliable in the past.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Why are you going with an e5 system but only putting 16gb of memory in it. What are you going to use this system for? I think you can go with less CPU, less motherboard.

Jacopx

Patron
Why are you going with an e5 system but only putting 16gb of memory in it. What are you going to use this system for? I think you can go with less CPU, less motherboard.

16gb are for start, i want to upgrade it up to 32gb! I have read that this CPU is really powerful despite its price, is cheaper than a i5 but more performing! or i'm wrong?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

Because of this article. I have a feeling there are about to be a bunch more posts like this in the near future.

Jacopx

Patron

Jacopx

Patron

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Well if you are picking the correct hardware for your usage scenario then it's not a big deal and it will work great. Those CPU's used are a fantastic bargain in performance/$. If I had the extra cash for a toy right now I would probably build one for myself just for an esxi sandbox to play in.

Jacopx

Patron
Fortunately i haven't already buy everything, i'm trying to buy a DDR4 RAM for a DDR3 CPU!! :O

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Fortunately i haven't already buy everything, i'm trying to buy a DDR4 RAM for a DDR3 CPU!! :O
Are you sure? What version on the CPU is it? The motherboard uses ddr4 and v4 of the CPU use ddr4.

Status
Not open for further replies.