SOLVED Need help, but don't tell me what to do

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Hi all,

I've been having some problems with a NAS I built for myself years ago out of junk parts and I want to know if you all can help me to figure out why it's not faster than my friend's NAS... I think it might be running TrueNAS SCALE.

Before anyone asks, "I've pressed all the buttons, brainiac!".

When I look at it on a Tuesday afternoon, the lights flash at me in a pattern that's all too disconcerting and I don't like it. I'm also sure the clicking sounds it makes every 5 seconds are subliminal advertising.

When I remove a disk or two during a large file transfer, the transfer slows down. It gets even worse when I pull out the network cables.

It makes too much noise when the fans are going full blast and the disks overheat and fail when I unplug the fans. I need a solution to make the fans turn off while my wife is in the room.

Oh, and I'm not going to share any of my hardware details or pool layout, because it's clearly not relevant to my issues and you guys know nothing anyway.

And when I install Apps or jails, the system complains that I'm not being consistent with my versions.

Just thought I'd get in a few months early with my April Fools.

Happy New Year everyone! (also a little early)

Last edited:

Arwen

MVP
And the old favorites:

TrueNAS or ZFS does not do XYZ, but it MUST or I will bad mouth TrueNAS and complain about it for the rest of my life.

I need to fully customize TrueNAS, because the GUI does not have the features I need. And don't tell me to use FreeBSD with ZFS or Linux with ZFS, I want TrueNAS because it does the NAS part.

Do I really have to manage my TrueNAS? I ignored it for years, (just like LTT), and now on my 6 disk RAID-Z2 I have 3 completely failed disks, and 2 others with bad blocks. Can I get the data back?

Davvo

MVP
How is possibile that I lost my data?! I came to TrueNAS because it was the most safe and it could be used with my old gaming rig since I don't want to spend that much for overpriced server hardware!
You and TrueNAS are crap!!

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
Just thought I'd get in a few months early with my April Fools.
It's funny but none of those are jokes. Everyone has been posted, some multiple times.

The TrueNAS developers are ignoring my requests to support my 20 year old laptop with 2GB RAM. Windoze XP runs fine so TrueNAS should run fine too, and have six USB Archive drives so I have lots of storage. I can't believe that this totally free product is still in use by anyone and it should be banned.

The paid forum moderators are not doing their jobs. They should be fired for not fixing the problems with a Vulcan mind meld with the obsolete computer I'm using.

We all have stories and heard so many people promote wild claims over the years. It's funny to reflect on them but what isn't funny, it's still going on. Many people here are lazy, especially new subscribers to the forum, and yes, even many people who are old subscribers who as previously mentioned, setup a NAS and forgot about it, until it started acting up. Then they are clueless on what to do. There are times where I'd just like to stop all the key helpful forum members from posting any help, maybe for 2 weeks. Let the those folks actually read the manual for TrueNAS, search the forums for the answer that has been answered 20 times before. But unfortunately I like to help the deserving people out there who ask politely and do provide the required data. I dislike having to ask for them to read the forum rules and provide details.

This is a funny thread and I do understand it. It's good to vent your frustrations. I especially liked the part about making the NAS quiet when the wife walks in. Too funny and I can relate from many years ago. But my NAS is in a place now where it could be noisy if it wanted to be. My daughter was walking past it a few weeks ago and told me it sounded like a fan was failing. She was right. I replaced the fan the next day.

Anyway, I hope everyone does have a Happy New Year!

sretalla