FreeNAS 9.10 W/ PMS... Now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DLMJOSLIN

Dabbler
Good Day,

I'm new to the home server scene and now that I just finished building my home server running FreeNAS 9.10, and PMS in a jail, This project opened my eyes to just how useful it is to have my own server. So my question is what else can I use it for besides file backup/media serving? I don't own a business, and its just my wife and i for now. As far as torrenting goes, my ISP caught me once and gave me a warning. Since then I have stopped torrenting "files" for safe measure until I can figure something else out. open to any suggestion/tips.

Current Build (will upgrade, now that I have a feel for it)
Tower: Lepa mid ATX (W/two stock Fans)
CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4 GHz
CPU Fan: Cooler Master
Board: ASRock H97M-ITX
RAM: Crucial Ballistix DDR3 16GB
HDD/SDD: (3) 2TB WD Green 5400RPM 3.5" drives (RAID Z1 Config)
The first thing I was going to upgrade was adding two more drives to the pool. unless I should upgrade something else first. Like I said I'm a noob at this.

DLMJOSLIN

Dabbler

maglin

Patron
You can run your own dns lookup server for all the devices in your home. It doesn't speed up your internet in ways you can actually see but it will reduce DNS resolves in about 1/3 to 1/2 of the time after the first time it's already been resolved. I spend 2 days getting my DNS working properly running unbound. I'm also using Squid as a proxy server to speed up common internet browsing as well as saving me some bandwidth. Along with Squid I'm running Privoxy to block most add sites and popups from ever being retrieved. This also is set up to only allow HTTPS connections to the internet. Not secure but definitely better than just browsing in the open.

As for how to set it up I spent days setting it up. And it needs to be tailored to your network setup. Not DNS so much but the proxy does. I still have a few kinks to work out regarding my owncloud getting past my proxy from outside the network. You can usually just google "FreeBSD" and the application you want to install and read many versions because usually they are over a year old and won't work to configure it today correctly.

FritVetBE

Explorer
You could also host a web site or web application inside a jail. I've been thinking about creating a Getting Things Done web application, but unfortunately my developing skills (especially PHP) are next to zero :D

Running a VPN server on your server is also very useful; it allows you to connect to your home LAN over a secure connection from any place in the world: https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...-6-with-access-to-remote-hosts-via-nat.22873/

Owncloud might also be interesting, it allows you to host your own personal cloud on your server. You could compare it with dropbox, but the files are thus hosted on your own environment and not with a third party:
https://owncloud.org/
guide on how to get it running on your server: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/how-to-owncloud-using-nginx-php-fpm-and-mysql.17786/

snaptec

Guru
Maybe Look at nextcloud, not owncloud, some devs have left owncloud

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.