For Sale: FreeNAS Custom Build Define R4 w/Window [located in US]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DEEFyYVE

Dabbler
Hi everyone,
I am relocating and need to sell this build in next 2-3 days. At suggestion/permission of a mod, I am posting it here. Please refer to notes at bottom for details.

Here are the specs:

Code:
AMD A6-6400K 3.9GHz Dual-Core Processor

Gigabyte GA-F2A85XM-D3H Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard

Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage
3 x Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
1 x Toshiba 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case

Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Samsung SH-224FB/RSMS DVD/CD Writer Optical Drive (supports M-DISC)

You can also find it at PCPartPicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6DgtkT

Notes about the system:
I chose this motherboard since it has "8 native SATA3 ports with up to 6Gbps link speed and RAID 0, 1, 5, 10 support". I didn't want to have LSI cards. The system works great and is stable.

The system is "like-new" and mostly stayed unplugged in covers. Total uptime should be less than 2 months total. I know its unusual, but I never had the time to set it up properly as always-on home media center plugged to the network. Please let me know if there's a way to figure out total system uptime so it can be verified by you as a potential buyer.

The only analogue verification I have is that - when it is turned ON, it still has the "new electronics" scent around it from the airflow.

I am thinking of selling the above system in following ways:
1. Whole system with HDDs and everything.
2. Only the system without HDDs incase you have your own storage.
3. Individual parts to individual buyers. The sales in this case will only be final when most of the parts have a buyer.
4. I am open to your suggestions. :)

Notes:
My original thread is at: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/where-can-i-sell-my-freenas-build-quickly.48921/

Other members and moderator “Ericloewe” suggested I post here.

Feel free to ask any questions. Please reply to this thread or PM me if you are interested in any parts listed above.

Thanks for your time.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Good luck with the sale, but that system is not going to be a good FreeNAS performer.

Realtek GbE LAN chip (10/100/1000 Mbit)

We tend to run away from desktop motherboards...For good reason.

But perhaps someone will buy it as an actual desktop system. Seems like a pretty good desktop.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Yeah, I mean, I don't want to hurt your sale. But this is a pretty right-up-the-middle parts list for "exactly what we would not recommend for a FreeNAS". Do you have the model number on those Seagate drives? You might actually be better off taking a ball peen hammer to those drives, than trying to sell them, if they are the 3TB I am thinking of.

DEEFyYVE

Dabbler
Realtek GbE LAN chip (10/100/1000 Mbit)
Can be mitigated by adding an Intel NIC.

Seagate consumer drivers are that bad? Z2 should help.

I built this system after reading various FreeNAS guides which mostly focused on having 8+ GB of ram.

This should do fine for a low traffic system or just as a normal desktop.

Or replacing few parts and keeping the rest. Define R4 is quite silent.

RoboKaren

Contributor
Seagate consumer drivers are that bad? Z2 should help.

The Seagate 3TB drives were terrible. Many people experienced 100% failure rates. Mine was only 80% over two years. :-(

Failure rates that high mean that there's a high likelihood of more than 2 drives failing at once, which even Z2 can't handle.

p.s. You should note where you are located. You don't list even a country.... you should at minimum list your city and whether local pickups are ok.

RoboKaren

Contributor
I have mentioned US in the title.

Once someone shows interest, delivery/pickup can be arranged.

The US is a very big place. If we don't know where you're located, why should we have any interest? A $30 motherboard isn't worth $10 in shipping. It might be worth a local pickup.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.