NAS on a Dutch budget :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dwarf Cavendish

Contributor
Hello,

I am interested in buying my first NAS to safely store my stuff. First I was opting for a Synology unit, but after some reading on FreeNAS and ZFS I think that running my own FreeNAS will be more... satisfying, not to mention more robust with respect to protecting my stuff. I work as a software developer and feel that managing my own NAS shouldn't be too hard and fun too.

I am on a budget though, so I am opting for a HPE Proliant Microserver Gen10. I almost finalised my decision to buy this box, the final hurdle is to find out how bad this Marvell 9230 controller really is. I would hate to end up with a degraded pool because of controller quirks in six months... But the box has ECC RAM, is fairly power-efficient and should be more than enough for holding my documents and photos for great value, so I hope that I can clear this Marvell hurdle!

gpsguy

Welcome to the forums!

Please search the forums for that model. I believe one or two users have run into trouble with it. I think there was a message in the last day or two regarding it.

Dwarf Cavendish

Contributor
Will do! So far I know that there is some bug in FreeBSD that causes the console to hang on these Microservers that can be circumvented by adding certain boot parameters. I am curious to what additional information/issues I will find here.

Status
Not open for further replies.