NAS build with existing harware and or cash budget

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason Evans

Explorer
I updated the instructions to make this a little clearer. :)

LOL, thanks, leave it to the guy who can see, but can't see. Went ahead and refreshed, definitely easier to follow, although for those who aren't blind, I'm sure it's no issue for them ;)

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about

Jason Evans

Explorer
Just as an FYI it is recommended to first flash the BMC, reboot and then the BIOS; then reboot. It will reboot a couple times after the BIOS so don't panic. ;)

That's what has to happen anyway.. The drive I'm using is setup for just those 2 items. So what i'll do is flash BMC, reboot, then remove drive once it's complete, delete the drive on main PC, then put BIOS on there, then flash bios, this is to ensure I don't bork it up.

Mirfster

Jason Evans

Explorer
BIOS and BMC are flashed, now I just need to crossflast the LSI card. I think I found something here on the forums on how to do it, was there a guide you used @Mirfster ?

I also forgot to mention that the server came with both power cables, and enough screws for the HD bays to install 13 drives, guess the extra 4 are in case one or 4 get lost. Seems like a few HD bay LED's are bad though.

Mirfster

I attached my files. Normally I have them all in a single folder called "H200", but since there is an upload limit I had to break them into different zips.

Just unzip them all into a folder called "H200" (if you want to follow the instructions verbatim in the "ReadMe.txt").

Folder structure should look like:
H200
Dell_V7
LSI_P7
LSI_P20
ReadMe.txt​

Attachments

• Dell_V7.zip
    617.5 KB · Views: 244
  • LSI_P7.zip
    932.6 KB · Views: 236
  • LSI_P20.zip
    1 MB · Views: 226
  • ReadMe.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 281

maglin

Patron
Chrome doesn't have Java anymore so you can't access your IPMI from it. Have you tried Internet explorers? I personally hate it but it always works for Java to get into my switches management console. I don't use FF but am going to grab an older FF portable as that sounds like a great thing to have.

My C2100 should be here by Friday. Looking forward to setting it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mirfster

Seems like a few HD bay LED's are bad though.
Check the actual drive tray itself. There are two plastic channels that run down the side which are used to bring the light from the backplane LED to the front of the tray. I have seen where some of them are broken which would cause it not to light up on the front of the tray.

Mirfster

Jason Evans

Explorer
I attached my files. Normally I have them all in a single folder called "H200", but since there is an upload limit I had to break them into different zips.

Just unzip them all into a folder called "H200" (if you want to follow the instructions verbatim in the "ReadMe.txt").

Folder structure should look like:
H200
Dell_V7
LSI_P7
LSI_P20
ReadMe.txt​

Directions are straight forward, I tried the sas2flash cmd, assuming through MS dos, or do I need hit the ctrl+c on bootup? probably do knowing me, lol.

Chrome doesn't have Java anymore so you can't access your IPMI from it. Have you tried Internet explorers? I personally hate it but it always works for Java to get into my switches management console. I don't use FF but am going to grab an older FF portable as that sounds like a great thing to have.

My C2100 should be here by Friday. Looking forward to setting it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did try IE, and it didn't work, but since flashing the BMC and bios, it now works in FF, and IE. Haven't tried chrome yet, and don't care to. I am no remoted in and can mess with the BIOS through FF. Much better then having to go the server every time.

Check the actual drive tray itself. There are two plastic channels that run down the side which are used to bring the light from the backplane LED to the front of the tray. I have seen where some of them are broken which would cause it not to light up on the front of the tray.

I will check that once I get this card flashed over. Didn't think about that, thanks!

Mirfster

Directions are straight forward, I tried the sas2flash cmd, assuming through MS dos, or do I need hit the ctrl+c on bootup? probably do knowing me, lol.
I do all mine via a FreeDOS USB Boot drive that I create with Rufus. If you have a MS DOS bootable, that should work fine too. Not 100% sure what you mean by "CTRL+C" though.

I should get around to making a bootable ISO image that just has all this on there (would make things easier).

Jason Evans

Explorer
I do all mine via a FreeDOS USB Boot drive that I create with Rufus. If you have a MS DOS bootable, that should work fine too. Not 100% sure what you mean by "CTRL+C" though.

I should get around to making a bootable ISO image that just has all this on there (would make things easier).

I did indeed make a DOS bootable drive using Rufus. All the files are on there now. When the server is booting, you have an option to hit Ctrl+C to see the LSI info.

going to start the process here shortly to flash it.

upload_2016-6-28_21-53-53.png

Mirfster

When the server is booting, you have an option to hit Ctrl+C to see the LSI info.
Ahh, okay. You don't need to hit "CTRL + C" to enter the H200 Configuration Utility. Some people prefer to actually not have the BIOS on the HBA (so it boots a little faster). I like having it there so I can see it detecting the drives and stuff, but rarely ever need to enter the Configuration Utility.

Jason Evans

Explorer
Ahh, okay. You don't need to hit "CTRL + C" to enter the H200 Configuration Utility. Some people prefer to actually not have the BIOS on the HBA (so it boots a little faster). I like having it there so I can see it detecting the drives and stuff, but rarely ever need to enter the Configuration Utility.

upload_2016-6-28_22-6-34.png

any ideas?

I skipped one since it's v7xxx. I think that could be it?

Mirfster

Out of curiosity, was this attempted after a reboot (would be best to if you are starting over)? This link, has more details and goes so far as to write the "sbrempty.bin" (megarec -writesbr 0 sbrempty.bin); which I have only had to do on rare occasions.

Worst case give those instructions a looksy. Keep in mind the C2100 does not have UEFI so instructions pertaining to that can be ignored.

Jason Evans

Explorer
... updates instructions to "buy Supermicro instead" ... :tongue:
Once I get my budget back. This was a learning experience for which I'm glad I did TBH. [emoji3]
Out of curiosity, was this attempted after a reboot (would be best to if you are starting over)? This link, has more details and goes so far as to write the "sbrempty.bin" (megarec -writesbr 0 sbrempty.bin); which I have only had to do on rare occasions.

Worst case give those instructions a looksy. Keep in mind the C2100 does not have UEFI so instructions pertaining to that can be ignored.
It was after a reboot. But the USB stick was a turd. Put the same file on another USB stick and it installed without a hitch. Been up and running since last night.

Thanks again for all your help and guidance. Had to take a break and will be back at again today to run some tests and what not.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.