NAS build with existing harware and or cash budget

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason Evans

Explorer
Ah, okay, that's better then. :p

on a side note though, I think I might be getting another server blade here soon, a HP G8 I think it is. Buddy of mine is the IT head for the company he works for. Guess he said it's being decommissioned.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about

Jason Evans

Explorer
If you do get this, let us know how it compares noise wise.
I definitely will. I believe he said it's a 6 core x2. Trying to get more info from him. Could possibly be 24 thread server. Which I think I would get windows 2012 R2 and run just Plex on it. Then just do backs up that server on the Dell. Dell would be the dedicated back up rig. Over kill, but free is free.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Jason Evans

Explorer
@Mirfster Question for you, do you log in through the IMPI? BMC? or whatever is lol. I know this model doesn't support iDrac. Wanted to use the web interface to access this. Any tips?

Thanks

Mirfster

Yep, I use IPMI all the time. From the initial FreeNas install (via Virtual ISO) to Powering On or Off, etc.

Since it is Java based, you will need to add the URL to the "Exception Site List" in Java (Screenshot below). Between the FreeNAS Web GUI, IPMI and Putty (What I prefer for SSH) you would rarely need to ever physically go to the machine aside from when actually working on the hardware.

Personally, I use DHCP Reservations based on MAC Address for IPs so I have 3 cables connected to each Server. The 2 "Stacked" NICs are running LAGG "Fail-Over Mode" and the IPMI NIC usually is given an IP that is one higher.
Example:
FreeNAS = 10.20.10.8
IPMI = 10.20.10.9
  • In the BIOS, I usually have to set the IPMI NIC to "Dedicated-NIC" from "Shared-NIC"
  • The default User and PW of IPMI is "root" (for both), so you will want to change that once you get in
  • Both User Name and PW are Case-Sensitive, so keep that in mind too
  • Don't try to use the IPMI in FreeNAS, it really doesn't work well and is pretty much useless IMHO; just go directly via your Web Browser
  • All of the vital stuff works in IPMI, but some of the "Sensors" reporting for like Voltage kinda suck but that is not really much of a concern TBH
upload_2016-6-25_6-27-20.png

Last edited:

Jason Evans

Explorer
Yep, I use IPMI all the time. From the initial FreeNas install (via Virtual ISO) to Powering On or Off, etc.

Since it is Java based, you will need to add the URL to the "Exception Site List" in Java (Screenshot below). Between the FreeNAS Web GUI, IPMI and Putty (What I prefer for SSH) you would rarely need to ever physically go to the machine aside from when actually working on the hardware.

Personally, I use DHCP Reservations based on MAC Address for IPs so I have 3 cables connected to each Server. The 2 "Stacked" NICs are running LAGG "Fail-Over Mode" and the IPMI NIC usually is given an IP that is one higher.
Example:
FreeNAS = 10.20.10.8
IPMI = 10.20.10.9
  • In the BIOS, I usually have to set the IPMI NIC to "Dedicated-NIC" from "Shared-NIC"
  • The default User and PW of IPMI is "root" (for both), so you will want to change that once you get in
  • Both User Name and PW are Case-Sensitive, so keep that in mind too
  • Don't try to use the IPMI in FreeNAS, it really doesn't work well and is pretty much useless IMHO; just go directly via your Web Browser
  • All of the vital stuff works in IPMI, but some of the "Sensors" reporting for like Voltage kinda suck but that is not really much of a concern TBH
View attachment 12371

im still stuck lol... Trying to find this IPMI stuff to even access the server. I am able to ping the server from CMD, but I can't access it even though I did add the IP to the exception list in Java. Any guidance would be much appreciated :)

Mirfster

Trying to find this IPMI stuff to even access the server.
Are you sure you have the correct IP Address? If you are unsure, you can look in the BIOS (where you set it to "Dedicated-NIC"); it will show you what IP it has obtained if you are using DHCP

Also, to access the IPMI all you need to do is browse to the IP Address in your Web Browser (I use FireFox):
upload_2016-6-28_4-3-18.png

You may be prompted about an "Insecure Connection"; Just Click/Select "Advanced" then "Add Exception":
upload_2016-6-28_4-10-13.png

Then in the "Add Security Exception" Dialog; Click/Select "Confirm Security Exception"
upload_2016-6-28_4-12-30.png

From there you should then be prompted for Login:
upload_2016-6-28_4-14-4.png

Let us know which parts you are not able to get to. :)

Jason Evans

Explorer
Are you sure you have the correct IP Address? If you are unsure, you can look in the BIOS (where you set it to "Dedicated-NIC"); it will show you what IP it has obtained if you are using DHCP

Also, to access the IPMI all you need to do is browse to the IP Address in your Web Browser (I use FireFox):
View attachment 12426

You may be prompted about an "Insecure Connection"; Just Click/Select "Advanced" then "Add Exception":
View attachment 12429

Then in the "Add Security Exception" Dialog; Click/Select "Confirm Security Exception"
View attachment 12430

From there you should then be prompted for Login:
View attachment 12431

Let us know which parts you are not able to get to. :)

ok, so I downloaded FF to try and use that, no-go. I added in already to the JAVA the IP to which is shows in the BIOS, checked my router to the bios, and both are reading the same IP. Few things that differ are that I don't have 2 either net cables plugged in to the NIC's. I do of course have one plugged into the BMC/IPMI port. I can ping the server view CMD, and I was also able to use the IPMIviewer from supermicro. I can see most of the stuff, read out of temps, mobo, S/N etc, so I definitely know ( well at least thing) the IP is correct. Just having no luck accessing it through a web browser. no OS is installed yet, nothing has been flashed. I wanted to have access through IPMI first before I started the install, etc.

I keep getting "connect refused". I am a chrome user, but I tried with FF as well.

Mirfster

I was also able to use the IPMIviewer from supermicro. I can see most of the stuff, read out of temps, mobo, S/N etc, so I definitely know ( well at least thing) the IP is correct.
Yep, that is fine I was going to mention to try and use that as well. So the fact that you are able to connect to it from that is a good thing. Within the SuperMicro IPMI View, what happens if you Select then Right-Mouse Click on the Server and choose "Open in Browser"?
upload_2016-6-28_4-58-4.png

Jason Evans

Explorer
Yep, that is fine I was going to mention to try and use that as well. So the fact that you are able to connect to it from that is a good thing. Within the SuperMicro IPMI View, what happens if you Select then Right-Mouse Click on the Server and choose "Open in Browser"?
View attachment 12432
I will report back in the morning. Seeing double and scratching my hair out. Lol. I knew this would give me some hiccups. Glad I have this community to lean on. Appreciate the help as always.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

jgreco

Resident Grinch
With the various browsers trying to retire Java, Flash, etc., and move towards HTML5, it's pretty important to try the latest version of the IPMI firmware and often an older browser. To avoid mucking up your PC, you can usually download one of the older Firefox Portable's and use it exclusively for sysadmin work on devices that don't support the latest SSL, Java-less integration, Flash-free security strategy, or whatever the hangup of the day is.

Jason Evans

Explorer
View attachment 12432

I get the same error, Can't connect.

With the various browsers trying to retire Java, Flash, etc., and move towards HTML5, it's pretty important to try the latest version of the IPMI firmware and often an older browser. To avoid mucking up your PC, you can usually download one of the older Firefox Portable's and use it exclusively for sysadmin work on devices that don't support the latest SSL, Java-less integration, Flash-free security strategy, or whatever the hangup of the day is.

Tried portable FireFox and still isn't making a connection. Going to mess around in the BIOS and see if maybe I missed something that needs to be enabled.

Mirfster

Out of curiosity, when you view the system in IPMI Viewer what version is shown in the "IPM Device" Tab?
upload_2016-6-28_20-8-15.png

What version of Java are you running?
upload_2016-6-28_20-12-0.png

Is Java enabled in the browser (Guessing it is, but...)
upload_2016-6-28_20-15-12.png

Did you get any of those prompts I mentioned in post #70 (like "Your connection is not secure" or "Add Security Exception")? If not then it may be a Java configuration issue (under Java Control Panel - Advanced). If this is the issue, then we can go over some of the settings..

Jason Evans

Explorer
Out of curiosity, when you view the system in IPMI Viewer what version is shown in the "IPM Dev
ice" Tab? View attachment 12443

What version of Java are you running?
View attachment 12444

Is Java enabled in the browser (Guessing it is, but...)
View attachment 12445

Did you get any of those prompts I mentioned in post #70 (like "Your connection is not secure" or "Add Security Exception")? If not then it may be a Java configuration issue (under Java Control Panel - Advanced). If this is the issue, then we can go over some of the settings..

I didn't get any of those prompts with firefox or Chrome.. Firmware is 01.78, and IPMI is 2.0. As I stated a few replies back, I have not flashed any firmware, bios and the others you suggested. Maybe that is why I am having issues. I did start the download process of the bios and firmware, but for some reason I don't see these few items in step 3.

In the extracted "pec2100bmc179" folder
  • Navigate to the "SOCFLASH\dosflash" folder
  • Copy "DOS4GW.EXE" and "socflash.EXE" to the "BMC166" folder
upload_2016-6-28_18-41-58.png

I've found the other part for 166, and the .bat is already created. I think I am having more issue than I should lol. I know it's operator error, HAHA.

my java is

C:\>Java -version
java version "1.8.0_91"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_91-b14)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.91-b14, mixed mode)

Mirfster

Status
Not open for further replies.