BUILD $350 budget build

Status
Not open for further replies.

warheat1990

Cadet
I have a very limited budget around ($350) and I want to build a computer for freeNAS. I don't want to buy a prebuilt so can someone give me an advice for this build? Going to pull the trigger this weekend.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G4400 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($56.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H110M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($51.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Patriot Viper 4 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2800 Memory ($57.21 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Red 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.38 @ OutletPC)
Case: Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($33.09 @ B&H)
Total: $328.65
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-13 11:57 EDT-0400

I'll add more RAM and Harddrive in the future and I'll be using this NAS for torrent and media player. I don't really care about the data, I just want to fill movies, TV series, and maybe some not really important picture and documents.

My top priority is speed (both read and write) and power consumption.

Anything I should change?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Power consumption will be about the same with all modern parts. My xeon e5 system will idle about the same as your system.

You would be better off buying a Dell t20 and adding more memory. Probably going to cost you just over $400 but you will have a way better system that will work correctly. Specifically the motherboard you have chosen uses realtek NICs which are garbage under freebsd.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Yeah but they work way better under windows. My desktop Windows system with realtek nic does OK for itself but could be better.

warheat1990

Cadet
Power consumption will be about the same with all modern parts. My xeon e5 system will idle about the same as your system.

You would be better off buying a Dell t20 and adding more memory. Probably going to cost you just over $400 but you will have a way better system that will work correctly. Specifically the motherboard you have chosen uses realtek NICs which are garbage under freebsd.

Any recommendation to replace that mobo?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I gave you a suggestion in my post that you just quoted. Anything else is going to cost more. You can read the suggested hardware thread in my signature.

Mlovelace

Guru
I 2nd the Dell T20 Pentium recommendation, it's going to be the best bang for your buck, and the system you're spec'ing doesn't include ECC ram. If you're building or buying new then you should always opt for ECC when it comes to freeNAS.

Dice

Wizard
My xeon e5 system will idle about the same as your system.
This is contrary to reads I've come across. The statement would be true when comparing E3's vs pentium, not so much when comparing E5s?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
This is contrary to reads I've come across. The statement would be true when comparing E3's vs pentium, not so much when comparing E5s?
It'll be a bit more, but the CPU itself will be rather close. Other hardware will naturally add idle power.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
If you take out my drives and hba my system idles at ~58watts. This is with usb boot media, x10 supermicro motherboard and e5-1620. There might be some extra power used by the backplane but I have to clue how much.

Dice

Wizard
Status
Not open for further replies.