NAS build with existing harware and or cash budget

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason Evans

Explorer
I am wanting, no I am needing to build a NAS on a budget. I recently had a hard drive fail, and lost some data (mainly photo's). I had a budget of 2k at one point and my build already setup. But, wife moved on from her job so money is tight. I wanted to get some help with a possible build with my new budget and or with current hardware I have at home.
Goals for the NAS, file storage, back-ups of each computer in the house (4), PLEX media server/trans-coder.

Budget now is $800 USD.

some hardware I have laying around are a EVGA socket 775 motherboard, with a Q6600 Extreme core 2 quad, trying to locate the mem (16gbs) NONE ECC. so there is issue one.
2, 3TB seagate HD's, want to add 6 more, but can add 4 for a total of 6 to fit in budget. Hard drives are no even close to ideal.

So can I build a NAS with 800?

Thanks!

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
So can I build a NAS with 800?
Sure, but not with those parts. If you are wanting to use those parts, then TBH FreeNas is not what you are looking for. There are other ones that you may want to consider instead if you are dead set on using the existing parts.

As well, if you are wanting 4-6 more drives that is going to be a significant bulk of your budget.

Several contributors use a Dell T20 which is a pretty low cost solution (Thinking like $180.00?). There are limits on how many drives it can hold, but search the forums for "Dell T20". Back to the hard drives, you can consider "used hard drives" on eBay that are from reputable vendors and have a decent warranty (like ~ 1 year) to help cut costs.

Mirfster

back-ups of each computer in the house (4)
Just wanted to mention that FreeNas is not a replacement for a properly designed and maintained backup solution. Never count on one thing to be then "say all end all" solution for backups. ;)

Jason Evans

Explorer
Thanks for the input so far, this will be a temporary solution for until I can get my original build up and going. I just need this to last like 2 years. or less. Will be buying the parts over the course of getting this "cheaper" version running. So by the time I have everything I can build a proper box, with proper parts and then dismantle the old box.

ttabbal

Dabbler
For that budget level, used server parts, including drives, is about the only way to go. An older xeon board, ECC ram, and sometimes with a LSI HBA can be had <200.

A couple examples...

http://m.ebay.com/itm/371656429068

Nice case, decent internal parts, just add a couple CPUs. Note that the backplane is SAS1, so 2.2TB drive limit, I think. Backplanes are pretty easy to swap out later if you like though.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/252316261804

Add a few pair of those, and you're good to go with plenty of expansion possible. I have a few mirror pairs of those drives. I had one DOA, easy return process. The others have been through badblocks, smart, and some test ZFS runs to check them out. All working fine. They tend to come with about 20k hours use, I expect a couple years use will be easy to get from them.

That can get you a nice setup under your budget, without sacrificing reliability. And you can add mirrors as needed for space increases, helping keep the future budget down.

Mirfster

Fine, gonna make me throw out a mention for the Dell C2100/FS12-TY eh? ;)

If you are good with a Rack Server, then check out some thing like this for $415.00. Basically a "Turn Key System"; just add your hard drives. For more info on this particular model (My "weapon of choice") see this thread: "Ode to the Dell C2100/FS12-TY"

Jason Evans

Explorer
Fine, gonna make me throw out a mention for the Dell C2100/FS12-TY eh? ;)

If you are good with a Rack Server, then check out some thing like this for $415.00. Basically a "Turn Key System"; just add your hard drives. For more info on this particular model (My "weapon of choice") see this thread: "Ode to the Dell C2100/FS12-TY"

I Was just literally looking at the rack! nice rack ;) I am really thinking I should pull the trigger on this. This is what I love about this forum, great people and info!

Mirfster

IMHO you really can't go wrong with that platform for the price point and versatility. I use it exclusively for pretty much everything. If you do grab it and have any issues, I will always be happy to try and provide assistance.

Jason Evans

Explorer
IMHO you really can't go wrong with that platform for the price point and versatility. I use it exclusively for pretty much everything. If you do grab it and have any issues, I will always be happy to try and provide assistance.

Much appreciated! Do you run Plex off it? if so does it transcode 1080 vids fine over you network?

Mirfster

I don't use Plex personally, if I went that route I am more of a Kodi fan. Believe it or not I still have Popcorn Hour A110 NMTs on all my TVs (Meh, if it ain't broke no need to fix it). However, there should not be any issue with running Plex or trans-coding. A lot of users are running Plex on systems with way less horse-power so IMHO that would be a "walk in the park" for the C2100.

Jason Evans

Explorer
I don't use Plex personally, if I went that route I am more of a Kodi fan. Believe it or not I still have Popcorn Hour A110 NMTs on all my TVs (Meh, if it ain't broke no need to fix it). However, there should not be any issue with running Plex or trans-coding. A lot of users are running Plex on systems with way less horse-power so IMHO that would be a "walk in the park" for the C2100.

Fantastic news!

I contacted the seller per your guide, and am awaiting reply.

besides harddrives, what else would I "need" to get this bad boy up and running? I know you said "turn key" but there are always those little items that over looked and won't be able to get everything up and running without them. I WILL over look them ahha.

Mirfster

Only things I can think of are:
  1. Get the Hard Drive Tray Screws (if they don't provide them). There is a great deal/price on these here (thanks to @kngpwr for the tip)
  2. If you want to use SSDs (mirrored) for the OS grab two cheap ones off eBay (my preferred method)
    • Example ones for like ~$25.00 each
    • I know they are 80GB and larger than needed, if you can find 32GB ones cheaper that will be fine as well
    • FYI, you can mount 2 x 2.5" drives internally so that makes things much easier (I have actually modded a few of mine to hold 3 and thinking of going to ~5 using MSata to SATA carriers...)
      • Screws and Washers for internal 2.5" drives... I had to find/locate these and ended up just grabbing them from Home Depot (Lowes did not carry them)
      • They were "M3-.5 x 10MM Pan Head Combo Machine Screws" and #6 Flat Washers
      • Might get away with 8MM screws and maybe a better fitting washer, but that is what I grabbed and they work fine
  3. More than likely you will have to cross-flash the H200, so be ready to make a DOS USB Boot stick and search the forums to familiarize yourself with this process
    • Same goes for the BIOS and BMC
    • Process may seem daunting but is easy actually
    • *** I am actually making a ISO that can be mounted in IPMI and make this process much easier, if I get that completed I will be more than happy to share/post it
That should be it, of course there may be small things like SATA Cables (if you use the internal SSDs option) and normal power cables for the Server (if it doesn't come with them); but those things can be picked up anywhere.

Come to think of it, I am going to contact the Seller myself and suggest to them a configuration that is truly "turn-key" specifically for FreeNas (H200 cross-flashed to 9211-8i, IT Mode and P20 as well as the suggested BIOS and BMC). Maybe they will be willing to do so if it helps their sales...

Jason Evans

Explorer
  1. Get the Hard Drive Tray Screws (if they don't provide them). There is a great deal/price on these here (thanks to @kngpwr for the tip)
  2. If you want to use SSDs (mirrored) for the OS grab two cheap ones off eBay (my preferred method)
    • I know they are 80GB and larger than needed, if you can find 32GB ones cheaper that will be fine as well
    • FYI, you can mount 2 x 2.5" drives internally so that makes things much easier (I have actually modded a few of mine to hold 3 and thinking of going to ~5 using MSata to SATA carriers...)
      • Screws and Washers for internal 2.5" drives... I had to find/locate these and ended up just grabbing them from Home Depot (Lowes did not carry them)
      • Might get away with 8MM screws and maybe a better fitting washer, but that is what I grabbed and they work fine
  3. More than likely you will have to cross-flash the H200, so be ready to make a DOS USB Boot stick and search the forums to familiarize yourself with this process
    • *** I am actually making a ISO that can be mounted in IPMI and make this process much easier, if I get that completed I will be more than happy to share/post it
That should be it, of course there may be small things like SATA Cables (if you use the internal SSDs option) and normal power cables for the Server (if it doesn't come with them); but those things can be picked up anywhere.

Come to think of it, I am going to contact the Seller myself and suggest to them a configuration that is truly "turn-key" specifically for FreeNas (H200 cross-flashed to 9211-8i, IT Mode and P20 as well as the suggested BIOS and BMC). Maybe they will be willing to do so if it helps their sales...

Thanks again for your help! Have not heard back from the seller yet, but I think I just might pull the trigger to get this thing shipped so I can see where I am budget wise. Will probably have to go with less drives for a few weeks due to budget shrinking by about 90 bucks. No big deal though, I can wait just a little longer, but this is a great start.

Mirfster

I just got a response from the Seller and they are not up for doing it... :( Oh well, I can check with the other vendors. While the "modifications" would not be that difficult I was hoping they would entertain the idea and make a small niche for themselves...

New message from: esisoinc (20,961 )
Hi, I am sorry to say that we cannot do the configurations. We can only provide the hardware and make sure that everything is working.

Your previous message

Hello,

I was wondering if you would consider a configuration that would essentially be a "Turn Key" solution for FreeNas? I am a forums contributor over at FreeNas.org and have suggested/recommended the C2100/FS12-TY. Your listing is actually one of the ones I link readers to that looking to purchase a Server.

If you all were willing to make a couple slight changes/modifications (BIOS, BMC Firmware, H200 Cross-Flashed to 9211-8I IT Mode with P20, etc) then it would truly be a benefit getting additional purchasers. For reference, here is a link to the thread I created and in Posting #3 I link to this very item on eBay (https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/ode-to-the-dell-c2100-fs12-ty.43665/).

If you want to discuss I would be more than happy to, then you could even list it as a "Turn Key FreeNas".

Thanks.

Jason Evans

Explorer
Here is a quick update!

New message from: esisoinc (20,961 )
Hi, please see my replies below.

1. Yes, both heatsinks have the copper contact.
2. Yes, comes with 12 trays.
3. Cable is included.

Thanks.

Jason Evans

Explorer
I just got a response from the Seller and they are not up for doing it... :( Oh well, I can check with the other vendors. While the "modifications" would not be that difficult I was hoping they would entertain the idea and make a small niche for themselves...

Ahhh, well I just placed the order, should be here before end of the month, which is fine. I am in no rush, but in a rush, if that makes sense lol

Jason Evans

Explorer

Thinking about it. Could I possibly use 2 USB drive plugged in to the back? Cause I think that's what I was going to do with my other build.
Thanks

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Mirfster

Thinking about it. Could I possibly use 2 USB drive plugged in to the back? Cause I think that's what I was going to do with my other build.
Thanks
Sure can, if you are really adventurous there are two USB 10-Pin Male Headers inside on the MB that are for "Front USB Connectors". While I have never seen a C2100/FS12-TY with "Front USB Connectors"; you might be able to use something like this to have those USBs internal. *** Not 100% sure it the angle is correct or if it would actually fit, just thinking outside the box. ;)

Jason Evans

Explorer
Sure can, if you are really adventurous there are two USB 10-Pin Male Headers inside on the MB that are for "Front USB Connectors". While I have never seen a C2100/FS12-TY with "Front USB Connectors"; you might be able to use something like this to have those USBs internal. *** Not 100% sure it the angle is correct or if it would actually fit, just thinking outside the box. ;)
I think that could work. I was looking at 2 of thesehttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FYNSZA/?tag=ozlp-20

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Mirfster

Status
Not open for further replies.