NAS Build options

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pitfrr

Wizard
And, given that motherboard (i.e. socket 1151), why wouldn't you consider a xeon CPU (like for example E3-1220 v5 and the v6 seems cheaper...)?
Or an other socket (older but cheaper) with a xeon CPU?
Just a thought....

The choice I would do: I'd go for the cheapest CPU then (probably Pentium G) and I wouldn't bother with i3-6300/8300.
And I would later on upgrade to a xeon CPU (or directly go for it).

But otherwise the CPU 8350k or 8300 seems good, I don't have any experience with them, so I can't say much.
And the mainboard too, it just doesn't have IPMI (which I find a pity :tongue:).

typhonragewind

Dabbler
And, given that motherboard (i.e. socket 1151), why wouldn't you consider a xeon CPU (like for example E3-1220 v5 and the v6 seems cheaper...)?
Or an other socket (older but cheaper) with a xeon CPU?
Just a thought....

I keep forgetting xeons, i'm not used to them xD
But i'll check them out aswell

The choice I would do: I'd go for the cheapest CPU then (probably Pentium G) and I wouldn't bother with i3-6300/8300.
And I would later on upgrade to a xeon CPU (or directly go for it).

But otherwise the CPU 8350k or 8300 seems good, I don't have any experience with them, so I can't say much.
And the mainboard too, it just doesn't have IPMI (which I find a pity :p).

Not very keen on the cheap processor strategy, tbh :P
I have no need for IPMI, it will live close to me!

Pitfrr

Wizard
I have no need for IPMI, it will live close to me!
Sure if you have access to your server almost as easily as your desktop computer then you might not need it.
But as soon as the server is put somewhere (in a cupboard or so) with no monitor, it's really helpful.

For the xeon, I understand because I had the same "problem"... The very first hardware I bought for FreeNAS was an i3... but then (before even setting it up) I switched to a xeon.

typhonragewind

Dabbler
Sure if you have access to your server almost as easily as your desktop computer then you might not need it.
But as soon as the server is put somewhere (in a cupboard or so) with no monitor, it's really helpful.
That reminds me, that particular board does not have any video output port. How will i connect to it to install FreeNas?

Pitfrr

Wizard
Ah right! :tongue:
Maybe it's wireless.... (nooo just kidding here! :-D)

That means you have to add a graphic card on this motherboard, that is a pity...
Here an other argument to go for a xeon and a server grade motherboard! :tongue: Or at least to see if a suitable combination at relatively low price is possible (like the one in your 2 first config).

typhonragewind

Dabbler
Ah right! :p
Maybe it's wireless.... (nooo just kidding here! :-D)

That means you have to add a graphic card on this motherboard, that is a pity...
Here an other argument to go for a xeon and a server grade motherboard! :p Or at least to see if a suitable combination at relatively low price is possible (like the one in your 2 first config).
Yeah, that was what i thought, but i wanted to confirm it wasn't just a weird port i'd never heard of xD

It's supposed to be a server board though....but i'll find an alternative

Pitfrr

Wizard
I was also surprised, I checked on supermicro's website and apparently they have some models like that.
At first I thought it might be a desktop model (do they do desktop motherboards?!?)... but it doesn't seem...
Or maybe I missed something (I'm still on the X9 family board!!). :smile:

typhonragewind

Dabbler
I was also surprised, I checked on supermicro's website and apparently they have some models like that.
At first I thought it might be a desktop model (do they do desktop motherboards?!?)... but it doesn't seem...
Or maybe I missed something (I'm still on the X9 family board!!). :)
They do desktop boards, but the specs don't make it look like one
You know more than me xD

pro lamer

Guru
wasn't just a weird port i'd never heard of xD
Some may be able to attach something to the serial port, some console or something, but this is just a wild guess and I'm not experienced with it at all...

Edit:
graphic card on this motherboard, that is a pity...
Especially it may occupy the x16 slot... Does the motherboard support bifurcation?

Edit2:
I wonder if this board can boot without any GPU. Imagine this scenario:
1. Install a GPU temporarily
2. Install FreeNAS
3. Remove the GPU
4. Use the PCIe slot for a HBA/10Gbit/SPF+
edited because it's a bad idea

Edit3:
Or a USB attached GPU but this is a very wild guess and may not work with BSD or FreeNAS. Dunno

Sent from my mobile phone

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
Sorry, I've been on travel for the past week and in the airport now waiting to fly home. Sometimes I do need to work to pay the bills.

Please note that I do not have a lot of experience with Bhyve so I'm not sure what the CPU requirements are nor how to configure assignment of resources under Bhvye. I'm just offering up an opinion based on what I've read here and there and what I'd do if it were me. I would use a true quad core CPU and buy the fastest you can afford. This may mean that you wait a little longer to same up some money if it means buying a good CPU the first time around. If you ream my system specs, that would be a good CPU and I'm sure you could find a similar one if you wanted a slightly newer version of it. The term "Future Proof" comes to mind and you can do that in this respect if you have plans to run many VMs. Plex transcoding can be very demanding on some CPUs, especially if you are splitting time between all the processes going on. Anyway I think you have heard my advice and just take your time and plan out what you really want. I could ship you my system and you would be very happy with it. Many folks have made very good and stable systems here and you could just use that as a guide instead of trying to guess at what looks good. My current system was not my first FreeNAS system, it is my second and final unless I have a failure or just have a lot of money laying around (we all could wish for that).

I hope my opinions guide you to a CPU that fulfills you needs.

pro lamer

Guru
If you ream my system specs, that would be a good CPU
Your signature consists of two systems. Which of them did you mean?

Sent from my phone

typhonragewind

Dabbler
Some may be able to attach something to the serial port, some console or something, but this is just a wild guess and I'm not experienced with it at all...

Edit:

Especially it may occupy the x16 slot... Does the motherboard support bifurcation?

Edit2:
I wonder if this board can boot without any GPU. Imagine this scenario:
1. Install a GPU temporarily
2. Install FreeNAS
3. Remove the GPU
4. Use the PCIe slot for a HBA/10Gbit/SPF+
edited because it's a bad idea

Edit3:
Or a USB attached GPU but this is a very wild guess and may not work with BSD or FreeNAS. Dunno

Sent from my mobile phone

I'd rather not risk it and find another board tbh, but you had some neat ideas!

Sorry, I've been on travel for the past week and in the airport now waiting to fly home. Sometimes I do need to work to pay the bills.

Please note that I do not have a lot of experience with Bhyve so I'm not sure what the CPU requirements are nor how to configure assignment of resources under Bhvye. I'm just offering up an opinion based on what I've read here and there and what I'd do if it were me. I would use a true quad core CPU and buy the fastest you can afford. This may mean that you wait a little longer to same up some money if it means buying a good CPU the first time around. If you ream my system specs, that would be a good CPU and I'm sure you could find a similar one if you wanted a slightly newer version of it. The term "Future Proof" comes to mind and you can do that in this respect if you have plans to run many VMs. Plex transcoding can be very demanding on some CPUs, especially if you are splitting time between all the processes going on. Anyway I think you have heard my advice and just take your time and plan out what you really want. I could ship you my system and you would be very happy with it. Many folks have made very good and stable systems here and you could just use that as a guide instead of trying to guess at what looks good. My current system was not my first FreeNAS system, it is my second and final unless I have a failure or just have a lot of money laying around (we all could wish for that).

I hope my opinions guide you to a CPU that fulfills you needs.
There's no need to apologize, you do the best you can with your life restrictions!
I agree with you on Future-proofing and i'll probably wait a bit more so i can increase my budget to get a nice CPU.

I'm really grateful for your advice, it has helped me a lot in de-abstracting my build and refine it!

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess he's not referring to the AMD FX-4300 from 2012.

So - E3-1230v5 it is, but @joeschmuck can chime in if I'm wrong.
Sorry, been pretty busy at work. Yes, the E3-1230v5 is the correct one. There are other similar versions and newer and it's just an example.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I'm really grateful for your advice, it has helped me a lot in de-abstracting my build and refine it!
Most of us are here to help and make your experience a good one with FreeNAS. I've been with it since it started and have seen a lot of changes occur, good and bad. I have seen a lot of good and bad users on the forums as well. Unfortunately a good user to start can become a bad user if FreeNAS fails them but normally it's unrealistic expectations on the persons part. If we can educate you that this is not a turn-key system and does require you to invest some time and learning, we can at least try to keep you on the good side of things.

Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.