Plex/Media NAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stux

MVP
You don't need the HBA until you want more than 8 drives connected. I count 7.

You want unregistered/buffered ram. (UDIMM)

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Plus 1 ssd is more than enough for a boot drive. Mirrored ssd boot drives really isnt neccessary.

bommar2

Cadet
You don't need the HBA until you want more than 8 drives connected. I count 7.

You want unregistered/buffered ram. (UDIMM)
Thanks. I'd seen some advice to run the storage drives off the HBA and the boot drives off the mobo mostly for futureproofing as I may add drives.

As far as the RAM will registered memory not work? What's the reasoning for UDIMM?

bommar2

Cadet
Plus 1 ssd is more than enough for a boot drive. Mirrored ssd boot drives really isnt neccessary.

Good to know. I already purchased these and they were only $30 each - I guess I will use one for boot and one for plex metadata as I've read that can slow things down if it's not on an ssd.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I've read that can slow things down if it's not on an ssd
I've been seeing this posted lately. I don't believe it one bit. All my metadata is stored in my jail which is on my main pool and I don't experience any sort of slowdowns or performance issues of any kind.

Stux

MVP
Thanks. I'd seen some advice to run the storage drives off the HBA and the boot drives off the mobo mostly for futureproofing as I may add drives.

Bad advice.

In the future, you can add an HBA if you need more Sata/SAS ports. Other reason is to pass through a controller for VM use, again you don't need to buy something upfront that you can purchase later to "future proof"

As far as the RAM will registered memory not work? What's the reasoning for UDIMM?

Check your motherboard specs. I believe you'll find that RDIMMS are not supported.

Status
Not open for further replies.